Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-01-2007   #1
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Up next: The Dolphins!

allright, you went to Atlanta and lost to an 0-3 Falcons team that sucked, but managed to put up some points with Joey Harrington throwing the ball around like he's Johnny U. surely you won't lose another game to a winless team with an awful QB??

RIGHT!

because Miami is clearly the worst team in the league, sporting an aging awful QB who throws a lot of picks, the WORST rush defense i've seen in forever, awful special teams coverage and returning, and just general inept coaching all around! we managed to make Justin Fargas look like Bo Jackson. so i expect Ron Dayne to look like Earl Campbell.

just watch out for Ronnie Brown, who's pretty much guaranteed to get 150 yards from scrimmage in any way possible. however, if you stop him, don't even worry about, take the second half off, go home, enjoy a beer or two, the game will be done. over. miami is miserable, the worst i've ever seen them, and i expect Houston to win fairly easily.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #2
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Up next: The Dolphins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
allright, you went to Atlanta and lost to an 0-3 Falcons team that sucked, but managed to put up some points with Joey Harrington throwing the ball around like he's Johnny U. surely you won't lose another game to a winless team with an awful QB??

RIGHT!

because Miami is clearly the worst team in the league, sporting an aging awful QB who throws a lot of picks, the WORST rush defense i've seen in forever, awful special teams coverage and returning, and just general inept coaching all around! we managed to make Justin Fargas look like Bo Jackson. so i expect Ron Dayne to look like Earl Campbell.

just watch out for Ronnie Brown, who's pretty much guaranteed to get 150 yards from scrimmage in any way possible. however, if you stop him, don't even worry about, take the second half off, go home, enjoy a beer or two, the game will be done. over. miami is miserable, the worst i've ever seen them, and i expect Houston to win fairly easily.
I don't know man...I am going to wait until the injury report comes out before I start talking smack again. Its obvious that we don't have the depth to win games when our key guys go out yet so if Green and Johnson are still out I expect a close game.

Also...I don't think no team no matter how bad can make Dayne look like Earl...unless of course that team is the Colts
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #3
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Well I'm not going to post they are going to blow out the fish or anything. What I will say is I believe the young uns' have learned their collective lessons about underestimaing a wounded NFL beat. I saw it coming two weeks ago. They should have the motors started at the opening kick off this time. Now whether or not they can over come the injuries and find a way, is anyones guess.

OH, has Ginn Jr. gotten the boot off yet ? And how many TD returns does he have thus far ? Should of taken Quinn or Okoye. Going to take them two years to recover form that mistake. Can you say "rebuilding years" kast-of-Nsa ? There , yes I thought you could.
Old 10-01-2007   #4
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

0 - 0 Tie. Thats my prediction. Two teams playing fairly awful right now.

It's ok that you guys can't stop the run because the Flab Cab Ron Dayne in the backfield. Push

Aging QB? Don't worry - we made Joey Harrington look all worldy.

Special Teams? Be fearful of Dexter Wynn...he's a mad man. (Actually fairly decent stepping in for our injured ST starters).

Inept coaching? Well a toss to Dayne isn't a great move. But I like Kubiak so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #5
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 2838 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans 33 - Fins 17
Old 10-01-2007   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

After Atlanta, I'm not making any more predictions for a while. Yesterday brought me back down to Earth. Without a decent RB and some safeties and corners that can actually do their job, I'm fresh out of smack for the moment.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #7
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Almost any team in the NFL going into a game without its top RB, starting center, and top two WRs, as well without as anyone remotely threatening on special teams, can't seriously be expecting to blow people out. Mix in a sudden case of yellow fever and a nasty new tendency of embarrassing clock management, and they can't even expect to win--even when they're clearly the better team.

If Dayne is out there starting and the run-blocking looks like yesterday, the Texans are in trouble. BUT...the QB situation is so dramatically better this year that I'm pretty sure it's led to a 2-win improvement over where the team would be without Schaub. I shudder to think what the Texans would look like right now, in this injury situation, with last year's QB still in place. So right now, it's not all gloom and doom, and I think this is a good game for the home team to get back into a groove and HOPEFULLY get some players back.

