Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-07-2007   #1
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Gameday Preview from HPF

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/pr...07/week01.html
Pretty good read as usual.
Old 09-07-2007   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Gameday Preview from HPF

Mohr does a good job writing for their previews...this is the most notable change from the Texans 1.0 imo
Quote:
2. Throw More Than 1 TD
In David Carr’s final 32 games as a Texan, he threw for two or more touchdowns in just five games. He threw none in 14 games. Any wonder why the Texans were 8-24? The team has to make plays in the passing game and it's up to Kubiak to help his new protégé out by devising a smart, effective gameplan against a team that should be easy pickings, relatively speaking.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Why is everyone so convinced of the crappiness of the Chiefs D?
They ranked 11th (I think) in points allowed last season, bolstered their LB corps significantly and upgraded their starters at both DL and S. Not to mention some of their guys were young and should be entering their prime
Old 09-07-2007   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
homervision

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007   #5
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 19226 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
homervision
That and the suspension of Allen I think are the biggest culprits.

Last edited by Errant Hothy; 09-07-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007   #6
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

The Chiefs D is pretty damn good. Our only hope against them is that we can wear them out by keeping them on the field.

If we turn the ball over on offense, all bets are off.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007   #7
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142041 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They ranked 11th (I think) in points allowed last season, bolstered their LB corps significantly and upgraded their starters at both DL and S. Not to mention some of their guys were young and should be entering their prime

Honestly, they could be really good. It's going to be a good test of our offense. I think they were like 15th in yardage allowed last year.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-07-2007   #8
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 59622 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
homervision
Does that come in HD?
Old 09-07-2007   #9
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142041 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Does that come in HD?

HR... High Rosecolored.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007   #10
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 59622 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
HR... High Rosecolored.
lol

Would that be rose colored Kool-Aid?
Old 09-07-2007   #11
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan
Send a message via AIM to JohnsonFan Send a message via Skype™ to JohnsonFan

thanks, interesting read

PS. Yall wanna mess lets mess
JohnsonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007   #12
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why is everyone so convinced of the crappiness of the Chiefs D?They ranked 11th (I think) in points allowed last season, bolstered their LB corps significantly and upgraded their starters at both DL and S. Not to mention some of their guys were young and should be entering their prime
I think the Colts game from a couple years ago where they got punked so bad that on Tuesday the jokes were Indy just score another touchdown on KC. So that still has people questioning there defense.
Old 09-07-2007   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 99011 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They ranked 11th (I think) in points allowed last season, bolstered their LB corps significantly and upgraded their starters at both DL and S.
How can anyone really know whether the Chiefs defense will be good or not? The KC defense that was on the field last season won't be playing in Reliant Stadium on Sunday. With their best defensive player on suspension, the Chiefs will be playing 6 new starters on defense. Maybe they'll be better than last season. Maybe not. You won't know until they play.

But, I don't think it's blind homerism to point out that the Chiefs D has flaws. Jared Allen is their best defensive player, hands down. He causes disruption along the line and KC can't replace that. The linebacking corps of Johnson, Harris, and Edwards has speed, but they aren't strong against the run. Harris is still young, but has already bounced around the league. Edwards is in his 12th season and hasn't played the WLB spot in 6 years. Derrick Johnson is talented, but has been a questionable tackler since entering the league.

Law and Surtain are wily, vet corners. But, they can't handle WRs all over the field. Behind them are a couple of 2nd year players. Page and Pollard may become an upgrade over the vets the Chiefs deployed at safety last season. But, they'll probably be better in week 16 than week 1. These noobs deserve to be tested downfield.

What I'm saying is that you can't just look at last year's numbers and tell if a team or a unit will be good or bad the following year. With Allen missing, plus the turnover of personnel, I think it's fortunate the Texans are facing KC early, rather than later in the season.
Old 09-07-2007   #14
mridge01
Veteran

Rep Power: 470 mridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is my official first post on this forum. I never knew about it. I like it. There is a lot of activity here compared to some others. Aside from that, I like the Texans in a tight one clinched in the 4th quarter by a Brown FG. If the Texans d-line let Huard stand back there like they are allergic to him, all bets are off. I don't think they need to rush consistently since they obviously aren't capable of it, but in 3rd down and passing situations definitely and maybe one or two other times that could lead to turnovers. I expect a Texans win 20-17, but have visions of many a pedestrian QB looking like a probowl MVP against a nonexistent Texans pass rush.
mridge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007   #15
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridge01 View Post
This is my official first post on this forum. I never knew about it. I like it. There is a lot of activity here compared to some others. Aside from that, I like the Texans in a tight one clinched in the 4th quarter by a Brown FG. If the Texans d-line let Huard stand back there like they are allergic to him, all bets are off. I don't think they need to rush consistently since they obviously aren't capable of it, but in 3rd down and passing situations definitely and maybe one or two other times that could lead to turnovers. I expect a Texans win 20-17, but have visions of many a pedestrian QB looking like a probowl MVP against a nonexistent Texans pass rush.
Let's hope you're right newbie....but only about the win
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007   #16
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Key to our defense is we have to get a hat on Tony G .... esp on 3rd down, we have to shut down drive continuing plays ...I have lost track of the am't of times a TE would get open and burn us on 3rd down..With our front 4 that we have now, we need to produce pressure and not let Tony run free
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read