Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk" Rival fans & lighthearted smack talk. Keep it light and leave the mean spirited stuff at home please.

Old 10-26-2007   #1
titanbuoy
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 titanbuoy was voted MVPtitanbuoy was voted MVPtitanbuoy was voted MVP
Default Howdy pards!

So here it is my first post, and rather than being a smack talking dick from post one I thought I'd just say hi to everyone here at TT. I'm not going to sugarcoat this, I hate the Texans, I hate the fact that Houston and Bud somehow managed to rob me of my favourite football team. I really don't want to argue about that now, let's face it that argument has been done to death; I'm sure we can go round and round about that at some point.

I thought I'd focus on the fact that until a decade ago we we're cheering for the same team... getting our hearts broken by the same team. Now we're getting our hearts broken by two different franchises (one yard short in the Super Bowl for me... and just about every game in Texans history for you guys... okay yeah, that was a shot, I'll cut it out).

Remember Alonzo Highsmith? Damn I loved that guy... I recall a game against the dreaded Bengals in 88 (I think), with the Oilers up by ten midway through the fourth quarter Esiason led Cincinatti to a TD to cut the lead to three points. The momentum seemed all in the Bungals favour. On the ensuing drive the Oilers ran Highsmith on every play, eating up the clock and ultimately scoring a TD. Damn, there was nothing better than seeing that douche bag Sam Wyche and the criminally overhyped Norman Esiason stewing on the sideline as the Oilers ran it down thier throats.

As an Oilers fan since the mid-seventies (as a kid I loved Kenny Burrough and Robert Brazile), I lived a died with that frickin team... and I'm sure that's something many of us share in common. I'm not sure why that Bengals game stands out so much for me. Perhaps it was the fact that it was the initial stages of the successful Moon era, after the team had struggled through much of the eighties.

To this day I still hate the Steelers as much as any franchise in the league. Losing two AFC Championship to the steroid fueled Steelers is something that doesn't leave me (are any of those steroid gobbling offensive lineman still alive). I was 14 at the time that Mike Renfro MADE that catch in the back of the endzone... I cried like a *****. Okay everyone together now, one time with feeling "F the Steelers!!!!!!"

Anyways... I'll stick to talking crap from now on, but at least initially I thought I should come in and talk about the thing we share in common rather than coming in here and spewing smack right from post #1.

I’m quite familiar with Overalls from his trips to go Titans, and other than his inexplicable insistence to follow the Texans he seems like a cool guy. I've also recently become familiar with Silver Oak.

Here's to years of great rivalry games, but let us not completely forget our many shared memories of great wins and heartbreaking losses.

Luv ya blue forever baby!

Last edited by titanbuoy; 10-26-2007 at 11:23 AM.
titanbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #2
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Howdy pards!

Welcome!

Your franchise is a cursed franchise. The owner screwed over so many people in his lifetime, the powers that be decided to let him die of old age before granting his team a Super Bowl victory.

Get used to heartbreak, and once again, Welcome!
Old 10-26-2007   #3
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Where ya from buoy?

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #4
titanbuoy
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 titanbuoy was voted MVPtitanbuoy was voted MVPtitanbuoy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
Get used to heartbreak, and once again, Welcome!
Considering how your favourite team's last game turned out, were you able to type that while keeping a straight face? Regardless thanks for the welcome chum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Where ya from buoy?
London, Ontario, Canada (pretty much right between Toronto and Detroit).

Following the Oilers in the seventies and early eighties was a *****. Obviously it was before the internet, but it was even prior to the USA Today. I used to subscribe to old newsprint paper called "The Oiler report". It'd generally arrive at my doorstep a month after publication but I loved that rag (I'm sure I still have a few of 'em collecting dust in a box somewhere)
Old 10-26-2007   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Where ya from buoy?
The spelling of favourite, should have told you Brit or Canadien.
Old 10-26-2007   #6
ChildressTitanMan
Veteran

Rep Power: 316 ChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey there titanbuoy
ChildressTitanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #7
titanbuoy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildressTitanMan View Post
Hey there titanbuoy
Jeebus, clearly you guys will let just about anyone join here.

