Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-05-2007   #121
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Define 'blitz'

Blitzed definition

Wrong thread

Blitz

I am not reading 6 pages. Sorry guys, I know there is alot of good info but I'm hustling out of here to help with baby and to buy a 1 year anniversary gift. In high school we played a 4-3 and our blitzes were anyone rushing the passer that did not include the down linemen. Corners, safeties, LBs. I know there are hybrids now and differences with the 3-4 since part of the 4 are standup rushers..that is my simple answer. I do know the zone blitz and have seen it talked about in a previous page in this thread. I didn't hear Andre today
Old 10-05-2007   #122
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
And what if you asked someone where the beer is at, and for them left is right and right is left and you try to follow their directions and end up locked out of the rehearsal studio with no beer and no band? Or if you ask someone for the beer and to them "beer" means "motor oil" and you end up chugging 10W-30?
Now you want to debate with me the usage of the term "left" and "right" in reference to directions given to some one?

There are words that have precise meanings and some that are more generic than precise.

I am merely giving you guys perspective of where Andre may have been coming from.

Not everyone was taught football the exact same way using the exact same terms and meanings. As a result some people use terminology differently, particularly the blitz term. Which is why I never said any of you guys are wrong. Because you are not.

I can clearly understand that a guy learning football in the 80's would have this type of perspective.

My opinion, the term blitz is overused.

So what?

But, it definitely doesn't make me stupid, think Kubiak is a bad coach, that I never played football, know a diminished chord, or any other conclusion you guys come to.

Last edited by hollywood_texan; 10-05-2007 at 02:57 PM.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #123
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
Now you want to debate with me the usage of the term "left" and "right" in reference to directions given to some one?

There are words that have precise meanings and some that are more generic than precise.

I am merely giving you guys perspective of where Andre may have been coming from.

Not everyone was taught football the exact same way using the exact same terms and meanings. As a result some people use terminology differently, particularly the blitz term. Which is why I never said any of you guys are wrong. Because you are not.

I can clearly understand that a guy learning football in the 80's would have this type of perspective.

My opinion, the term blitz is overused.

So what?

But, it definitely doesn't make me stupid, think Kubiak is a bad coach, that I never played football, know a diminished chord, or any other conclusion you guys come to.
I'm trying to use analogies to show you the problem with what you're saying. You think that the term "blitz" has some sort of fluid meaning when it doesn't. You think that the term "blitz" has changed in meaning over the years, when it hasn't. You think that some people have been taught other meanings for the word and to some people, it might mean something different, when it doesn't and they haven't. An A minor chord is an A minor chord, left is left, and a blitz is a blitz.

It's not overused. It's used to describe something that actually happens and happens a lot.

A long time ago, I had just started posting on a weight training newsgroup. I was wanting to learn more about weight training (and that's were the Pencil Neck name comes from.) A guy made a comment that Creatine makes you retain water in your cells and is a salt (because salt makes you retain water.) A couple of posters came down on this guy like a ton of bricks and I defended him because it seemed to me that they were being way too harsh. I didn't (and don't) know much about the chemical composition of Creatine and argued that it COULD be a salt (I just didn't know for sure.) And those guys came down on me really hard. And we argued for a bit. I didn't know who these guys were. Well, it turned out I was arguing with two of the best supplement chemists in the business who knew EXACTLY what the chemical composition of Creatine is and that it's NOT a salt. I was wrong.

Right now, you're in the same basic position I was in back then. You're defending Andre on the basis that maybe he was taught something different and that maybe different people use the term to mean different things and that Andre was just as right as anyone else. That's wrong. There's not a lot of give about what a blitz is or is not. It's very odd that Andre would have this definition wrong but no one's perfect. If someone taught him this, then they taught him wrong.

It's like arguing over what an A minor chord is. There's one right answer and then everything else.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #124
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I'm trying to use analogies to show you the problem with what you're saying. You think that the term "blitz" has some sort of fluid meaning when it doesn't. You think that the term "blitz" has changed in meaning over the years, when it hasn't. You think that some people have been taught other meanings for the word and to some people, it might mean something different, when it doesn't and they haven't. An A minor chord is an A minor chord, left is left, and a blitz is a blitz.

It's not overused. It's used to describe something that actually happens and happens a lot.

A long time ago, I had just started posting on a weight training newsgroup. I was wanting to learn more about weight training (and that's were the Pencil Neck name comes from.) A guy made a comment that Creatine makes you retain water in your cells and is a salt (because salt makes you retain water.) A couple of posters came down on this guy like a ton of bricks and I defended him because it seemed to me that they were being way too harsh. I didn't (and don't) know much about the chemical composition of Creatine and argued that it COULD be a salt (I just didn't know for sure.) And those guys came down on me really hard. And we argued for a bit. I didn't know who these guys were. Well, it turned out I was arguing with two of the best supplement chemists in the business who knew EXACTLY what the chemical composition of Creatine is and that it's NOT a salt. I was wrong.

Right now, you're in the same basic position I was in back then. You're defending Andre on the basis that maybe he was taught something different and that maybe different people use the term to mean different things and that Andre was just as right as anyone else. That's wrong. There's not a lot of give about what a blitz is or is not. It's very odd that Andre would have this definition wrong but no one's perfect. If someone taught him this, then they taught him wrong.

It's like arguing over what an A minor chord is. There's one right answer and then everything else.
Pencil Neck, I like you and I hope we can hook up during the San Diego game. I need to make sure I still have your number.

But comparing the term blitz and it's usage to a scientific term developed precisely due to it's physical composition isn't even in the same ball park, isn't even the same league, isn't even the same sport...

Get it?

We are talking about foot massages here...

And let me tell you, I am the foot f*#$ing master. I got my technique down. I don't even tickle...
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #125
Battle Red Flash
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Battle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Mark argued that a blitz is anytime you bring someone for a pass rush that is not a lineman. He mentioned a 'zone blitz', where a lineman drops into coverage and the defense brings a LB or CB into the rush. Andre continue to insist that this is NOT a blitz, regardless of what anyone calls it, and it is strictly "bringing pressure" if there are not more defenders than blockers.
Andre is wrong. Marc is right.
Probably why Andre did not make it in the league, and still won't admit that it had to do with his talent level. It's all Detroit's fault.
Old 10-05-2007   #126
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
Pencil Neck, I like you and I hope we can hook up during the San Diego game. I need to make sure I still have your number.

But comparing the term blitz and it's usage to a scientific term developed precisely due to it's physical composition isn't even in the same ball park, isn't even the same league, isn't even the same sport...

Get it?

We are talking about foot massages here...

And let me tell you, I am the foot f*#$ing master. I got my technique down. I don't even tickle...
That's not a foot you're massaging.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read