Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-25-2007   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default The key to winning...

Is to stop shooting ourselves in the foot anytime we have momentum.

We force a turnover, but come away with no points.

We force them to punt, but then punt ourselves shortly later.

We start driving downfield, but stall out when someone drops a ball, Schaub throws a bad pass, we get a penalty on us, turnovers, etc.

We've gotta stop making boneheaded plays anytime we have momentum, that's why we lost today. Failure to take advantage of opportunities and sustain drives.
Old 11-25-2007   #2
Ckw

Default Re: The key to winning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post

We start driving downfield, but stall out when someone drops a ball, Schaub throws a bad pass, we get a penalty on us, turnovers, etc.

We've gotta stop making boneheaded plays anytime we have momentum, that's why we lost today. Failure to take advantage of opportunities and sustain drives.
I couldn't agree more. Owen's fumble summed it up. We were marching down the field and boom he fumbles. It was pitiful. We just didn't get anything going.
Old 11-25-2007   #3
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

The common theme in all of our losses is us shooting ourselves in the foot by making boneheaded plays.

Every team makes a boneheaded play every now and then. But the good teams keep those plays to a minimum and when they do make them they overcome them.
Old 11-25-2007   #4
nut
All Pro

Rep Power: 165 nut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respected

When we started the year out, the big difference between last year and this year was the ability to still concentrate on winning after starting the game off going down a couple touchdowns. The team had the confidence to overcome being down. Today, the team looked like they didn't think they could do it. I hope I'm wrong.
nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #5
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But the good teams keep those plays to a minimum and when they do make them they overcome them.
True, and teams that are marginal are overcome by them. We need to get better at playing and we need to get more talented.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #6
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 9120 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

IMO this was an embarrassing loss and one of our worst of the year. Despite a couple of bad L's we (were) legitimately competing for a playoff spot and Cleveland was a very beatable team. I should clarify by saying I never really believed we would make the playoffs--precisely because we continue to play like a young team in a very strong division and conference, not to mention our remaining schedule--but purely in terms of Ws and Ls it was very possible.

So 60 minutes later, after OD's fumble (I cringed watching him leave the ball out there like that), Schaub's handful of bad throws and a couple of key defensive meltdowns, we end up losing a game that was ours for the taking, effectively bouncing us out of the playoff race. Sure, we're banged up, but we had the tools necessary for the job and we just didn't get it done.

It's a shame and I hope we make the most of our last month of games because we have a lot to improve on heading into next year, but I felt particularly frustrated today, moreso than I have throughout many other Texan debacles I've witnessed.
Old 11-25-2007   #7
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Nice post. What it really adds up to is that if you take advantage if the situations you spelled out instead of having the one mistake that stalls a drive, you put the pressure on the other team. We never applied the pressure thus they took their time getting into their rhythm and by the 3rd quarter they owned us. They could feed Lewis because we never showed we would put the pressure on them with our offense.
Old 11-25-2007   #8
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

I was way way way more frustrated in the San Diego debacle. Although seeing Winslow sitting open in zones brought back memories of Gates being "covered" by CC Brown.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #9
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Owen Daniels is a klutz, but he wasn't our only problem today. The defensive line wasn't not getting any pressure and Schaub more or less sealed the deal with a horrendous throw that was intercepted. The offensive line didn't play well, either. The tackling was pathetic and the special teams didn't seem to show up, either.

A toast to Ron Dayne. The only player who felt the need to show up and play football during what was an important game.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #10
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

I was more frustrated than I thought I would be as I really didn't expect us to win in the first place. But when the defense did relatively well in the first quarter, I thought we had a chance. Then the Texans from the without Andre part of the season showed up.

Cleveland just outplayed us and out coached us and that irritates me no end. By this time we shouldn't be out coached and should be more consistent than we are. What makes it so frustrating is that you don't know which team is going to show up from one possession to the next.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #11
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Agreed.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #12
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I was way more bugged about the ATL loss and the SD loss than this.

The ATL loss was bad because they are a really bad team and we should have won that one, but it just seemed like we were really flat coming out after the heartbreaking Colts game. We really looked like we didn't want to win that one.

The SD loss just got out of hand really fast, and we never had a chance to catch up in that one. On top of that, SD is also playing very mediocre football, and I thought they could easily be beatable.

But then I remember that we have 2 pretty decent looking defensive ends in their 2nd and rookie years respectively. We also have a really great MLB, and a real good CB (who's hurt). Then we also have a QB who is starting for his first year on a completely different team. Matt Schaub is really performing above my expectations for the season, and I beleive as it stands right now that with his ability to get rid of the ball, and ability to pick apart a defense when given time, he seems a better fit than our last QB. He does have accuracy problems when he's got opponents in his face, he does seem a tad injury prone, and he seems to be throwing up lots of picks. I expect more improvement next year, or else we've really got a problem on our offense.

But enough of that, what I really think the key to winning is, is patience, and a determination and will to win. It'll happen, and I'll feel good when our time has come, and I've been in since they were bad. Because bandwagon fans are pure crap in my eyes, and will never really have a great understanding of the team they supposedly support, and the trials they have been through.

It's always more fun to root for a team through the bad and good times, than just the good.
Old 11-25-2007   #13
Hookem11
Rookie

Although we definitely made some bone head mistakes today, mistakes will always be a part of the game, this team, as far as it has come, still has a lot of holes to fill, and it will take another 2 offseasons to get where we need to be to be able to truly contend and have the talent to win without playing a flawless game. We clearly need a LT, RB, speed DE and FS and could be additionally helped by an OLB and playmaking WR or TE, there are a lot of holes, and not all need to be filled with an all pro but there is a lot of work that can be done personnel wise before worrying about playing perfect football, as nice as it is that we are in the playoff race this season, it is evident that it is above our heads at this point, IMO another good offseason or two and we will be to the point where we can make a mistake or two and still overcome it to win games
Hookem11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #14
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunno but the rummor of a very bad Brownies back seven was greatly exaggerated. We were going to run against them with impunity ? Yeah right. Tell me another one. The punked us. I mean when your all pro Wr has only eight targets and four catches for twenty nine yards by the middle of the third quarter, something is terribly wrong. Another thingy, how the heck, when we haven't run the end around in a bit with J.J., do they just sit on the danged play and kill it ? Incredible. The common theme in some of these fumbles is our guys being surronded by three guy and getting killed as they are tring to tuck the ball away. Here's something completly different, how about targeting the guy who is open ? Just me, they knew what was comming at just about every snap. Easy game when you can read the other guys mail. Tendency, oh yeah, we got those by the trunk full.

I'm tired of seeing Flnagan getting punked by every no named DT with size we run across. Make the GD switch . It cannot, no matter how bad the other guy is, be any worse than it is now. Put money down, you're going to see the beast back in the middle for Tennesse next week. I shudder to think about how bad that will be. He is a ZBS, underized, old guy tring to run a power game. Didn't work in '06 and after five games, a knucle dragger like me has already figured out it isn't going to work the last five. Give the kids some snaps. Saints DTs must be prety danged aweful.

So we're going to run the table the last five...yeah right.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read