Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-20-2007   #21
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Anyone worried about our defensive coaching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
Anyone not worried about our defensive coaching ?
Kinda. I'm defiantly on the fence when it comes to Smith. Currently the D is playing like crap that cannot be denied, but neither can the fact that Smith turned this defense around the last 10 weeks of the 06 season. So I'm not usre if he is the problem or not.

But I get the feeling that I am the only one who fells this way.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007   #22
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

I was thinking about why we always seem to get killed by screen passes and dump offs especially it seems on third downs. MJD had 59 yds on 4 catches against us, and Ronnie Brown had 40 on 5 catches. Does it have anything to do with playing so much man coverage? Our secondary is all watching their respective receiver running down field leaving the back in single coverage with one man to beat, and by the time our corners/safeties realize the pass was dumped off they're 15 yards down field and the back is moving upfield with blockers.

So I guess my question is, is man coverage vulnerable to screens/dumpoffs and if so do you think teams are trying to exploit that against us since we run so much man or is it just players like MJD and Brown are just being themselves when they get the ball. That's just been frustrating me the past couple weeks when they need to go 10 or 15 yards and we're not forcing them to throw lower percentage passes down field.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007   #23
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
I was thinking about why we always seem to get killed by screen passes and dump offs especially it seems on third downs. MJD had 59 yds on 4 catches against us, and Ronnie Brown had 40 on 5 catches. Does it have anything to do with playing so much man coverage? Our secondary is all watching their respective receiver running down field leaving the back in single coverage with one man to beat, and by the time our corners/safeties realize the pass was dumped off they're 15 yards down field and the back is moving upfield with blockers.

So I guess my question is, is man coverage vulnerable to screens/dumpoffs and if so do you think teams are trying to exploit that against us since we run so much man or is it just players like MJD and Brown are just being themselves when they get the ball. That's just been frustrating me the past couple weeks when they need to go 10 or 15 yards and we're not forcing them to throw lower percentage passes down field.
I think it is part scheme and part a lack of quality in our outside linebackers.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007   #24
real

It has to do with having outside LB's with no range....

If the play isn't directly in front of our OLB's the chances that they make a good play on the ball carrier is slim...

Demeco is the only LB that makes plays all over the field...

Last edited by real; 10-20-2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-20-2007   #25
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
So if Richard Smith sucks so much how did the Texans D make the huge turnaround that they did last season?
Because he sucked so bad the first 6 games of the season that he had to actually start taking (drum roll, please.....) a few RISKS every now and then.

We're in year 2 of Richard Smith, and it looks like last year: Plain vanilla defensive playcalling, with little or no risk, and getting torched all game long.

Only difference this year is this: We have a QB who is capable of bailing out the defense (See "Carolina Panthers game" for more information).

First game of the season is the only game in which all facets of the team seemed to be on the same page and rolling with confidence.

It's been a steady decline since then, even on the offensive side of the ball.
Old 10-20-2007   #26
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I chalk it up to a singular failure of NOT shadowing the running back. All you have to do is dedicate a LB to the RB...his only job is to track and shadow the RB all game long.

Getting beat on so many screen passes and little RB check-downs is embarrassing if you ask me. This is the NFL, not 2-A High School football.

Then again, I have seen some High School football teams actually score after having the ball 1st and goal at the 2.........so what do I know.

This team is confoosing.
Old 10-20-2007   #27
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I chalk it up to a singular failure of NOT shadowing the running back. All you have to do is dedicate a LB to the RB...his only job is to track and shadow the RB all game long.

Getting beat on so many screen passes and little RB check-downs is embarrassing if you ask me. This is the NFL, not 2-A High School football.

Then again, I have seen some High School football teams actually score after having the ball 1st and goal at the 2.........so what do I know.

This team is confoosing.
lol, Kris Brown starts warming up for a field goal try anytime we get tackled inside the five. Our power run blocking is pretty pathetic.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007   #28
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413120 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
lol, Kris Brown starts warming up for a field goal try anytime we get tackled inside the five. Our power run blocking is pretty pathetic.
LOL--Kris Brown starts limbering up anytime we cross the 50 and has done so for 5 seasons. Nothing there to comment on other than him being a professional.
Old 10-21-2007   #29
quicksilver
Overweight

From what I've seen and read last season and this season, it is Kubiak holding back Richard Smith's defense. Kubiak says we want to get our pressure from the front four when the opposing offense passes. Kubiak says we're using Robinson exactly the way we want to use him.

