Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-21-2007   #1
fikster
All Pro

Rep Power: 102 fikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Richard Smith's Defense

Is anyone else tired of Richard Smith's no blitzing, Petey Faggins loving D? We have three top draft picks on the D line, reigning Rookie of the year at MLB and a top notch corner on the field, why can't we sack anyone? I do think we have talent on the field, not in the secondary, but the front seven are pretty good players. We don't do stunts, corner blitzes, zero blitzes or anything. Sure DRob got beat on a play today, but that was pretty good coverage and a great throw.

36 minutes is a long time on the field, but most of that could have been cut if we put some pressure on the other team. Start Bennett at CB from now on and keep Faggins off the field, in the off season get us a real D coordinator in here and let's play some freaking D!
fikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007   #2
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Richard Smith's Defense

Frank Bush will eventually take over.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007   #3
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Frank Bush will eventually take over.
Like tomorrow .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #4
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Like tomorrow .
I wish somehow you were in the know and this was for real. Yeah our defense did well in the red (tds that is) but we need a change.
Old 10-22-2007   #5
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Our defense looked much better early when we let the corners play man and sent some help. Rushing four is getting old.
Old 10-22-2007   #6
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
Our defense looked much better early when we let the corners play man and sent some help. Rushing four is getting old.
We don't have the talent to play man consistently. That is a main problem. However, when we rush people, good things happen more than not.
Old 10-23-2007   #7
SuperTexan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
We don't have the talent to play man consistently. That is a main problem. However, when we rush people, good things happen more than not.

Wow. How insightful. "When we rush people, good things happen more than not."
SuperTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-23-2007   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
i'm just amazed that after sending demeco on a blitz, getting the sack, the fumble, the recovery, and the touchdown that hardly anyone was sent in after that...

like...dude...it worked...do it again...and again...and againandagain...
Got to be careful not to wear it out.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #9
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
um...is that sarcasm?

i just don't see the point in blitzing demeco once a game. once a quarter maybe at the most but...seems silly to me after seeing the blitz produce so much that you would abandon it
Maybe you just weren't watching.

We blitzed Demeco more than one time. I didn't keep count, but I'm pretty sure we blitzed him more than 1/qtr, too.

It worked once. But it didn't work every time we tried it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #10
real

Our blitz packages are a joke.

A real live, fall down on the ground, laugh so hard my side hurts...joke...

We have two LB's that can interchange in Demeco and Clark, yet we never use that to our advantage...

How about blitzing Demeco from some place other than in the middle ? That'd be smart...

He's obviously our best blitzer, yet we have no schemes (as far as I can tell) to take advantage of that..

And whichever coach or coaches said that they are blitzing more than fans realize should be ashamed of himself...

If I am watching a football game and I can't tell when you are blitzing, that means your blitzes are trash...

Some creativity on Defense would be nice....

Last edited by real; 10-23-2007 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-23-2007   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
um...is that sarcasm?

i just don't see the point in blitzing demeco once a game. once a quarter maybe at the most but...seems silly to me after seeing the blitz produce so much that you would abandon it
yes it was. I think so much is wrong with our team that the coaches don't want do anything with what is working. Demeco is great so don't touch him is the theory. I also would like to see more risk taken. Shoot Petey on a blitz, he can't cover anyway.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #12
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 13945 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

There were a couple times where he blitzed two linebackers to the weak side... it didn't work.
Old 10-23-2007   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 396984 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTexan View Post
Wow. How insightful. "When we rush people, good things happen more than not."
And a great nothing added to the thread with your post. How about talking about the subject at hand instead of attacking a fellow forum member. I haven't seen you say anything "insightful".
Old 10-23-2007   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i was there, i was definitely watching. i only saw him blitz twice. and i only saw demeco blitzing, which is probably incorrect...but then again, i'm not the type who can look at the whole field at every moment...
We had a lot more blitzes than that. Later tonight, I'll go back through the game and actually count.

What I find interesting is that the first 3 weeks we were playing OK and we weren't blitzing at all.

Then starting in the Atlanta game, we start blitzing all over the place and our defense starts taking a step back. That exactly the opposite of what happened last year.

Our blitzes are really crappy.
Old 10-23-2007   #15
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

If you are going to blitz from the weak side, you'd better have someone like Dr. Doom coming.
Old 10-23-2007   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Richard Smith's Defense? There is a joke in the thread title but I'll probably do the Nancy Regan and just say "No".

It seems that the defense is based on the assumption that our D-line is a dominant one. Frankly, our D-line has 'potential', but potential means you haven't done it yet.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #17
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

I think it's a combination of poor blitz schemes and poor blitzers. It's not good when your best cover corner is your second best blitzer. We need a stud OLB and/or FS in the worst way.

After watching the game again, most of the time Collins was taking short drops with quick routes, but the front four were still able to get pretty good pressure on him. DeMeco had the one big play, but otherwise, the blitz was picked up pretty easily. In stark contrast to our offense Sunday - missed assignments, missed blocks, missed adjustments by the coaching staff, and, yes, missed reads by the QB.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

By my count, I saw 12 blitzes on pass plays. There were a few others where we were coming on running plays but I didn't really count those. 6 of our 12 blitzes were multiple players. That's 12 out of 45 pass plays. (NFL shows 42, but I was including plays with penalties.) That's 26.7% of the time.

We had 3 plays where we dropped a linemen into coverage but instead of being a zone blitz, it was actually treating the down lineman as a LB and dropping him into coverage. Every play we did that, something good happened: Maddux dropped into coverage on the second fumble, Collins threw the ball away on one play, and Maddux dropped into coverage and stopped a screen for short yardage. We lined up in a 3-4 one time.

I only noted 4 plays where the linemen were stunting, I thought they had been doing it more than that. ND Kalu is really good at getting pressure when we do that.

In the 3rd quarter, we only blitzed one time. In the 4th quarter, we blitzed every pass play (4) until that last 50 second drive. And then we only blitzed (Morlon) on that last long damned pass to Williams to set up the field goal.

We had a couple of times where Collins just got the ball out before a blitzer got to him. I counted 4 times where Demeco was blitzing and another couple of times where he was coming up but not actually blitzing, just reading/shadowing the RB. Danny Clark got close once and Charlie Adams almost got him, too.

By my count:

Morlon - 6
Demeco - 4
Danny - 3
Petey - 2
CC - 2
Von - 1
Charlie Anderson - 1

And of all of them, Charlie and Demeco looked the best blitzing.

After looking back through this... I really feel better about our defense. Our offense was really screwing them over. 3/4's of the way through the 3rd quarter, we only had 30 yards of offense and 1 or 2 first downs. It's unbelievable that we were able to still come back from those 6 turnovers. This is exactly what we used to complain about with our offense a couple of years ago.

Let's hope our offense can get back on track.

Last edited by The Pencil Neck; 10-24-2007 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Adding a Y.
Old 10-24-2007   #19
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the breakdown.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read