Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-15-2007   #61
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Schaub/Roseflels

I gotta admit that with Matt sitting on the bench, I couldn't help thinking of Kubiak doing the same thing to Carr last year and to Steve Young before that (IIRC). I really don't think that's what was going on, but I couldn't help thinking it. A large part of his bad performance (and I do think it was bad) can be blamed on a piss-poor o-line that gets worse with every game.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #62
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Horror View Post
I gotta admit that with Matt sitting on the bench, I couldn't help thinking of Kubiak doing the same thing to Carr last year and to Steve Young before that (IIRC). I really don't think that's what was going on, but I couldn't help thinking it. A large part of his bad performance (and I do think it was bad) can be blamed on a piss-poor o-line that gets worse with every game.
19 of 31 for 259 yards and a pick that wasn't his fault is a "bad performance"? Not to mention the TD pass that was fumbled out of bounds.

I have to wonder what you used to say about YKW's 100 something yard games.

How the hell can somebody say it was a bad performance by Schaub? Sure, it wasn't the best, but dang. Freaking amazing!
Old 10-15-2007   #63
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
19 of 31 for 259 yards and a pick that wasn't his fault is a "bad performance"? Not to mention the TD pass that was fumbled out of bounds.

I have to wonder what you used to say about YKW's 100 something yard games.

How the hell can somebody say it was a bad performance by Schaub? Sure, it wasn't the best, but dang. Freaking amazing!
Couldn't have said it better. Not only that but at one point in the game he was 14-18 and pretty much had a TD his receiver screwed him on. As the game went on and got more out of hand he had to force some things and had the fumble but during the game I saw a guy making plays and still avoiding unnecessary sacks. It still amazes me people want to complain. He wasn't perfect but he was still better than anything we have had...and that was his "bad" game.
Old 10-15-2007   #64
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Couldn't have said it better. Not only that but at one point in the game he was 14-18 and pretty much had a TD his receiver screwed him on. As the game went on and got more out of hand he had to force some things and had the fumble but during the game I saw a guy making plays and still avoiding unnecessary sacks. It still amazes me people want to complain. He wasn't perfect but he was still better than anything we have had...and that was his "bad" game.
It's crazy isn't it?

Schaub is:

-8th in completion %
-4th in yardage behind Brady, Favre and Romo
-T6th in yds/play
-8th in yds/game
-9th in passer rating

The only thing statwise that is bad is his number of TDs. How much of that is his fault?

The bottom line is, Schaub's the best thing this team could've asked for besides the obvious Rick Smith and Kubiak & co.

Old 10-15-2007   #65
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, there was a reference to (and appearance by) the Fresno Mafia earlier in the thread, so I thought the Virginia Mafia should be heard from, too.

Matt clearly needs to improve ball security. However, the best way to ensure you don't fumble it is to not try to throw the ball in traffic (his lost fumbles against Atlanta and Miami were because of this). If he would prematurely tuck the ball away and run, he probably would not fumble as much. But then, if he did that, he'd be a few steps away from being David Carr, and who wants that?

Right now, Matt is moving the offense despite the fact that he has only the slightest semblance of a running game, a bunch of signed-off-the-street WRs, and a questionable OL (certainly not the horrid bunch that Carr made them appear to be, but our OL ain't exactly the '72 Dolphins). Frankly, I wish Kubiak would rely on Schaub more in the red zone, his overthrow to Walter on the ill-fated second possession aside.

As for the initial thrust of the topic (Schaub and Rosenfels), I can't imagine anyone reading too much into a backup's late TD drive after the game was far out of reach. Yes, I'm an unabashed Schaub-homer, but when I see Sage play, I understand why he is the backup. His footwork in the pocket is downright strange--the guy looks like he's on rollerskates--but he does overcome it. I'm certainly glad we have him, but I can see why a good-mechanics guy like Kubiak would not be comfortable with Rosenfels as a starter.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #66
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
While Schaub may not have the strongest arm around it is strong enough to get the ball downfield for big plays.

In the first 6 games of this year, we've had more long pass plays than in the last couple of years of the strong armed Mr Carr.
The only problem is that all of those long pass plays have been severely underthrown with the exception of that 40 yard pass yesterday.
Old 10-15-2007   #67
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
It's crazy isn't it?