Sponsored links
Old 10-26-2007   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanbuoy View Post
Jeebus, you guys will let anyone join here.

the symptoms often go away but the virus stays dormant in the blood.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #9
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not going to sugarcoat this, I hate the Texans, I hate the fact that Houston and Bud somehow managed to rob me of my favourite football team.
I just don't follow this logic.

You hate the Texans because Adams moved the Oilers to Tennessee. And you root for the Titans.

That makes no sense to me at all.

The Texans didn't have anything to do with Adams' decision to move the Oilers.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

You hate the Texans because Adams moved the Oilers to Tennessee. And you root for the Titans.

Your first mistake was expecting logic from a Titans fan.
Old 10-26-2007   #11
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Your first mistake was expecting logic from a Titans fan.
I'll 2nd that.

I realize he isn't from the Houston area, but for the life of me I will never understand how an Oiler fan from the Houston area can look theirselves in the mirror and root for the Titans. It would be like living in Boston and rooting for Benadick Arnold after he was kicked off the continent.

Spelling error may be a reference to feelings about Dud Adams.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #12
titanbuoy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

Again I don't want this to turn into a thread debating who's to blame for the Oilers' departure. But as a fan from a far, rightly or wrongly I've always placed part of the blame on the fans in Houston for failing to appreciate the Oilers fully while they were there. When the Browns moved from Cleveland the fans and city went apeshit, when the Oilers left Houston I didn't notice a similar outcry coming from Texas. Through my eyes, Houston didn't fight for their franchise in the same manner as the people of Cleveland (they didn't even put up a fight to keep the name and history the way Browns' fans did). I'm fully aware this is just my opinion and not cut in stone facts. I realize you have a completely different perspective on this and again please let's not turn my first thread into a debate over this, let's just leave that fight for another time.

And yes the fact that the Texans are now a division rival (or at least attempting to be) only fuels my disdain for the team.

Last edited by titanbuoy; 10-26-2007 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-26-2007   #13
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

While I go agree that they should have fought to keep the team name and history - Good riddence to bad garbage. The old timers know they are Houston Oilers regardless of what the league and Bud says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #14
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

You should have lived in Houston during the Oiler days. You would have realized how the fans loved the team. That's all I can say.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #15
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

RIP Houston Oilers.... 1960-1996. They are dead to me, and the Tinnbreds are no susbtitution.. Thank God, I have my Texans now!!
Old 10-26-2007   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You should have lived in Houston during the Oiler days. You would have realized how the fans loved the team. That's all I can say.
Word.

Quote:
Again I don't want this to turn into a thread debating who's to blame for the Oilers' departure. But as a fan from a far, rightly or wrongly I've always placed part of the blame on the fans in Houston for failing to appreciate the Oilers fully while they were there. When the Browns moved from Cleveland the fans and city went apeshit, when the Oilers left Houston I didn't notice a similar outcry coming from Texas. Through my eyes, Houston didn't fight for their franchise in the same manner as the people of Cleveland (they didn't even put up a fight to keep the name and history the way Browns' fans did). I'm fully aware this is just my opinion and not cut in stone facts. I realize you have a completely different perspective on this and again please let's not turn my first thread into a debate over this, let's just leave that fight for another time.

And yes the fact that the Texans are now a division rival (or at least attempting to be) only fuels my disdain for the team.
Read up on your old team before you starting spouting nonsense.

"Oiler Blues: The Story of Pro Football's Most Frustrating Team" by John Pirkle is a good place to start. Education is the key to avoid being ignorant.

Oiler fans were NEVER given a chance to rally for the team. Some lame, half-hearted attempt AFTER Dud had already sealed the deal is what keeps getting mentioned. No amount of fan protests would have mattered at the end of the day.

You fail to comprehend that Dud had no desire to work with the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, wanted the land DONATED to him by the city, and wanted a 100% taxpayer financed stadium that he controlled ALL rights to. Dud could give a rat's ass about his team's history and the loyalty of the city towards his franchise. His only obligation has always been to his bank account, so instead of working with local leaders like other football owners do to build a stadium and continue the tradition, he slithered out of town to the best offer available. He couldn't even have the balls to keep the name, and didn't have the soul to give up the name that he covered up. What does that say about his character, or rather, lack of?

