Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-30-2007   #21
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are things better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
The team, right now, is no better than last year. If not a little worse.
Really, where are they worse?

QB--decidedly better whether Schaub or Rosenfels starts
RB--push
WR--decidedly better as a group--producing more without AJ--with AJ back, not even debatable.
TE--push
OL--push

DL--slightly better--people just think it is worse because they had higher expectations
LB's--slightly better--Clark is a push to slight improvement over Orr, Greenwood is having a better year
S--CC is slightly better this year, Hutchins push
CB--would have said slightly worse but with Bennett getting increased playing time, push
Old 10-30-2007   #22
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm looking at from the perspective of the last six games, and we have pretty much stuck up the league lately. Ultimately, all that matters is the Ws and Ls, and weíll have to wait until the season is over with to see that. We won six last year, I was hoping for eight this year, but it looks more like six or seven.

I think the teams future is brighter than last yearís team, but until that translates into the win/loss column, itís all conjecture. We certainly are spending more time being more highly rated than we did last year, thatís for sure.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #23
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

no, i don't see how this team gets to 6-10 again
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #24
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
no, i don't see how this team gets to 6-10 again

But we'll be 4-5 after this weekend.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #25
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I'm looking at from the perspective of the last six games, and we have pretty much stuck up the league lately. Ultimately, all that matters is the Ws and Ls, and we’ll have to wait until the season is over with to see that. We won six last year, I was hoping for eight this year, but it looks more like six or seven.

I think the teams future is brighter than last year’s team, but until that translates into the win/loss column, it’s all conjecture. We certainly are spending more time being more highly rated than we did last year, that’s for sure.
I understand the bottom line of W's and L's but I have seen a team that didn't give up down 14-0 after 10 minutes of play and a team that wasn't out of the game down 25 points going into the 4th quarter. And frankly even a team and player inspired enough to tie NFL history to get a win against Miami.

Yup there have been low points as well and spots I wish things had been played differently but in my mind this team is clearly more competitive and better than last year. Some of the miraculous turnaround of the Saints last year was that they weren't as bad as they played the year before.
Old 10-30-2007   #26
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Mario had a tackle. One. It was awesome though.
Vince had six completions but that was the best 42 yds ive ever seen... see its easy to hate

i dont get you vinny- sometimes you make some of the best posts i read on a MB and other you just make dumb@ss comments just to stir the pot because mario isnt vince so you blame all our defensive woes on him
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #27
junior
Veteran

Rep Power: 19 junior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Really, where are they worse?

QB--decidedly better whether Schaub or Rosenfels starts
RB--push
WR--decidedly better as a group--producing more without AJ--with AJ back, not even debatable.
TE--push
OL--push

DL--slightly better--people just think it is worse because they had higher expectations
LB's--slightly better--Clark is a push to slight improvement over Orr, Greenwood is having a better year
S--CC is slightly better this year, Hutchins push
CB--would have said slightly worse but with Bennett getting increased playing time, push

qb-better, decidedly only in opinion results wise slightly
rb-worse in every way this year
wr-better
te-better in catches but daniels no td's
ol-push
dl-better in sack totals
lb-worse greenwood and ryans are below last years pace
s-push they have always sucked
cb-push they still dont make plays

thats my version.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #28
SuperDan
Pura Vida

The undying Texans fan in me says I see so many areas of improvement. I see a team that has a leader at QB, I see a team that refuses to give up regardless of the score or other uncontrollable circumstances. These are *definite* areas of improvement over prior years. We have depth at key positions and we have one of the best skill players in the league. This is the glass-half-full-love-my-Texans-at-all-costs fan coming out in me.

The realist in me says regardless of the successes we saw early in the season, we have regressed. Those positives haven't translated to W's. The offensive line has allowed our QB to be pummeled at a record pace over the last several games. We have little talent and zero depth in our secondary. We are one of the worst teams in the NFL at running the football. A real tragedy considering our offense is predicated upon moving the ball on the ground.

Yes, there are positives...but not success. I think I speak for many when I say, I've put in my time. I watched and re-watched every single minute of every losing season, ad-nauseum. I will continue to watch and root...I'll continue to buy jerseys, shirts, hoodies and hats. I've listened to all of the "aww shucks" excuses...I've listened to all of the "we see improvement" press conferences. We can break it down a million different ways. The bottom line is I want to watch winning football...now.
SuperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #29
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddy View Post
Ah, Texans Horror the old good news is next year card. Well played... I mean at least you pulled it frist. It's worked for the last 6rs. Why not use it now.
Actually, he got drilled as a pessimist this off-season for predicting a bad season at 6-10. His prediction was two years to be good, and he is sticking with it.

Your sarcasm is even funnier as a reflection of your mistake instead of his prediction though.
Old 10-30-2007   #30
nut
All Pro

Rep Power: 165 nut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respected

If the team does not improve tremendously by the end of the year, Kubiak should be fired. As far as his discussing Mario's excellence in the play where he might have knocked a guy into the qb and his unbelievable one tackle, the Texans will forever be attempting to claim they made the right draft choice last year. This just in, that ain't going away for 10 years, as horrible as that sounds. Any chance the coaches & FO can verbally elevate Mario's ability will be taken and McNair will appreciate it.
nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #31
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Let me answer the question of the thread with another question: "if you took Andre Johnson away from the Texans circa 2003-2006, how would they have looked?"

It's a fair criticism of the offense to say they rely too heavily on Johnson's talents, but that's the hand we've dealt ourselves. When the 2007 Texans had Johnson, they moved the ball on two respectable defenses and controlled the game. Since we've lost him (and Jacoby), we've been forced to rely on journeymen.

Andre Davis can get down the field, but he is not lethal the way Johnson is. So we're not stretching the defense and they are strangling the short/medium stuff. I think we all need to reserve judgment here until Johnson gets back. If he can't get back, then, yes, we are in a world of hurt.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #32
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
Let me answer the question of the thread with another question: "if you took Andre Johnson away from the Texans circa 2003-2006, how would they have looked?"

It's a fair criticism of the offense to say they rely too heavily on Johnson's talents, but that's the hand we've dealt ourselves. When the 2007 Texans had Johnson, they moved the ball on two respectable defenses and controlled the game. Since we've lost him (and Jacoby), we've been forced to rely on journeymen.

Andre Davis can get down the field, but he is not lethal the way Johnson is. So we're not stretching the defense and they are strangling the short/medium stuff. I think we all need to reserve judgment here until Johnson gets back. If he can't get back, then, yes, we are in a world of hurt.

Andre 2003-06 was the only WR getting looked at because Carr couldn't see the field. You can't compare Texans BC with Texans AD.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #33
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddy View Post
Runner my post referred to his... Look a post #2 in this thread. But thanks for your input.
I know; I saw his post. It is a continuation of his two year prediction. He wasn't one of these "it'll be next year" guys every season as you implied. He doesn't do that every year as some do. In fact, he seems a little more accurate than most at this point.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read