Cautious optimism, then.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-01-2007   #8
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
OH, has Ginn Jr. gotten the boot off yet ? And how many TD returns does he have thus far ? Should of taken Quinn or Okoye. Going to take them two years to recover form that mistake. Can you say "rebuilding years" kast-of-Nsa ? There , yes I thought you could.
ginn has looked good, but he's not being used in the offense at all. then again, i don't really want any of our receivers to be used because i don't want to see trent green throw the ball.
Old 10-01-2007   #9
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

kastofsna - any word on Zach Thomas coming back for next week?
Old 10-01-2007   #10
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Trent Green still has a little life left in him, and we somehow manage to make the worst QBs look like Joe Montana (or Ryan Fitzpatrick, if you prefer).

We'll stop the running game, for the most part, but we'll continue to give up key 3rd down conversions. Anyone happen to know what our defensive percentage is on 3rd downs? We have been giving it up like a prom queen on pr ... err .... well, we've been bad.

Offensively, we're just too banged up to be relied upon. We have had one good offensive game - Carolina. We scored one offensive TD vs. KC, one offensive TD vs. the Colts when it mattered, anyway, and one offensive TD vs. the Falcons. Schaub's done well, but he's good for at least one bonehead throw a game, and he's gotten away with a couple underthrows that have gone for big plays. If the mistakes catch up, we're in trouble.

I expect Marty Booker to go off for 100+ yards and 2 TDs, while Chambers complains to the coaching staff that he has to line up on Robinson's side of the field.

This is the kind of game that Texans are going to have to start winning, if they expect to be taken seriously. I'm trying to be positive and optimistic here, but I have decades of Houston sports history tapping me on the shoulder.
Old 10-01-2007   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not really ready to move on to the Dolphins yet. I'm still in mourning.

But, if I had to guess, Trent Green will most likely have a career best.
Old 10-01-2007   #12
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

I'm not scurred. The Texans will win 30 to 17. I can see it now. Amobi and Mario..yes Mario...will have HUGE games, and so will DRob. I think Schuab and co will step it up on offense, and Dayne will be playing for his job, so he will play with more passion. I see us winning this one, we really have something to prove. I think the 'D' is good for two turnovers, and we will capitalize on them this time.
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I'm not really ready to move on to the Dolphins yet. I'm still in mourning.
Don't worry. You're just in Stage 4 of the grief cycle. Acceptance is right around the corner.

Is there such a thing as a "must win" in week 5? If a 2-2 team coming off a 2 game losing streak has any playoff aspirations, the answer is yes. A home game against a winless opponent...this is a must win for the Texans.

I won't measure this team by how they play teams like the Colts or the Chargers. It's how they play against the Falcons & Dolphins of the NFL that concerns me. The Texans aren't doing anything or going anywhere unless they win games like this.
Old 10-01-2007   #14
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Miami's DL got pushed around by Oakland's OL. The Raiders ran it down their throat and were consistently in the Dolphins secondary. Culpepper had 12 passing attempts, while they averaged 6.1 yards per rush.
Old 10-01-2007   #15
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Miami's DL got pushed around by Oakland's OL. The Raiders ran it down their throat and were consistently in the Dolphins secondary. Culpepper had 12 passing attempts, while they averaged 6.1 yards per rush.
I was watching the highlights of the game on NFL Network, and I noticed on one of Culpepper's TD runs he made a gesture to the fans pointing to his knee then giving an "OK" sign. I really got a good laugh out of that one. The guy must've been pretty damn happy on the plane ride home.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #16
SF49erFaithful
Crabtree FTW

Rep Power: 41 SF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly what happened to Miami's D? That was the only thing goin' for them last year and it looks like they have lost that too. Maybe it's just a slump and they'll regain their composure though.
SF49erFaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #17
stevn8r
Zombie

Section: 117 Row F 18-19
Rep Power: 197 stevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to stevn8r

