Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-02-2007   #21
real

Default Re: Rate Eric Winston's play in 2007

I think the coaching staff disagrees.
Old 10-02-2007   #22
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

i've never seen Winston as a LT. just doesn't have the arms for it. not in the NFL.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #23
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
i've never seen Winston as a LT. just doesn't have the arms for it. not in the NFL.
Well, I don't think his slightly shorter arms would change his abilities. Jacoby Jones as really small hands, and that doesn't seem to be stopping him. I saw Winston as a LT eventually, I thought he should play LG for a year while recovering, but he is a LT to me.
Old 10-02-2007   #24
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's a compliment for Winston:

Sometimes I forget he's on our team, and I forget the other team has a strong-side DE too.

I think SOLID might have been the best answer, though.

PS-I was real happy about it when they called Winston's name in the draft, too. But, I don't know about this LT talk.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007   #25
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Smile Re: Rate Eric Winston's play in 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
No, that's not right because I know better. Badboy informed me that Mussolini & the Italians bombed Pearl.
Now you guys know I meant Demeco Ryans! I felt same way though when we selected JJ. Sorry about my stupidity. I did not get the bombing comment until today. SHeesh! My point should be I need to allow Smith and Kubes to continue their fine work. Scouts really should get the applause. I think Ryans had a much better rep that year coming out than did JJ last draft. More than me were not so excited about Ryans as a LB at 2nd round. Turned out ok as will JJ apparently. Thanks guys for not crushing me too badly.
badboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007   #26
gjmac2
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 gjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden cover

I would not mind taking a look at Winston at LT, but I am not going to cry if they leave him at RT.

IMO, the guy is playing at a very high rate. IF Spencer makes it back from his injury, the Texans will have their bookend tackles for the next ten years.
Old 10-03-2007   #27
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjmac2 View Post
IF Spencer makes it back from his injury, the Texans will have their bookend tackles for the next ten years.
Unless Dayne runs into one of them again.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007   #28
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the fact that the new Texans allow a player to develop before throwing him on the scrap heap. I think Winston is progressing nicely and taking advantage of this opportunity.
Old 10-03-2007   #29
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Speaking of which, I checked on Seth Wand - waived by the Titans. Perhaps he wasn't as good as I thought he was.

If (crossed fingers or is it uncrossed for the opposite?) Spencer doesn't recover, I do wonder if Winston would get a shot at LT. I don't think there was really a choice this year - Salaam at LT and Winston at RT is probably better than any other combination they could make.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #30
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

You know, I'm really impressed with the progression Winston has made from his rookie year to today. His technique is much better and he is a reliable RT. Aside from on occasional missed assignment, like picking up a blitzing LB when his man stunts inside, he'd done a great job. Shutting down Peppers was a big boost for him too.

Winston B+ to A-.
Old 10-04-2007   #31
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
for a 3rd rounder in his 2nd year after a big injury in high school? he's been great. and remember, he's still learning the position, as he was recruited to miami to be a TE, and he didn't play tackle till his sophomore year. he's only going to get better.

but he's not a LT. so keep him at RT.
He's playing so well....I wouldn't rule out a slide to the left if the circumstances were correct. I think if Flannagan has another crapy ( may I post crapy ? ) game we'll see some movement along the o-line. And I'm not banging on Salaam. But he has fourteen games on those legs. I can see it coming sports fans. They need to start prepairing for that little worse case scenario now. Reading the smoke from the coach speak this summer, I'm prety sure that Spencer is bound for the IR list. And I have no hope that I-65 can play the left side....in any system. And unless someone in the know has seen CS running the practice squad OLT the last few days....you're looking for a month window for him to be ready to be locked and loaded. You think amen's absence hurt...just wait.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 10-04-2007 at 02:58 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #32
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex King View Post
Speaking of which, I checked on Seth Wand - waived by the Titans. Perhaps he wasn't as good as I thought he was.

If (crossed fingers or is it uncrossed for the opposite?) Spencer doesn't recover, I do wonder if Winston would get a shot at LT. I don't think there was really a choice this year - Salaam at LT and Winston at RT is probably better than any other combination they could make.
Seth Wand makes a prety good back up. Agreed with the combination. However
one of these years it would be nice to draft someone to groom into the most improtant position on the o-line befor the fifty spot. Prety weird how that Edge fellow in the desert suddenly found his second leg's. And how that fifth round moss back tallent in Cleveland found another two hunderd yard game. Well maybe not so weird.
Old 10-04-2007   #33
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
No, that's not right because I know better. Badboy informed me that Mussolini & the Italians bombed Pearl.
I don't know where you guys got educated, but at MY public school, we were taught that it was the CIA who bombed Pearl Harbor with help from Canadian Special Forces so we could invade Pacific Islands and the European mainland on a patriotic high of imperialistic aggression. I dunno if that's right or wrong...I'm just saying......
Oh yeah, Winston has looked pretty solid at RT this year. I've been pleasantly surprised by the pass blocking this year. I'm sooooooo happy to eat crow for saying a QB doesn't make an O-line look better than it is. I'm a believer now.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read