Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-10-2007   #21
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Did Mario finally show us some real Edge Speed yesterday ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Mario is most impressive in person only then can you get a real sense of his immense presence.
Glimpsing Mario up close and personal is truly memorable because he is in fact such an impressive physical specimen. I saw him without the pads at one of the practices this past summer and he looked more like an NBA PF to me than an NFL lineman. And he is hustling more & more this year, taking fewer plays off than last year: playing in good health without injury does make a big difference.
As more & more time passes I'm feeling better about him and at the same time about Kubiaks judgment in the still famous (or infamous, depending on your take?) 2006 Draft. Afterall, Mario will be only 22 years old at the end of this, his second full season and when he's a mere 25 for example he will be a five year vet in the league so time is on his side to learn all the necessary techniques down to the most minute nuances of those tecniques so to be very effective at his trade.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007   #22
marks01234
Rookie

Rep Power: 186 marks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Glimpsing Mario up close and personal is truly memorable because he is in fact such an impressive physical specimen. I saw him without the pads at one of the practices this past summer and he looked more like an NBA PF to me than an NFL lineman. And he is hustling more & more this year, taking fewer plays off than last year: playing in good health without injury does make a big difference.
As more & more time passes I'm feeling better about him and at the same time about Kubiaks judgment in the still famous (or infamous, depending on your take?) 2006 Draft. Afterall, Mario will be only 22 years old at the end of this, his second full season and when he's a mere 25 for example he will be a five year vet in the league so time is on his side to learn all the necessary techniques down to the most minute nuances of those tecniques so to be very effective at his trade.
Mario's physically on another level. He might be the NFL's best overall athlete.

BTW, he's a pretty bad basketball player.
marks01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007   #23
Livid13
Veteran

Rep Power: 31 Livid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Do you see PLAYER DEVOLPMENT? He wasn't a Jevon Kearse, who came out guns blazing his rookie year, so what? I'd rather have an All Pro for 5-6 years than some wunderkind, who fades into nothingness. NO, I'm not saying that Mario is going to be a six timer, but the possibility is a LOT clearer than a year ago. BTW, I agree with dropping the VY comparisons, it's in the rear view mirror.
Old 10-14-2007   #24
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks01234 View Post
Mario's physically on another level. He might be the NFL's best overall athlete.

BTW, he's a pretty bad basketball player.
You know what? Right now I'd say that Reggie Bush is the most overhyped player in any sport that I've ever heard of, but I'd still simultaneously say that he is the most athletic player in the NFL. These things are subjective though, and Mario's a nice candidate.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007   #25
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314353 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
You know what? Right now I'd say that Reggie Bush is the most overhyped player in any sport that I've ever heard of, but I'd still simultaneously say that he is the most athletic player in the NFL. These things are subjective though, and Mario's a nice candidate.
In the long run, I still believe we are better off with Mario instead of Bush, but only time will tell. The argument about Vince Young (of which I do like a lot) has been, at least somewhat, rendered mute because of Schaub.

It would be interesting to be able to see into the future about three or four years to find out what this famous trio is up to, and who eventually will be proven "right" or "wrong".

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007   #26
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario is having a nice season so far and definitely has the tools to be awesome. While he is a tremendous athlete, I don't think he is a natural pass rusher. I think he can develop into, it will just take a little time. I think next season you will see more of MW inside on passing downs, and ultimately he could become a monster DT. I could be wrong but his skills seem a bit more suited to playing inside. Plus an Okoye MW DT tandem could be awesome.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read