Schaub is:

-8th in completion %
-4th in yardage behind Brady, Favre and Romo
-T6th in yds/play
-8th in yds/game
-9th in passer rating

The only thing statwise that is bad is his number of TDs. How much of that is his fault?

The bottom line is, Schaub's the best thing this team could've asked for besides the obvious Rick Smith and Kubiak & co.

Good post, had no idea.
Old 10-15-2007   #68
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
lots of people don't pay attention and take the easy path of blame. I used to be amazed at people making bizarre out to lunch statements too...but it's just so common....I'm jaded now.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #69
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a Rosenfels supporter from last year and would have rather seen the Texans give it a go with Rosenfels then trade for Schaub. I just don't like giving up draft picks and the 2 second round picks have hurt and will hurt us next year.

Having said that, Schaub has done everything right and has been a good addition to our team. Schaub is a leader and damn good QB. The only fault I can see is that he under throws some of his long ball and that isn't a reason to bench him.

We couldn't run on the Jags yesterday and they knew it too, so the DL pinned its ears back and went full bore after Schaub. Every DLman has to make a read on weather the play is a run or a pass. Its a decision that comes naturally and most DLmen don't even realize they are making the decision most of the time. But, that read/decision creates a nanosecond of hesitation that allows the OLman to have an advantage. If the DLman doesn't have to make that decision, it has a dramatic effect in the trench warfare.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #70
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12220 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Why the hell did this make it past the initial post? Good grief.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #71
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
It was an off-day. He looked worse than he did in the other games. He's underthrowing receivers. Picks are picks. It wasn't his best. Take whatever you want. I'm not comparing him to past quarterbacks; I'm judging him on the season. He looked much better in the first few games than he did in Jacksonville. But my point was that it was the fault of his o-line. If the o-line stepped up their play, he'd have had a much better day.

The Texans need a LT and a C in a bad way. Have needed them for a long time, and not just swing players either.

Last edited by Texans Horror; 10-16-2007 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-16-2007   #72
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

You know, early on (I think it was the opening drive, might have been the second one) when Schaub was rolling to his right and I thought he was going to go out of bounds he totally amazed me when he hit Walter for the first down. I remember sitting back and just smiling after that play. We didn't get a lot of that kind of effort to make a play or ability to keep the eyes focused downfield from 2002 to 2006. That was a pleasure to see.

I just keep thinking about the current circumstances (backup center, backup left tackle, no running game to speak of) and thinking that this is only his 6th start for us. We got beat, it happens. We're still going to be seeing amazing things from Matt Schaub.
Old 10-16-2007   #73
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
You know, early on (I think it was the opening drive, might have been the second one) when Schaub was rolling to his right and I thought he was going to go out of bounds he totally amazed me when he hit Walter for the first down. I remember sitting back and just smiling after that play. We didn't get a lot of that kind of effort to make a play or ability to keep the eyes focused downfield from 2002 to 2006. That was a pleasure to see.

I just keep thinking about the current circumstances (backup center, backup left tackle, no running game to speak of) and thinking that this is only his 6th start for us. We got beat, it happens. We're still going to be seeing amazing things from Matt Schaub.
That was a very bad-ass play, by any quarterback standards.
Old 10-16-2007   #74
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well said. I liked that play and then maybe the next drive where he stood in the pocket and threw a laser to the middle of the field to Andre, I believe, for 20 yards. He just makes plays that I'm not used to seeing and his head is always downfield.
Old 10-16-2007   #75
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Horror View Post
It was an off-day. He looked worse than he did in the other games. He's underthrowing receivers. Picks are picks. It wasn't his best. Take whatever you want. I'm not comparing him to past quarterbacks; I'm judging him on the season. He looked much better in the first few games than he did in Jacksonville. But my point was that it was the fault of his o-line. If the o-line stepped up their play, he'd have had a much better day.

The Texans need a LT and a C in a bad way. Have needed them for a long time, and not just swing players either.
I agree. Don't get me wrong. I strongly believe we need some Oline help. I'm just pointing out what Schaub has been able to do with what he's had to work with. He's making plays, not all of them yet, but he's coming along quite nicely IMO.
Old 10-16-2007   #76
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think that alot of people are forgetting just how little game time Schuab has under his belt. For all intents and purposes he's a rookie, well maybe a rookie who has sat a year, but still in terms of full speed NFL games he's a rook. And yet he does not act, nor play, like a rookie at times.

it's been a rather fun watching him develop and trying to figure out just how much better he might get.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read