Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-17-2007   #21
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Studdard Thread Rewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Perhaps one of the reason Kubiak doesn't seem to be looking for Pitts at LT, where he played in 02 and 03 (I think he started all or most of the games there).

02: 15.5 sacks allowed, 9 penalties (incl. 5 holds)
03: 5.75 sacks allowed, 17 penalties (incl. 7 holds)
different QB & Kubiak was not the coach. During that "dark period in Texans history" Pitts showed continued improvement @ LT & has stated his desire to play there again.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007   #22
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
different QB & Kubiak was not the coach.
How ironic. A lot of very vocal posters this off-season said these were the two reasons (mainly the first) that the o-line would be good this year. Somehow there are still all these threads blaming the o-line for poor performance.

Was it Carr or the o-line?

I'm still sticking with the answer I had back then and took flack over - it was BOTH.
Old 10-17-2007   #23
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I'm still sticking with the answer I had back then and took flack over - it was BOTH.
Yup, neither one did the other any favors. Together they were less than the sum of the parts.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007   #24
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
If you go back and read my posts, I said that our line was a little below average but looked horrible in pass protection because of Carr. And I said that getting rid of Carr and getting a decent QB back there would immediately improve our pass protection. I also said that we really wouldn't know how much was Carr and how much was the line until we were able to see the line without Carr for awhile. (The coaches probably already knew which factor was at issue in each of the sacks.)

But it's even more than that. Sometimes sacks can be blamed on a running back missing an assignment or a receiver not being in the right place. Only the coaches know when those things happen and can really use it to figure out what to fix.

I think we were OK at run blocking with McKinney out there. But I think that we were also better at run blocking with AJ out there. One of the problems with Andre Davis is that he's not a great blocker; AJ is bigger and more physical. In the press conference, Kubes said that on one play, AG got 9 yards when he should have gotten 29 and the reason he didn't get more was because a WR missed a block. I'm betting that was AD.

But playing against a strong line like the Jags really showed our line problems. IIRC, on that QB draw, Pitts got schooled. BUT... Kubes still went out of his way to mention Samkon missing an assignment (EDIT: although not necessarily on that play).
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.

Last edited by The Pencil Neck; 10-18-2007 at 01:22 AM. Reason: clarification
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read