Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-01-2007   #1
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84
Default Texans free agents: 2008

So, who do you keep...who do you let go:

Quote:
RB - Ron Dayne
RB - Samkon Gado (R)
RB - Chris Taylor (E)
WR - Andre Davis
WR - Jerome Mathis (R)
TE - Mark Bruener
G/T - Scott Jackson (R)
G - Fred Weary
DE - Earl Cochran (R)
DE - N.D. Kalu
DT - Tim Bulman (R)
DT - Cedric Killings
DT - Anthony Maddox
LB - Charlie Anderson
LB - Danny Clark
LB -Shawntee Orr
CB - Roc Alexander
CB - Jason Horton (R)
CB - Von Hutchins
CB - Dexter Wynn
S - C.C. Brown (R)
S - Glenn Earl
S - Jason Simmons
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007   #2
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans free agents: 2008

The restricted guys will probably stay (or get cut) because no team will give up a draft pick for them. Everyone else is completely expendable. The only guy on that list making any sort of contribution is Andre Davis and I doubt that he will want to stay in Houston and will probably get a nice offer from another team. The only other guy with value might be Chris Taylor, but that's yet to be determined.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007   #3
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Keep:
RB - Chris Taylor (E)
WR - Andre Davis
WR - Jerome Mathis (R)
G/T - Scott Jackson (R)
G - Fred Weary
DE - Earl Cochran (R)
DE - N.D. Kalu
DT - Tim Bulman (R)
DT - Anthony Maddox
LB - Danny Clark
CB - Jason Horton (R)
S - C.C. Brown (R)

Could someone give me a quick refresher on Exclusive Rights Free AGents while we're on topic?
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007   #4
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Exclusive rights free agent are player with less than 3 complete years whose contract expired. The team holds their rights and unless the team refuses to sign the player, these are automatic resigns for whatever the minimum.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007   #5
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/Roster.html

Scott Jackosn and Samkon Gado are no longer on the roster.

Keep:
RB - Chris Taylor (E)
WR - Andre Davis
G - Fred Weary
DE - Earl Cochran (R)
DE - N.D. Kalu
DT - Cedric Killings
LB - Danny Clark
LB -Shawntee Orr
CB - Jason Horton (R)
CB - Dexter Wynn
S - C.C. Brown (R)
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007   #6
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1185 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

There are some on that list that I'd say "Keep" and some that I'd scrap in a second. On the other hand, I don't know if maybe the best way to eliminate the culture of losing is to clean house.

I suppose I'd keep Taylor and Mathis. Weary. Kalu. Andre Davis. Everyone else I just find myself saying "Meh." It would be easier to make decisions based on the defense if we could see someone else other than Dick Smith call the schemes and plays.

By the way, I would let the safeties on the list go. I heard that Matt Stevens has been working out and is in great shape - we could sign him.
Old 11-01-2007   #7
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Texans free agents: 2008

Keep (assuming there is someone better to play the spot, people left off are names people I don't think should be starters):

RB - Chris Taylor (E)
WR - Andre Davis
WR - Jerome Mathis (R)
TE - Mark Bruener
G - Fred Weary
DE - Earl Cochran (R)
DE - N.D. Kalu
DT - Cedric Killings
DT - Anthony Maddox
LB -Shawntee Orr
CB - Jason Horton (R)
CB - Von Hutchins
CB - Dexter Wynn
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-01-2007   #8
dalonestartitan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
There are some on that list that I'd say "Keep" and some that I'd scrap in a second. On the other hand, I don't know if maybe the best way to eliminate the culture of losing is to clean house.

I suppose I'd keep Taylor and Mathis. Weary. Kalu. Andre Davis. Everyone else I just find myself saying "Meh." It would be easier to make decisions based on the defense if we could see someone else other than Dick Smith call the schemes and plays.

By the way, I would let the safeties on the list go. I heard that Matt Stevens has been working out and is in great shape - we could sign him.
Mark me down as thinking what you're thinking.
dalonestartitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007   #9
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would keep these guys at least through training camp.

Quote:
RB - Chris Taylor (E)
WR - Andre Davis
WR - Jerome Mathis (R)
TE - Mark Bruener
G - Fred Weary
DE - Earl Cochran (R)
DE - N.D. Kalu
DT - Anthony Maddox
LB - Charlie Anderson
LB - Danny Clark
LB -Shawntee Orr
CB - Roc Alexander
CB - Jason Horton (R)
CB - Von Hutchins
S - Glenn Earl
S - Jason Simmons
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007   #10
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Bruener is done here, unless they need a comfortable face or his locker room presence.
Old 11-02-2007   #11
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I think Bruener is done here, unless they need a comfortable face or his locker room presence.
I guess he's like our Brad Ausmus

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007   #12
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

If the Texans pick up a CB/Safety tandem through the draft/free agency, then likely one or two of these guys is gone:

CB - Roc Alexander
CB - Jason Horton (R)
CB - Von Hutchins
CB - Dexter Wynn
S - C.C. Brown (R)
S - Glenn Earl
S - Jason Simmons

Alexander and Simmons?
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007   #13
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Since we only have 3 wins thus far and I'm not picking us to win too many more games, all are expendable.

