Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-07-2005   #21
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by trijcomm
...And no matter what the draft, free agency, training camp or the preseason will bring, the bulk of this team will still be the same...
No, they won't be the same. The young players already on the team will have had another year of experience, another year in the weight room, another round of mini camps, another training camp, another preseason. Not the same players, not the same team.
Old 01-07-2005   #22
trijcomm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
No, they won't be the same. The young players already on the team will have had another year of experience, another year in the weight room, another round of mini camps, another training camp, another preseason. Not the same players, not the same team.
Like I said, the bulk of the team will be the same. And it remains to be seen if another year of experience, in the weight room, in training camp etc. will make a difference anyway. Somebody once told me that four years of experience don't mean anything if it's the same year's worth of experience that is just repeated four times. There will be some face changes -- there always are on every team. But if you think there is going to be a huge overhaul to the point where this squad "is not the same team" then I think you will be sadly mistaken.
Old 01-07-2005   #23
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Like I said, the bulk of the team will be the same. And it remains to be seen if another year of experience, in the weight room, in training camp etc. will make a difference anyway.
So are the young players more likely or less likely to get better? David Carr has gotten better every year. So has Andre Johnson. Domanick Davis. So have guys like Faggins, Peek, & Gaffney. I think Jason Babin will improve. I'll venture that even Dunta Robinson's play will rise. If weight programs, mini camps, & training camps didn't make a difference, they wouldn't bother with them. The Texans are not in a static mode. There is absolutely no reason, real reason, that the Texan can't improve to the point where they're playoff contenders in '05.
Old 01-07-2005   #24
trijcomm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
So are the young players more likely or less likely to get better? David Carr has gotten better every year. So has Andre Johnson. Domanick Davis. So have guys like Faggins, Peek, & Gaffney. I think Jason Babin will improve. I'll venture that even Dunta Robinson's play will rise. If weight programs, mini camps, & training camps didn't make a difference, they wouldn't bother with them. The Texans are not in a static mode. There is absolutely no reason, real reason, that the Texan can't improve to the point where they're playoff contenders in '05.
Nobody knows if they will get better. Did Gary Walker get better? How about Billy Miller? Kris Brown? Chuck Staley? You are only guessing that Robinson will get better -- many rookies declined after a great first season. Ever hear of the sophomore curse? And do you think that the other 31 teams are going to sit back and not go to the weight programs, mini-camps, etc. and just let "The Team" get better without getting better themselves? There are MANY reasons to be patient with "The Team" and have realistic expectations. This team has some obstacles to clear before they should even be considered a playoff contender. I am sure most fans outside this town don't see the Texans as much of a threat to be in the playoffs. Capable of winning a game here and there, yes. But not the playoffs. I agree with them. They are still at least a year away. Get back to me in 2006.
Old 01-07-2005   #25
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Chuck Staley?
Chuck Studley? Chad Stanley? Duce Staley?
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005   #26
Lucky

Quote:
Nobody knows if they will get better.
Nobody "knows" anything about the future. If they did, they'd start their own psychic hotline. But if you plotted out the Texans record vs. years as a linear line:

y(Years) = m(slope of line)X(Win %)

Year 4 = 6.22 x (Win %)

Year 4 Win % = 64%

64% x 16 games = 10 wins!

Now does that mean it's going to happen, or more likely to happen. No. But, its an equally valid argument to "The Texans won't win next year because they lost to the Browns."

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read