Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-10-2007   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chronic: Opponents are running all over the Texans

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5287487.html

Quote:
"I'm very surprised at our run defense, especially considering as much time as we spend on it," defensive coordinator Richard Smith said. "That's the most disappointing thing."
Quote:
"We haven't played the run as well as we wanted, even though we've played eight in the box quite a bit," Smith said.

Losing injured cornerback Dunta Robinson, who plays the run as well as any player in the league at his position, is going to hurt. The Texans already lost safeties Glenn Earl and Jason Simmons for the season in training camp.

"We've dealt with injuries going back to camp," Smith said. "Losing Dunta is a hard situation to deal with, but nobody's going in the tank."

More changes are coming. Robinson's injury has forced the coaches to move free safety Von Hutchins back to corner. Will Demps replaces Hutchins at safety.

The defensive backs, especially cornerback DeMarcus Faggins, have been the target of criticism for most of the season. But if the Texans rushed the passer more effectively, their performance might improve.

"Our sacks haven't improved," Smith said. "There have been more that were coverage sacks and not from pressure. We have to get more pressure on the passer."
Quote:
"Over these last seven games, we want to become one of the more physical defenses in the league," Smith said. "We want to create more turnovers with big hits. And, of course, we want to get more pressure on the quarterback."
Quote:
"It was obvious that Mario was seeing the ball a little different," coach Gary Kubiak said. "He was very quick off the ball (at outside linebacker)."

Williams stood up three times. Outside linebacker Danny Clark dropped down to end. The Raiders ran on two out of three plays.

"A lot of guys like to be in their three-point stance because they feel better coming (out of their stance)," Kubiak said. "Some guys see the ball a little better when they're standing up. Whatever it was, he was quick off the ball in those few situations.

"It's something he likes, and if it makes him better and makes us better, then it's something we have to take a look at."

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Chronic: Opponents are running all over the Texans

Quote:
"Our sacks haven't improved," Smith said. "There have been more that were coverage sacks and not from pressure. We have to get more pressure on the passer."
Everyone knows our secondary blows...but even the coach states clearly that they may be doing a better job than our 'big time' (roll eyes) pass rushers who get all that top coin. You figure we would be at least solid vs the run...but we haven't been, even with all our overloaded fronts.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007   #3
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Everyone knows our secondary blows...but even the coach states clearly that they may be doing a better job than our 'big time' (roll eyes) pass rushers who get all that top coin. You figure we would be at least solid vs the run...but we haven't been, even with all our overloaded fronts.
The question is; do you think it is scheme or talent?

And after all the ranting about how much Rick Smith sucks, does anybody really take him seriously?

I hate the bye week.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
The question is; do you think it is scheme or talent?

And after all the ranting about how much Rick Smith sucks, does anybody really take him seriously?

I hate the bye week.
You have seen Mario and his milquetoast pass rushing skills...if he's the best we got, that's the best we got. Asking him to stand up because he can't play out of a stance is a bit unnerving for me. I don't think that Smith is all that great a coach but even Bum Phillips became a better coach when he finally got some talent....it's no coincidence that his teams weren't as good when he went to the Saints.

Old 11-10-2007   #5
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You have seen Mario and his milquetoast pass rushing skills...if he's the best we got, that's the best we got. Asking him to stand up because he can't play out of a stance is a bit unnerving for me. I don't think that Smith is all that great a coach but even Bum Phillips became a better coach when he finally got some talent....it's no coincidence that his teams weren't as good when he went to the Saints.
I've also heard Kubiak praise Mario, only to have Smith says that they are not getting is pass rush; and I trust Kubiak over Smith. And I though you would as well after the debacle of the CB assignments in Carolina. I also have a hard time beleiving that we are generating that many coverage sacks, but I quess it goes hand in hand with Kubiak's praise of the secondary, espically the S and Faggins.

I'm offically starting to get concerend about Mario's abilites, but hopefully his youth will help him and he'll put it together (is the top 06 draft rapidilly becoming one of the most disappionting/over rated in a long while?)

Bottom line is, dispite my worries, I think Smith is the biggest issue woth the defense; and therefore I really don't give what he says much credence.

I hate the bye week.
Old 11-10-2007   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
I've also heard Kubiak praise Mario, only to have Smith says that they are not getting is pass rush; and I trust Kubiak over Smith.
You can't observe the games and see that we don't get much pass rush? You have to have someone tell you what you are looking at? Is that what I'm reading from you? Besides being a lousy pass rushing team there are only 4 teams in the NFL that defends the run worse than us as we give up nearly 5 yards a carry (4.6 ypc). I'm looking for a bright spot on the defense but they are all injured.

Old 11-10-2007   #7
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
you have to have someone tell you what you are looking at? Is that what I'm reading from you? Besides being a lousy pass rushing team there are only 4 teams in the NFL that defends the run worse than us as we give up nearly 5 yards a carry (4.6 ypc). I'm looking for a bright spot on the defense but they are all injured.
In a field that I have nothing near an expert level knowledge in...yeah, soemtimes it helps to hear from those you know more then I do. Is that so odd? I tend to think that Mario has more responsibilty then just generating sacks, and comments from Kubiak would tend to back that up; but I also know that Mario is still struggling.

