Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-22-2007   #41
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What did we learn today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Some concerns I have about your statement and not intending to attack you. I think you are being overly optimistic as are some others. Our $30 million cap space is enough to land some substantial players in free agency. Unfortunately, few will be available at our need spots. There are two probable CBs and one, Samuel, will want $13 million and up. That does not scare me off but if Bennett continues to get better, we may not need a CB. There are no LT, FS or RB that will fix our weaknesses in FA.
1. Some might disagree with you in terms of Michael Turner not being able to help this team. He is still young and has a lot of wear left on the proverbial tires.

2. Yes, Samuels will want lots of $ but is it a bad thing to have too many good players? I don't think so. If we can sign him it will be a good thing to have to find a place for him. If anything, perhaps we slide Bennett over to nickle corner and cut Faggins or perhaps slide him to safety? Not sure, still thinking about that one.

3. O-Line has some intriguing names like Alan Faneca. He will command big money and is a guard not tackle. Here is the thing we need to remember, we must be judicious with our money and not spend crazy. If we are not careful in a few years we will be in salary cap hell. So we must spend wisley and prudently.

In terms of LT, I would go into the draft and grab Ryan Clady-OT from Boise State. He is a prototypical tackle that would be great for our team and someone I would have confidence putting in game 1. If Spencer can get back into football shape, great slide him over to RG, and slide Weary over to Center.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #42
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
1. Some might disagree with you in terms of Michael Turner not being able to help this team. He is still young and has a lot of wear left on the proverbial tires.

2. Yes, Samuels will want lots of $ but is it a bad thing to have too many good players? I don't think so. If we can sign him it will be a good thing to have to find a place for him. If anything, perhaps we slide Bennett over to nickle corner and cut Faggins or perhaps slide him to safety? Not sure, still thinking about that one.

3. O-Line has some intriguing names like Alan Faneca. He will command big money and is a guard not tackle. Here is the thing we need to remember, we must be judicious with our money and not spend crazy. If we are not careful in a few years we will be in salary cap hell. So we must spend wisley and prudently.

In terms of LT, I would go into the draft and grab Ryan Clady-OT from Boise State. He is a prototypical tackle that would be great for our team and someone I would have confidence putting in game 1. If Spencer can get back into football shape, great slide him over to RG, and slide Weary over to Center.

I am aware of your p.o.v. and understand it.

#1. Turner has little history to back up the huge demand in salary he is predicted to require. I do not minded spending but this is another gamble and we have not done very well in free agency RB.

#2. I agree but it will be hard to convince Smith to spend mega bucks if Bennett is doing well. Last week I had debates over moving Bennet to FS and signing Samuel for CB. Kill two birds with one shotgun. Yes, Bennett may not convert but his speed and size and apparant cover skills would look good as FS.

#3 We don't need any guards at his asking price for certain.

Clady is interesting but nothing has indicated a team desire to use first round for LT or RB. Hopefully that will change.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #43
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105596 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Samuel is another cover 2 corner that will suck in man (see Jason David) and will not be worth the money
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #44
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 139897 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskillz View Post
What I learned is that unless you are willing to turn into a pass-happy offense, you can't win with no RB. I highly doubt Kubiak is ready to make changes to the offense, so I better get used to a few more losses.
Change RB to running game and I agree 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
we would have won(maybe) had we not turned the ball over 6 times.
...and if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.

When your offense has less than 40 yards TOTAL entering the 4th quarter, it usually means that you have some severe problems with your offense, no matter WHO you're playing. Sage got lucky / hot in the 4th against a prevent defense. He also got burned MORE than once on some very risky throws.

As on old coach once said: "Three things can happen when you pass the ball, and two of them are bad."

We need a running game soon, or we're going to get our butt kicked all over the NFL by teams like Atlanta.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read