Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-01-2007   #1
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881
Default We Were 1 1/2 Yards Away

The two drives that killed our game:

1.) We march down the field, Schaub gets a 12 yard run that ends up a half yard short. Then, on third down, we decide to try and play action it and throw an incomplete pass. Then we decide not to try and get 1/2 yard and kick the field goal.

2.) We march down the field again, get to the one yard line, and then toss it to the outside to Ron Dayne who almost loses us the ball.

One play would have won us the game: run it up the gut with Ron Dayne. I swear I thought that Kubes loved Ron Dayne and it's obvious his biggest trait as a running back is being able to run over people, why not give it to him when it counts? Why would we pitch to the outside for Ron Dayne? Would it be too easy to just run it up the gut between the tackles? Ron Dayne is not built to run outside the tackles. We score these two drives, it's 26-26 with us driving down the field there in the end making a run to win the game. Look at it this way, we played terrible and we still should have won the game. I couldn't say that in the past and hopefully this was a big slap in the face for our team. The defense was terrible, Petey was terrible, Morlon was especially terrible too, and surprisingly enough I thought our offense did a good job. We scored on just about every drive if not every drive in the second half. The play calling cost us this game.
Old 10-01-2007   #2
twelvegage
Rookie

Default Re: We Were 1 1/2 Yards Away

i still don't understand why when we missed that last FG we even did that. We went for it on 4th down earlier that drive, only to kick it on another 4th down? that makes no sense to me. i'm also not to sure why we only blitzed in Joey's face, nothing from behind his back. This being my first game to watch, even with our injuries, I'd say we're a Secondary (maybe even just a 2nd cornerback) away from being AFC South champions. Our front 7 kept the run bottled up for the most part, but Faggins needs to go away. /rant
twelvegage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #3
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881 View Post

1.) We march down the field, Schaub gets a 12 yard run that ends up a half yard short. Then, on third down, we decide to try and play action it and throw an incomplete pass. Then we decide not to try and get 1/2 yard and kick the field goal.

2.) We march down the field again, get to the one yard line, and then toss it to the outside to Ron Dayne who almost loses us the ball.

One play would have won us the game: run it up the gut with Ron Dayne. I swear I thought that Kubes loved Ron Dayne and it's obvious his biggest trait as a running back is being able to run over people, why not give it to him when it counts? Why would we pitch to the outside for Ron Dayne? Would it be too easy to just run it up the gut between the tackles? Ron Dayne is not built to run outside the tackles. We score these two drives, it's 26-26 with us driving down the field there in the end making a run to win the game. Look at it this way, we played terrible and we still should have won the game. I couldn't say that in the past and hopefully this was a big slap in the face for our team. The defense was terrible, Petey was terrible, Morlon was especially terrible too, and surprisingly enough I thought our offense did a good job. We scored on just about every drive if not every drive in the second half. The play calling cost us this game.

Let's say all that stuff happened. At what point did the defense EVER show ANY sign of being able to stop John Elw-- er, Joey Harrington today? Answer - never. If the above stuff had happened, Joey 'Hall of Fame' Harrington surely, and easily - would have driven the Falcons down for another score.

Things that cost us the game: HORRIBLE DEFENSE, 1. Play-calling, 2.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #4
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

1) if we are a half yard short, why not quick snap and QB sneak it. Look what Schaub did with that play earlier. I was yelling at the sports bar TV that we should have snuck it in.

2. We get to the one and we should have brought in Leach and Cook. Make Leach the lead blocker and have Cook drive it in behind him. All we needed was a couple of yards and Cook can get that falling down.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #5
IonSen88
Rookie

Quote:
One play would have won us the game
Welcome to the NFL. By the way, that could probably be said for the Falcons too. It goes both ways...They had 2 drives stop at the 4 and 10.
IonSen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #6
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
1) if we are a half yard short, why not quick snap and QB sneak it. Look what Schaub did with that play earlier. I was yelling at the sports bar TV that we should have snuck it in.
Did you happen to notice that Schaub could barely walk after the scramble? He would not have been able to get enough drive, or at least he had given the play caller pause. I think his hurt foot is why the pitch was hot, he rushed it because he could not move quick.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read