Mainly I found it odd that Kubiak and Smith tend to contradicte each other on this topic; and I'm curious if you have to believe one which one do you believe, and why? Personnaly I don't trust Smith as far as I can throw him, espically after watching his D purposly line Faggins up on Smith and not make an adjustment.

I hate the bye week.

Last edited by Errant Hothy; 11-10-2007 at 02:21 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 11-10-2007   #8
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey, Hoth-Boy...

How do you feel about the bye week?
Old 11-10-2007   #9
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
Hey, Hoth-Boy...

How do you feel about the bye week?
I love it, why do you ask?

I hate the bye week.
Old 11-11-2007   #10
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I guess when the offense to the ball 6 times in one game, 5 times in another, that it had nothing to do with the defense?
leebigeztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007   #11
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Chronic: Opponents are running all over the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I guess when the offense to the ball 6 times in one game, 5 times in another, that it had nothing to do with the defense?
Can I pick any past tense verb?

I guess when the offense "farted" to the ball 6 times in one game, 5 times in another, that it had nothing to do with the defense?
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007   #12
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post

I guess when the offense T.O. the ball 6 times in one game, 5 times in another, that it had nothing to do with the defense?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
Can I pick any past tense verb?

I guess when the offense "farted" to the ball 6 times in one game, 5 times in another, that it had nothing to do with the defense?

I Think that is what he was going for...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:

Mainly I found it odd that Kubiak and Smith tend to contradicte each other on this topic; and I'm curious if you have to believe one which one do you believe, and why? Personnaly I don't trust Smith as far as I can throw him, espically after watching his D purposly line Faggins up on Smith and not make an adjustment.

I hate the bye week.
I believe that they are all posturing. Smith risks losing his job and is telling it like he see's it and Kubiak has a long term interest in keeping Williams spirits high. I see spin from both. Mario isn't the biggest problem on defense....I'm not even sure he is a "problem", but he hasn't been a solution either. We don't rush the passer well and he is our weakside edge rusher.

Bottom line is that we can see Dunta make some "difference making plays" on at least a semi-regular basis....we see Shaub do it, we see DeMeco do it, we see AJ do it....I'd just like to see Mario do it like an elite player is supposed to do it (and no, that doesn't mean he has to have sacks to make a difference) - just blow up a 3rd and something to get the team off the field or something like that on at least a semi-regular basis.

Old 11-12-2007   #14
Ckw

Quote:
I believe that they are all posturing. Smith risks losing his job and is telling it like he see's it and Kubiak has a long term interest in keeping Williams spirits high. I see spin from both. Mario isn't the biggest problem on defense....I'm not even sure he is a "problem", but he hasn't been a solution either. We don't rush the passer well and he is our weakside edge rusher.

Bottom line is that we can see Dunta make some "difference making plays" on at least a semi-regular basis....we see Shaub do it, we see DeMeco do it, we see AJ do it....I'd just like to see Mario do it like an elite player is supposed to do it (and no, that doesn't mean he has to have sacks to make a difference) - just blow up a 3rd and something to get the team off the field or something like that on at least a semi-regular basis.
The fact is Mario doesn't have that quick twitch to be a weakside defensive end. He could certainly be a dominating strongside, but he's not a weakside pass rusher. Regardless of all the dough we have tied up in the defensive line, we won't be getting our moneys worth if we don't find a quick twitch guy opposite of Mario. Can anyone tell me why we don't play Shantee Orr a little more opposite Mario?
Old 11-12-2007   #15
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42948 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The problem is we don't have any OLB's to speak of and the lack of a run stopping SS.

We should be blitzing our LB's more but we don't. Ryans gets to the QB very effectively but used sparingly due to the lack of LB talent. Are OLB don't shed blocks well on run plays and our SS always seems to be playing out of position.

Those are the problems I see.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #16
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Fair enough, about the coaching staff; I hadn't thought that Smith would already be in job saving mode. IF he is makes me wonder if Kubiak is ready to make a change, or if he is starting to rely on Bush more then Smith?

I wonder if Kubiak would ever fire a coach mid-season?
Old 11-12-2007   #17
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

I know stats can be made to what ever you want so I will let others figure out what they mean.

Tackles for loss - Mario leads the team with 3 and the next player has two, D Rob and Orr (parttime player).

Sacks - Okoye - 5, Mario - 4, Ryans and Maddox ( split-time player) with 2 each, and N.D. Kalu with one. Not a single safety or CB with a single one. Not even an outside LB has a single sack and not a single one with at the very least two tackles for loss.

Is this because of poor talent or poor scheming in the fact everyone is being dropped to far off the line of scrimage? I know we have issues with the secondary but you can not tell me it is this freak bad.
Old 11-12-2007   #18
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
I know stats can be made to what ever you want so I will let others figure out what they mean.

Tackles for loss - Mario leads the team with 3 and the next player has two, D Rob and Orr (parttime player).

Sacks - Okoye - 5, Mario - 4, Ryans and Maddox ( split-time player) with 2 each, and N.D. Kalu with one. Not a single safety or CB with a single one. Not even an outside LB has a single sack and not a single one with at the very least two tackles for loss.

Is this because of poor talent or poor scheming in the fact everyone is being dropped to far off the line of scrimage? I know we have issues with the secondary but you can not tell me it is this freak bad.
It's probably both. I don't think Smith has alot of confidence in the defense and we all know what happens when you play to not make mistakes.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read