Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-23-2005   #1
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Do we have a really good rushing defense?

or is this a product of our pass defense?

We have the fewest rushing TDs allowed of any team in the NFL (4). we are also tied for second worst in passing TDs allowed (32) Greenbay allowed 33.

SO.. you could say that everyone just passed against us.. or you could say that they passed against us because they couldnt run against us.. OR.. you could say that we gave up so many big plays for TDs, that it was a rare occasion where the opposing team was in a 1st & goal situation.

So.. what do you think it is?
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005   #2
TheTim5125
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TheTim5125

I don't really remember alot of goal situations that team would run on us... i mean the colts got there a few times... i don't have an answer
Old 01-23-2005   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

me neither.. but looking at our defensive rushing stats... we werent too bad. We only allowed 4.4 YPC, and teams rushed on us as much as they rushed on other guys. 417 carries. we allowed 1800 rushing yards but only 4 rushing TDs.

I guess you could say our Rushing TDs allowed is a fluke... since the stats dont show that we have an awesome rushing defense. We have a middle of the pack rushing defense.
Old 01-23-2005   #4
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

4.4 YPC allowed is terrible.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005   #5
Grid
Hall of Fame

4.4 is middle of the pack this season
Old 01-24-2005   #6
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

4.4 is the bottom 1/3 of the league
Old 01-24-2005   #7
Grid
Hall of Fame

eh.. not by much. Philly is at #18 with 4.3
Sponsored links
Old 01-24-2005   #8
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Philly doesn't have a good run defense either, although it did improve in the 2nd half of the season with Trotter's presence.
Old 01-24-2005   #9
Grid
Hall of Fame

well like I said.. middle of the pack. Statistically we are nothing special.. so I think the 4 rushing TDs allowed is just a fluke.
Old 01-24-2005   #10
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

opposing teams ran the ball on us 417 times. not a whole lot (7th in the nfl). i think we have a good redzone rusing D, but thats because we stack the line though.

more like a fluke than anything else.
Old 01-24-2005   #11
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

well if they didnt do it on the ground, the stats show they did do it through the air. But i must say the secondary played a much better second half of the season !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005   #12
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

My guess is that they rushed on us between the 20s and then just threw it in. Didn't need to get close enough to run it in. My impression of our defense was that we were week up the middle on the run, but did a fairly good job on the wide runs. We were weak deep and middle passing but handled the wideouts well. Just my impressions.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005   #13
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
My guess is that they rushed on us between the 20s and then just threw it in. Didn't need to get close enough to run it in. My impression of our defense was that we were week up the middle on the run, but did a fairly good job on the wide runs. We were weak deep and middle passing but handled the wideouts well. Just my impressions.

yeah that all seems about how it was. Our D-line is just getting to old, well not including R. Smith !
Old 01-25-2005   #14
Rosusu
All Pro

Well the teams would have to bust a 30 yard run to get into the endzone, otherwise they would just pass for the touchdown because they had no problem doing that. They either scored from outside the redzone or kicked a field goal. 2 of those rushing touchdowns came from the Raiders game if I remember correctly.
Old 01-25-2005   #15
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Well then you have to remember our team did things like stop Priest Holmes on one play and then intercept Trent Green on the next play.

Our defense played tough alot and if you look at games like Green Bay, they stopped GB except for the long pass from Favre, and then you have to take into consideration where we played Indy twice and Indy isn't trying to run the ball in so that Payton can have his record, and then you have to account for the 13 quarters where the D didn't give up a touchdown at all, passing or rushing.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005   #16
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Our D did play an alright season if ya ask me, i mean we found 3 more solid starters on defense D. Rob, G. Earl, and J. Babin. And it is not looking to bad going into next year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read