We were already paying for $60 million+ in renovations to the Astrodome, which were the result of Dud threatening to move the team to Jacksonville. We are STILL paying those bonds today. Most civilized folks call that extortion.

See, not actually being here to LIVE IT gives you the typical media brainwashing of assumptions and generalizations. It's sad, really, because you act like we share some kind of history together, but in reality, you only try to demean Houston football fans while promoting a slimeball owner.

Fine, you hate the Texans. Whatever. Big deal. Just another troll on a Texans board as far as most of us are concerned. I'm glad a 'fan' like you moved on with the sleaze. You wouldn't have the class to be one of our own.
Old 10-26-2007   #17
titanbuoy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Word.

Read up on your old team before you starting spouting nonsense.

"Oiler Blues: The Story of Pro Football's Most Frustrating Team" by John Pirkle is a good place to start. Education is the key to avoid being ignorant.

Oiler fans were NEVER given a chance to rally for the team. Some lame, half-hearted attempt AFTER Dud had already sealed the deal is what keeps getting mentioned. No amount of fan protests would have mattered at the end of the day.

You fail to comprehend that Dud had no desire to work with the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, wanted the land DONATED to him by the city, and wanted a 100% taxpayer financed stadium that he controlled ALL rights to. Dud could give a rat's ass about his team's history and the loyalty of the city towards his franchise. His only obligation has always been to his bank account, so instead of working with local leaders like other football owners do to build a stadium and continue the tradition, he slithered out of town to the best offer available. He couldn't even have the balls to keep the name, and didn't have the soul to give up the name that he covered up. What does that say about his character, or rather, lack of?

We were already paying for $60 million+ in renovations to the Astrodome, which were the result of Dud threatening to move the team to Jacksonville. We are STILL paying those bonds today. Most civilized folks call that extortion.

See, not actually being here to LIVE IT gives you the typical media brainwashing of assumptions and generalizations. It's sad, really, because you act like we share some kind of history together, but in reality, you only try to demean Houston football fans while promoting a slimeball owner.

Fine, you hate the Texans. Whatever. Big deal. Just another troll on a Texans board as far as most of us are concerned. I'm glad a 'fan' like you moved on with the sleaze. You wouldn't have the class to be one of our own.
Wow, with the amount of vitriol and name calling spewed in that post it's funny that you accuse me of having no class. That's rich.

Don't assume the things I haven't done there Bubba.

I'm an avid reader and have read multiple books on the Oilers and the origins of the AFL. I've certainly read (and own) Fowler's POS book. I've also read Elvin Bethea's book Smash Mouth where he describes Fowler as a no talent hack who didn't have anything positive to say about the franchise or it's players during his entire career (in fact Bethea spat in Fowler's face during the last year of his career). You lapped up the BS in Fowler's book just like the good little dog you are.

When it comes to the Oilers’ move there is plenty of guilt to be passed around. If you want to delude yourself into thinking it was all mean old Bud Adams’ fault that's fine, but that's all it is, a simplified black and white delusion. If that helps you cope with the fact that your city politicos and you the fans of Houston were also responsible for letting the team you loved so much slip away that's cool, but don't get self righteous with me and try to pass your delusion off as fact.

The Oilers, both the team and its history are alive and well and residing in Nashville Tennessee. Those are the facts, you can lie to yourself about it all you want, but that doesn't change the plain and undeniable truth. Just check the Titans record books and you'll see storied names like Bethea, Campbell, Munchak, Moon, Blanda and Hennigan. Check the Texans record book and you'll find "greats" like Carr, Davis, and Robinson... The truth may hurt broseph, but it is what it is.

I hope this whole bitterness thing works out for you buddy, because you wear it on your sleeve so damn well.

Last edited by titanbuoy; 10-26-2007 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-26-2007   #18
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 110699 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess the guy can't be from "Cincinatti."
Showtime100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #19
ChildressTitanMan
Veteran

Rep Power: 316 ChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respected

titanbuoy you bad troll.

Don't you know not to mention the Oilers history.We're only allowed to bring it up when the Texans fans have given us permission.
ChildressTitanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #20
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
you'll see storied names like Bethea, Campbell, Munchak, Moon, Blanda and Hennigan.
I don't think Earl wants or has anything to do with the Tennessee franchise.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read