It was when Kubiak realized his plan for our defense wasn't working 3-6 games into last season that he loosened the reins on Richard Smith and we began applying pressure with varying blitzes. What surprises me is that after the coaching staff did their first quarterly self-assessment for this season, Kubiak didn't come to the same conclusions he did last year.
Old 10-21-2007   #30
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 13945 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
From what I've seen and read last season and this season, it is Kubiak holding back Richard Smith's defense. Kubiak says we want to get our pressure from the front four when the opposing offense passes. Kubiak says we're using Robinson exactly the way we want to use him.

It was when Kubiak realized his plan for our defense wasn't working 3-6 games into last season that he loosened the reins on Richard Smith and we began applying pressure with varying blitzes. What surprises me is that after the coaching staff did their first quarterly self-assessment for this season, Kubiak didn't come to the same conclusions he did last year.
Yea, that is pretty interesting. Kubiak is on to something when he focuses on allowing the front four to do the pass rushing.... but the guys just aren't there yet. A team that can generate a good pass rush from their front four will be dominate. That's what Kubiak is looking for.

Unfortunately, our guys just haven't lived up to their potential to this point. I'm not sure when the "make or break" time comes for these guys... but I doubt it is three seasons from now. They need to get to work.
Old 10-21-2007   #31
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107220 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well if you ask me its a combination. Rick Smith is no genius but he's not working with top level talent either. Our OLBs are weak, and our secondary is way below average... other than Dante. I'm not sure what more you can ask of a DC when the only thing he has to work with is a DL, 1lb and 1db.

We knew coming into the season that our DBs were awful. The fact that CC looks better at SS shouldn't fool us into thinking our DB's are even close to average. If there are two things you can't hide in this league it is slow CBs and mistake prone FSs. Throw in the fact that we are weak at OLB and I'm not sure what you expect out of this defense. They stop the run better than average.. save the Jags game. And that's the foundation for a good defense. I mean if Smith goes.. I won't be heartbroken... but if he stays AND we add some talent I'm ok with that.

Basically I'm not ok with the current situation. I think that adding talent will do more than adding a DC right now. If you have to change one or the other I say get talent first.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007   #32
GrandeDavid
Brazil

I agree with you. I'm viewing today as a critical juncture in the legitimacy of this defense as, at the very least, a rising defense, especially the pass rush. I'm looking for big results from Mario Williams today and if I don't see them, I'll really start to questions the schematics, coaching and not just the players' hearts and talent.
GrandeDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007   #33
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

We've tuned the entire roster over since he came here....it's been pretty remarkable really. I think we only have 15 players from when he got here still left on the squad. It's going to take us two more drafts to really have a top roster from starters to key reserves, but next year we should be on the cusp of being a team to deal with year in-year out.

I'm a little worried about our ability to stop the run today...if we can't stop the run we are going to lose....got my fingers crossed. Some good news though...the Titans have not run the ball well the last two weeks and Brown is out.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007   #34
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd say the buck stops at Kubiak. We don't know whether Richard Smith is over his head or being held back, but either way the fault lies with Kubiak. If Smith is over his head then he shouldn't have been hired in the first place. Despite Kubiak not being able to get his first choice before settling on Smith there were still many good Defensive Coordinators available not only when Smith was hired but before this season started as well. If Smith is being held back by Kubiak, then I think the problem is even worse because who's to say that Kubiak won't do the same thing to the next DC, so I hope that Smith is just over his head.
Old 10-21-2007   #35
dickieb
Veteran

Rep Power: 148 dickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respected

WTF - can I get a blitz at the end of the game. It worked earlier in the game with Demeco's TD. Absolute bullsh*t playcalling. Makes me want to puke. You have to make the QB make a quick rushed decision - not give him all day. It's not like our front four had been putting a lot of pressure on Collins. It just makes me sick. He will find the one on one coverage and burn you anyways - why not man up and send everyone to the QB. Our chances would be better if we had blitzed maybe the QB gets sacked, makes a poor throw, throws a pick, or worst case he burns you but that happened anyway. I would rather bring the heat and make them burn us than give them all day to throw I fu^&ing absolutley hate this vanilla playcalling it is bull$hit and we deserved to lose this game anyway, but it really stings to give it up like this!
Old 10-21-2007   #36
joedinkle
Veteran

Rep Power: 60 joedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respected

We did blitz...they picked it up.
joedinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007   #37
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

and collins got rid of it in 3 seconds- if he had held onto it for a tiny bit longer, mario would've nearly bullrushed the lt into him
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007   #38
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedinkle View Post
We did blitz...they picked it up.
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d803788ac

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007   #39
dickieb
Veteran

Rep Power: 148 dickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, my bad. I did see the replay. I wished they would have sent them straight through the gaps instead of pulling. During the live game it looked as if Collins had the ball forever, but he got rid of the ball quick. We just got burned.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read