ALRIGHT!!!!! I AM DONE SULKING!!!!
WE ARE GOOD ENOUGH!
WE ARE SMART ENOUGH!
AND DOG GONE IT, PEOPLE LIKE US!!!
I will be at the game, I will scream my head off and we WILL BEAT MIAMI!

that being said we really stunk up the joint against the falcons!
Kubes was pissed off on the side line and I bet there will be some hard working going on this week! And I bet ya a dollar Salaam does not let another one get by him all season!
Old 10-02-2007   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Don't worry. You're just in Stage 4 of the grief cycle. Acceptance is right around the corner.

Is there such a thing as a "must win" in week 5? If a 2-2 team coming off a 2 game losing streak has any playoff aspirations, the answer is yes. A home game against a winless opponent...this is a must win for the Texans.

I won't measure this team by how they play teams like the Colts or the Chargers. It's how they play against the Falcons & Dolphins of the NFL that concerns me. The Texans aren't doing anything or going anywhere unless they win games like this.
I agree. Winless teams scare the crap out of me. IIRC, we were O-fer going into last years Dolphin game. This year the tables have turned.
Old 10-02-2007   #19
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

let's go over some of Miami's stars right now. it's funny:

- Jason Taylor. defensive player of the year in '06. this year? defensive turd of the year. seriously, he SUCKS right now. he's not putting pressure, he's making dumb mistakes (several penalties against Oakland), he's ineffective in the running game, and he's not even drawing double teams. he's useless.
- Zach Thomas. bad concussion, missed two games. before that, he was playing very well. but, as we all know, you can't make great plays on the sidelines. i don't know if he'll play this week.
- Keith Traylor. he's a dinosaur. and not a velociraptor. he's a big giant sluggy brontosaurus. i really really want Amobi Okoye.
- Vonnie Holliday, one of our best d-line players, is out for this game.
- the entire secondary. they give up big plays, they are making sloppy tackles, they're injured (had to sign Donovan Darius and some other vet safety). Jason Allen, our first rounder in '05, is a complete bust, as he's the 4th corner on the team right now. to be the 4th corner on the Dolphins.....
- on offense, our stars are playing really well. Ronnie Brown is leading the NFL in yards, despite not getting the ball at ALL the first two games. that's pretty damn good. don't expect to shut him down so easily. he's on pace for 1200 yards rushing, 1000 yards receiving. he's the next LT. get used to that fact, it's going to happen. btw, check out this beautiful TD. http://www.tecphotos.com/dolphins/d/...+TOUCHDOWN.gif feel for the poor safety.
- Chris Chambers is having a career year, as he's not playing inconsistently and dropping the ball. Marty Booker looks good. we're not using our third receivers at all, whether it be Derek Hagan or Ted Ginn. maybe they're not good enough for that, but regardless, they're not in there.
- as for the tight end position? forget it. Justin Peele is good, but we never see him.
- the o-line is like Houston their first few years. great in the running game, not so great in the passing game. and just like Houston their first few years, we have a QB who has trouble getting rid of that ball in time.
- Trent Green has made some great throws. there's no doubt that he's an upgrade over Daunte Culpepper, Joey Harrington, and pretty much every single QB since Marino retired (except Gus Frerotte, who was actually decent, overall). he's throwing a lot of picks, but, that's what you get when you're a Miami QB. unfortunately, he'll allow a dumb sack here and there. you can exploit that.
- on special teams, we can't cover anything. expect big yards, if Mathis and Jones are playing. Ted Ginn has looked pretty good returning. you can tell that he's a little hesitant at times, but even so, he's one of the league leaders in return AVG. i expect him to get a TD any time now. our rookie punter is, right now, the best 7th round pick of the past draft. he's really good. and Jay Feeley is an improvement over Olindo Mare. so, that's one area of the team we're good at: kicking and punting.
- as for playcalling, meh....it's iffy at times. but i think every fan can complain about the playcalling of their team, no matter what.

so there ya go. a complete break down, basically.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read