Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-15-2007   #1
shawn76ers
Texan Genius

Default Richard smith

i clearly blame Richard smith for the poor defense yesterday...
Greeenwood had degressed...& it showed. We will need a OLB, next yr.
Mario williams - we need to give him a try @ DT. He is clearly too lazy, to play DE in the NFL. He simply has no heart.

I just wonder how come, we are not using vonte on our running plays. I hate using the 2 TE system & benching the Fullback...It very obvious, that teams our blitzing us from the middle, not outside. Vonta is a beast when blocking, we need to use that to our advantage, like we did last yr against INDY.
shawn76ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #2
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Re: Richard smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn76ers View Post
Mario williams - we need to give him a try @ DT. He is clearly too lazy, to play DE in the NFL. He simply has no heart.

I just wonder how come, we are not using vonte on our running plays. I hate using the 2 TE system & benching the Fullback...It very obvious, that teams our blitzing us from the middle, not outside. Vonta is a beast when blocking, we need to use that to our advantage, like we did last yr against INDY.
i agree completely
Old 10-16-2007   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Morlon Greenwood was quietly having a very good season this year prior to Sunday. I wasn't really looking for him yesterday but I noticed one time the announcers got on his case for something and it was actually DeMeco who did it.

Greenwood isn't as bad as many of you guys say he is. I just don't think that he's being put in a position to succeed most of the time. I think our defense is playing poorly because of how they're being coached and not because they're not capable of playing better. I believe that when they do something well and make a play that it's in spite of system and no necessarily because of it.
Old 10-16-2007   #4
Exithios
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Exithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Morlon Greenwood was quietly having a very good season this year prior to Sunday. I wasn't really looking for him yesterday but I noticed one time the announcers got on his case for something and it was actually DeMeco who did it.

Greenwood isn't as bad as many of you guys say he is. I just don't think that he's being put in a position to succeed most of the time. I think our defense is playing poorly because of how they're being coached and not because they're not capable of playing better. I believe that when they do something well and make a play that it's in spite of system and no necessarily because of it.
+1

Our defensive strategy and system has been questionable all season long. We have excellent run stoppers on defense yet we do not seem to be defending the run, especially against the run heavy offenses. I also believe that we have the ability to pressure the quarterback better than we have been yet it does not seem to be part of our game plans. Our defensive strategy seems to remain the same every game and we are paying for it with losses.

My $0.02
Exithios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #5
3andOUT
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn76ers View Post

Smith brought in NEITHER Greenwood or Mario. Smith's doing a good job of putting a team together the right way (depth and competition) and getting us out of cap trouble. Greenwood is not the only problem. The entire defense was just out of position yesterday. They weren't ready and shot themselves in the foot too many times to win.
3andOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #6
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3andOUT View Post
Smith brought in NEITHER Greenwood or Mario. Smith's doing a good job of putting a team together the right way (depth and competition) and getting us out of cap trouble. Greenwood is not the only problem. The entire defense was just out of position yesterday. They weren't ready and shot themselves in the foot too many times to win.
I think shawn76ers is talking about Richard Smith the DC, and I think you are talking about Rick Smith the GM. I think...I'm so confuzzeled sometimes.

I wonder if Frank Bush will get more involved with defensize playcalling and scheming if this trend of poor D continues? I have yet to be impressed with Richard Smith, the DC, since he's been here.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Where is our defense from the first three games?!

Same players, so it has to be the coaching and playcalling, IMHO.

Teams have figured us out. There are no new wrinkles from week to week. Smith seems intent on trying to impose our will on the opponent, even to the point of stubbornness when it is clearly not working. I quickly grew tired of his ADD attitude last season, when he just blew games for us with horrible play calling (prevent D on Losman, blitzing VY on 3rd and long, not blitzing an entire game because the media said he blitzed too much, etc).

He clearly needs to be released at the end of this season and Bush promoted to DC. Richard Smith's defense is not getting the job done, in spite of solid talent in many areas.
Old 10-16-2007   #8
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

Teams have figured us out. There are no new wrinkles from week to week. Smith seems intent on trying to impose our will on the opponent, even to the point of stubbornness when it is clearly not working. I quickly grew tired of his ADD attitude last season, when he just blew games for us with horrible play calling (prevent D on Losman, blitzing VY on 3rd and long, not blitzing an entire game because the media said he blitzed too much, etc).

He clearly needs to be released at the end of this season and Bush promoted to DC. Richard Smith's defense is not getting the job done, in spite of solid talent in many areas.
I think Richard Smith may need to go, but I think there are plenty of areas on the D were the talent needs to be upgreaded.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I think Richard Smith may need to go, but I think there are plenty of areas on the D were the talent needs to be upgreaded.
I agree 100%. But I think we have enough talent to at least put up a good fight if the players believe in the calls being made from the sideline. I'm not seeing that attitude the past 3 weeks. I think they might be losing confidence in what Richard Smith is about. JMO.
Old 10-16-2007   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

That's the bottom line. I remember the beginning of the season last year when the defense was the same way. Kubiak stated in one of his press conferences that he was going to get involved with the defense. Soon after, the defense began laying the wood to teams.

That was the point I began questioning Richard Smith of being a capable DC. Now it is obvious.

Let the Defense eat!
Old 10-17-2007   #11
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I predicted a day or so ago that this thread would be started.

This thread goes out to all those who say playcalling is not the major factor in our recent woes.

Kubiak made adjustments, it failed, and now he's re-adjusted and has gone back to passing the ball--Our strength.

Richard Smith? Well...he's probably adjusted himself and that's about it.
Old 10-17-2007   #12
real

I don't like Greenwood, but sadly I think Richard Smith makes him look worse.
Old 10-17-2007   #13
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2410 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's getting sad when I can predict the usual 3rd down blitz. I guess part of it is Kubiak since he stresses being able to play the "base" defense well.
dtran04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007   #14
shawn76ers
Texan Genius

Richard just simply refuses to mix up the blitz packages....its not rocket science
If we crumble down the stretch - he should be let go. Have all the faith in the world over frank bush, plus he is an 'ex-oiler".
shawn76ers is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read