Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-14-2007   #21
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Anyone Care to Re-visit the Babin-for-Boulware Trade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
hey i never said morency was great but hes a good bit better than gado.. you cant hold the fact that GB got a pretty good rb in addition to him as a reason the trade was good for us...
The made that trade after having ample time to find out of Morency was going to be able to be productive for them, and the fact that they made the trade shows that the Packers had about as much faith in Morency as the Texans did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
anyway its not really worth arguing cos it seems you have it in your head the texans can do no wrong and have to justify that despite the reality.. thats alright but we did lose on both trades- were they huge franchise- changing loses? no but it still would be nice if we hadn't made them...

we've done ok on most of the big decisions so far, namely

mario V vince V reggie
schaub
amobi
I don't think the Texans can do no wrong, but I refuse to hlod everything against them. In both deals we traded non-star players who had failed to produce (and yes Bain failed to produce, at least in the coaching staff's eyes; and we won't get in to what we gave up for Babin) for two players who at least had a shot at producing. Neither trade can be called a bad deal for any of the four teams involved. You can say that none of trades went the way the teams involved had hoped, but nobody made a horendous deal.

Last edited by Errant Hothy; 11-14-2007 at 12:45 PM.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #22
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

The trade was made so late, you can't really evaluate it yet. Babin would have contributed here as a situational pass rusher - a role player. Boulware was familiar with the system Seattle was running and would have served a backup role there, if the money didn't prohibit that (from what I heard at the time fo the trade). On new teams, that late in the game, with no training camp, neither of them will do much for the teams they went to this year.

What makes the trade a win for us, if you can call it that, is that we have a warm body at SS, which we didn't have after Earl went down. We had a glut of defensive linemen. Even as nothing more than a special teams warm body, Boulware is better than whatever we could sign off the street at this point.
Old 11-14-2007   #23
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Boulware, I believe, was more than an attempt to plug a hole this year. I think they like him and see him as someone who can beat out Glenn Earl at SS. Babin was gone after this year, regardless. So, I'd say the can't be graded yet.
I'm in complete agreement with you on this.

I don't believe that Rick Smith made that trade to turn our SS spot into a strength "by week 6". I think he took a spot where we had some depth and used it to get a guy he expects to beat out our incumbent during camp next year. By the end of the season I think Boulware will be competing against the other safeties with an equal understanding of the defense scheme (if you can call this crap the Texans (Smith/Bush) roll out there a "scheme")

Next training camp I think they expect him to push Glenn Earl to the bench. It may or may not happen but I think that was the intent. Rick Smith knows as well as anybody that bringing a guy into a new system with no training camp isn't going to help you right away.

He got a chance to trade a surplus for a need (with little risk since Babin wasn't exactly setting the world on fire here to begin with) and as a nice side effect it made a lot of fans who thought Boulware would be starting in two weeks happy for a while.
Old 11-14-2007   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

You have to give up nothing to get nothing in this league.
Old 11-14-2007   #25
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Tulip just wondering what the point of all of this is. The Guy wasn't kevin Green, was never going to be Kevin Green and we don't run the 3-4 anymore. The guy had hit his ceiling. What we spent to get him, that there thingy was a bust. The sooner he was out the door the sooner the team could lick it's wounds. the fact that we got anything at all for him was a positive for me.
I disagree. We ran the 3-4 with him for a couple of years, then moved him to his natural position at DE, where he led our team in sacks in his first year back to DE (i know, 5 is still pretty bad). I think that moving a player back to his natural position, or even moving them to a different position all together merits a couple years of evaluation. No, Jason Babin didn't look good as a 3-4 OLB and yes, the Texans spent way too much on him, but I believe he was a solid player and had potential to be a better player. I would take situational pass rushing over a ST player any day, especially how little pressure our DL has gotten on the QB this season.

Who cares what we spent on him? If it turns out Travis Johnson turns out to be a decent player, but not FIRST ROUND talent, does that mean we should trade him? Because MW might never live up to his first pick status, does that qualify him as a bust? After a player is drafted, we should try to not look at where they were drafted, but just look at how they are contributing to the team. Ryans contributed much more than a second round draft pick should have last year, so does it matter that he was a second rounder? Fred Bennet is playing well this year, does it matter that he was a fourth rounder? Babin cost the Texans, yes. But he was a decent player and one could argue that he never really HURT the texans with his play. Bouleware has had a history of blowing coverage and while he may be contributing on STs, and while Babin might not be playing in Seattle, I still think that this trade was a complete wash, for both teams.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #26
3andOUT
Rookie

It was like trading paper for plastic. YOu had a guy, you didn't have a spot for and didn't think fit in that much and you traded him for a body to fill your injury decimated secondary. Because we had some no names in the secondary and we went out and got a familiar name, people automatically thought this guy was going to be an answer. I don't think anybody in the Texans organization thought this guy was going to be more than a special teamer.
3andOUT is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read