Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-19-2007   #41
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 177962 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario Melt Down?

Justice and McClain are worthless as journalists. They seem to be more interested in being "personalities" or making names for themselves by antagonizing athletes or stalking Anna Megan.

I'd love to see some new blood on the chron.com sports pages; these guys have lost so much credibility of late.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007   #42
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
Just because someone speaks slowly or not as crisp as a highly trained and experienced speaker, does not mean they are less intelligent in my opinion. AJ isn't the best speaker in my opinion, but I am not going to base an opinion on his intelligence due to that.
Meh, I have a professor who has a pretty serious stuttering problem but at the end of the day what he says makes perfect sense. Mario has no speech impediments but during his interview he responded to questions with answers that made you wonder as to whether he understood the question in the first place... consistently. I agree though, I can't say I would keep from looking like a complete dumbass if you put me on a TV camera. On the other hand, a couple years of interviews taped and written, and watching the lambo incident in live motion..... I don't value Mario's smarts or maturity very much at this point based on what I've seen.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007   #43
jlam
Veteran

Rep Power: 139 jlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respected

Reggie Bush sucks!

/outoftheway
jlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007   #44
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

TC should just forward her post for someone else to post:

somebody could re-post them under the subtle (and cunning) 'name' of chexan tick
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007   #45
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
If no one likes Dick, who the heck is reading his columns to begin with?? I don't, unless they are relevant to one of the threads...
* IGNORE once and for all *
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007   #46
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
My comment was intentionally not published on Justice's blog due to him taking issue of things I wrote about his work last year.
TC, how can you slam King Richard the Chickenheart's work in '06, then expect to be allowed to criticize him in '07? There's a 24 month moratorium on critiques of inJustice's blog. I thought you of all people would know that.

Last night, I was going through a box of old clothes and came across some of my Rockets championship gear. The Championship T-shirt with the newspaper front page made me smile. "The Houston Post" was at the top of the shirt. I miss The Post. I basically taught myself how to read by scouring its sports section. I don't know if this town needs 2 newspapers. But, I do know that we need 2 sportspages.
Old 10-19-2007   #47
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Stuff like this would make lose all respect for Dick Justice...................if I had any to start with.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007   #48
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonhurricane View Post
You should forward his comments to the Chron editors and let them know the vindictive and disrespectful behavior of one of the "columnists." That is total b.s. and he should be called out for such petty actions.
It is his blog. He can handle it the way he wants.

Personally, I feel sorry for someone who I guess feels so insecure in himself that he can't he can't handle people criticizing his work or disagreeing with his point of view and the manner that he chooses to report things.

Obviously, what I wrote hurt his feelings and made him mad. Everyone is entitled to their own feelings.

I do appreciate him taking the time to answer my email and letting me know that my comments are not welcomed at his blog so that I don't waste his or my time.
Old 10-19-2007   #49
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It is his blog. He can handle it the way he wants.

Personally, I feel sorry for someone who I guess feels so insecure in himself that he can't he can't handle people criticizing his work or disagreeing with his point of view and the manner that he chooses to report things.

Obviously, what I wrote hurt his feelings and made him mad. Everyone is entitled to their own feelings.

I do appreciate him taking the time to answer my email and letting me know that my comments are not welcomed at his blog so that I don't waste his or my time.
I wonder if someone will call into his show between 10 and 12 next week on 1560 and ask him about it. Just to see him drop the caller.

This is why someone like the Oklahoma State coach felt it neccessary to confront the reporter infront of others. If you are going to write someone be a man and deal with criticism as it comes. Justice is not a journalist in my opinion, he likes to critique and criticize without wanting to deal with anyone disagreeing with him. He does not deal in facts where a journalist and a reporter do.
Old 10-20-2007   #50
real

Mario didn't say he was going to break the sack record.

But he DID sound childish when he gave that answer.

JMO.
Old 10-20-2007   #51
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
I wonder if someone will call into his show between 10 and 12 next week on 1560 and ask him about it. Just to see him drop the caller.
That's a good idea. I second it. And I think she's the logical one to make the call, as it appears RJs alleged omission hurt her feelings as badly as she says his were by her comments.
Maybe we'll get a heads-up so we can listen in to the 1560-confrontation ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007   #52
fritz145
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 fritz145 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotfritz145 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

It's pretty hard to take anything Justice says too seriously.

I mean, there's a reason Lance Berkman's nickname for RJ is "The Writer of Wrongs."
fritz145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007   #53
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mario Williams is a young guy from a small town in North Carolina.

It is not easy being on TV if you are someone not trained to do that sort of thing
. I think a lot of game shows bank on the fact that regular people lose IQ points when a camera gets a foot from their face.

I have to say I'm more impressed when someone is personable and good on TV than I am critical when they struggle. Cuz it ain't easy.
Truer words have never been spoken. This reminds me of a personal experience a couple of years back. I had just competed in a business plan / public speaking competition, and a local newspaper reporter caught me off-guard for an on-the-spot interview. I went into vaporlock, yammering on about how it's just great to be here...networking opp...fine program, yada-yada.