I'd like to see us keep:
WR - Andre Davis
LB - Danny Clark

Not sure yet. He's always injured.
WR - Jerome Mathis (R)
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007   #14
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Horror View Post
If the Texans pick up a CB/Safety tandem through the draft/free agency, then likely one or two of these guys is gone:

CB - Roc Alexander
CB - Jason Horton (R)
CB - Von Hutchins
CB - Dexter Wynn
S - C.C. Brown (R)
S - Glenn Earl
S - Jason Simmons

Alexander and Simmons?
I'd like to keep alot of these strong safeties on the roster and have a real big competition for SS next year. None of the safeties we have can play FS so we might as well get the best out of the safeties we have.

Horton seems like the weak link of those weak link CBs.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007   #15
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like the bolded guys to be here during training camp 2008:

RB - Ron Dayne
RB - Samkon Gado (R)
RB - Chris Taylor (E) Should be playing for this team right now.
WR - Andre Davis 21 rec. 390 yards 2 TDs. Earned himself a spot on this team.
WR - Jerome Mathis (R) Even if he plays 1/4 of the season is it worth a WR 6 spot to have him KR?
TE - Mark Bruener May be his last year with us as Runner said. Still worth keeping for us IMO.
G/T - Scott Jackson (R)
G - Fred Weary It may be about time to find Weary's replacement but keep him.
DE - Earl Cochran (R) Need DEs.
DE - N.D. Kalu Seems to get pressure when he plays and plays with a fire. Honest guy too. Keeper.
DT - Tim Bulman (R)
DT - Cedric Killings
DT - Anthony Maddox Good backup to have. We need another backup DT though.
LB - Charlie Anderson
LB - Danny Clark Should be a backup. We need more LBs and someone needs to challenge Clark.
LB -Shawntee Orr
CB - Roc Alexander Better than these other scrub CBs but not worth much.
CB - Jason Horton (R)
CB - Von Hutchins
CB - Dexter Wynn Safety KR guy. Shouldn't be on the team. We need more CBs.
S - C.C. Brown (R)
S - Glenn Earl Let these 3 guys battle with Boulware and Harrison for the SS spots next year.
S - Jason Simmons

The rest I would like to see replaced by others. It's time to rid ourselves of Charlie Anderson and Shantee Orr. Two guys drafted to be 3-4 linebackers and haven't been able to crack the lineup on our weak linebacking crew. It's also time to rid ourselves of Ron Dayne.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 11-02-2007 at 01:24 AM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007   #16
Pearl Trade
GO TEXANS

these are who i would keep

RB - Chris Taylor (E)
WR - Andre Davis
G - Fred Weary
DE - Earl Cochran (R)
DE - N.D. Kalu
DT - Anthony Maddox
LB - Charlie Anderson
LB - Danny Clark
LB -Shawntee Orr
CB - Von Hutchins
S - C.C. Brown (R)
S - Glenn Earl
Pearl Trade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

The bolded players can stay. The rest can go. It's time for an enema! Let Smith bring players in worth a crap via FA and draft.

RB - Ron Dayne
RB - Samkon Gado (R)
RB - Chris Taylor (E)
WR - Andre Davis
WR - Jerome Mathis (R)
TE - Mark Bruener
G/T - Scott Jackson (R)
G - Fred Weary
DE - Earl Cochran (R)
DE - N.D. Kalu
DT - Tim Bulman (R)
DT - Cedric Killings
DT - Anthony Maddox
LB - Charlie Anderson
LB - Danny Clark
LB -Shawntee Orr
CB - Roc Alexander
CB - Jason Horton (R)
CB - Von Hutchins
CB - Dexter Wynn
S - C.C. Brown (R)
S - Glenn Earl
S - Jason Simmons
Old 11-02-2007   #18
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
The bolded players can stay. The rest can go. It's time for an enema! Let Smith bring players in worth a crap via FA and draft.

RB - Ron Dayne
RB - Samkon Gado (R)
RB - Chris Taylor (E)
WR - Andre Davis
WR - Jerome Mathis (R)
TE - Mark Bruener
G/T - Scott Jackson (R)
G - Fred Weary
DE - Earl Cochran (R)
DE - N.D. Kalu
DT - Tim Bulman (R)
DT - Cedric Killings
DT - Anthony Maddox
LB - Charlie Anderson
LB - Danny Clark
LB -Shawntee Orr
CB - Roc Alexander
CB - Jason Horton (R)
CB - Von Hutchins
CB - Dexter Wynn
S - C.C. Brown (R)
S - Glenn Earl
S - Jason Simmons
Anthony Maddox?
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read