Define irony. A public speaker can speak to hundreds with some success, but show that same guy a single person with a pen and hilarity ensues... Now imagine that person with a pen has a friend holding a big honkin' camera 3 feet from your face.

So, yeah, I can see how a 23 year old kid from NC can struggle a bit with TV interviews. OTOH, were I in that position, rather than wasting cash on custom jewelry or a fancy Italian speedster, I might be inclined to purchase the services of a public speaking coach. That's just me.

TC -- don't sweat The InJustice. The hobby/work that you do spreading the word about the Texans is much appreciated. I'm sure you know this, but I cannot imagine that it hurts to hear it. Prima donnas. Whayagonnado?
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007   #54
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyb View Post
So, yeah, I can see how a 23 year old kid from NC can struggle a bit with TV interviews. OTOH, were I in that position, rather than wasting cash on custom jewelry or a fancy Italian speedster, I might be inclined to purchase the services of a public speaking coach. That's just me.
I think that's just you.

I think that would be about the last thing I'd be thinking about. It would take a string of really bad interviews for me to think about that.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007   #55
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
That's a good idea. I second it. And I think she's the logical one to make the call, as it appears RJs alleged omission hurt her feelings as badly as she says his were by her comments.
Nah. I don't have a problem with him deciding what not to publish on his blog. It's his blog. My feelings are not hurt. I am glad he actually responded to my email inquiry.
Old 10-20-2007   #56
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz145 View Post
It's pretty hard to take anything Justice says too seriously.

I mean, there's a reason Lance Berkman's nickname for RJ is "The Writer of Wrongs."

LOL. I hadn't heard that one.
Old 10-20-2007   #57
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I have Monday off so I will be calling, but I bet it does not make it to air because he likes to hear himself talk for two hours and only takes one or two calls per show.

At least that is what I noticed the few times I have heard him.

As far as feelings hurt, I am probably more upset about his discracing of the journalist profession than TC is on what he says or does not say. Besides if she really want to have a war with Dick all she would have to do is write something on Fanhouse about the lack of integrity of Houston Sports journalist.
Old 10-20-2007   #58
SuperDan
Pura Vida

At the risk of being a part of this thread becoming more of a Chronicle issue than a Mario issue, I add my .02 ...

First of all, many thanks to TC for being one of, if not *the* most informative sources on the Texans in town. I appreciate the work you do on Fan House because you give the team an identity that most aren't familiar with outside of Houston. I enjoyed your blog on Chron.com particularly because you challenged the baseless "reporting" that the paid staff churned out....which leads me to my second point...

With the advent of blogging on the Chronicle's website, it seems the only thing the staff is concerned with is keeping readers talking. Yes, I understand the point of blogging is opening up dialogue, but honestly...can anyone tell me the last time John McClain wrote an article with any substance? Can anyone tell me the last time that any of the staff wrote an article that left you saying to yourself, "wow, that was really informative?" Yet, people keep buying, people keep reading and people keep posting. Precisely the reason that folks like Justice are floppers. They have a finger on the collective pulse of local sports fans and they ride the wave of emotion to attract more readers.

All that being said, while it all flies in the face of journalistic integrity (whatever that is) and mocks the resources that typical fans only dream of having, they're doing exactly what the Chronicle asks of them. I am by NO means taking up for any of them. God only knows how many more stories I can endure of McClain's love affair with Vince Papale, embarrassing songs and videos involving our starting QB posted for the world to see, or Tombstones on the front page only to be taking up for the front office a week later. If however, Justice, McClain or any of the staff want to be floppers or draw big paychecks for not providing anything of substance, they should expect some backlash from the educated fan base and develop a bit more of a thick skin.
SuperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007   #59
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
I have Monday off so I will be calling, but I bet it does not make it to air because he likes to hear himself talk for two hours and only takes one or two calls per show.

At least that is what I noticed the few times I have heard him.

As far as feelings hurt, I am probably more upset about his discracing of the journalist profession than TC is on what he says or does not say. Besides if she really want to have a war with Dick all she would have to do is write something on Fanhouse about the lack of integrity of Houston Sports journalist.
I dunno, but maybe you're just a ladies man there Specnatz, wanting to help out a damsel in distress ?
I happen to think Justice is doing a pretty good job on his new radio show.
He's such a big Cowboys fan and is very outspoken about it, and is from
N. Texas so that may put a lot of people off. But he has a lot of contacts
and when he brings them on his show he asks them a lot of questions and
lets them respond.
And yea Justice is windy, but there's an upside because he's really a pretty entertaining story-teller.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007   #60
Twitch-Houston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290 Twitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respected

my 2 cents.......Richard Justice has no business talking football. He fancies himself a baseball expert and I even question that, but as far as football goes.....I picture that commercial of the guy talking sports out of his region where the sun don't shine when I hear him speak.

I guess I have just been added to his black list as well Texans_Chick.

All for one....one for all.....
Twitch-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read