Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-01-2007   #1
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected
Default cc brown is a free safety

apparantly thats what our staff is telling us. i mean everytime something happens and we think were gonna get a free safety and brown will move over it doesnt happen. and the coaches keep saying they are happy with his play there. ive never heard the coaches say we needed to move him all that talk comes from sports writers and right here. i think they are happy with him were he is and he will be our free safety for awhile.

very impressed with this coaching staff. things they do just make sense they go out and get the type player i assume they want and give up a player that plays in our deepest position. we should be improved.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007   #2
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: cc brown is a free safety

I think he is our FS only by elimination.....no one else on the team can play FS any better. IMO,that will be our achillies all season long. If nothing changes, we are going to give up some LLLooongggg TDs. I suspect that we will be pretty stout against the run though.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he is really a NFL reserve caliber player. I wasn't impressed with him at SS vs the Cowboys and he is supposedly better suited for SS than FS...but I agree with edo...he may just be a good back up forced to start. By this time next year I can see a tandem of Boulware and Harrison starting with Earl and Brown giving the team quality reserves at the Safety.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007   #4
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Vinny, Harrison will miss the whole 07 season, so basically he will be a rookie next season. Do you think he'll actually start next year? I didn't see much of him this pre-season so I don't know what to say about his play, maybe I miss something....
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
Vinny, Harrison will miss the whole 07 season, so basically he will be a rookie next season. Do you think he'll actually start next year? I didn't see much of him this pre-season so I don't know what to say about his play, maybe I miss something....
I figured we drafted him as a guy to groom at FS....we could get someone else between now and then and he could turn into Bennie Joppru II, but I think that the more I see of Brown the more convinced I am that he is a better reserve than he is a starter.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007   #6
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
I pretty much agree with Vinny on C.C. . Harrison was behind from the begining. He started late because of his graduation date at Stanford and he never made up the ground he missed. So what are we talking about here ? A sixeth round salary sittng for a year so he can hit the ground running in '08 ? I see no down side in that.

Agreed Markbeth somebody loves C.C. Brown. And as you post they are the experts when judging the delevopement of tallent. However, if this guy ever knocks on the pro bowl with his tallent no one will be more shocked than me. He's stiff, he dosen't have any ball skills and he bites way to often on the play fake. Now if someone on the staff believes that he's going to have an epiphany this season, OK. As far as I'm concerned, we still do not have a FS on the roster. And unless Jesus mircles C.C. some new found tallent, every time he gets locked one on one with a top flight NFL speed guy, he's toast.
Old 09-01-2007   #7
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

i know from what i see and what i hear from u guys hes not all that great.
maybe they just havent had the opportunity to replace him. they just always seem like they are satisfied with his play.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-01-2007   #8
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
i know from what i see and what i hear from u guys hes not all that great.
maybe they just havent had the opportunity to replace him. they just always seem like they are satisfied with his play.
That's the way I'm taking it. They had only so much cap room and only so many draft choices. When they switched defenses, a few of us knew it was going to take more than two drafts to make the switch over. So we're down to one off season and jugding by our guru GM wheeler dealer, we're in prety good shape. Not perfect but enough of an up grade if the balls bounce the correct way, we can be more than spoilers this year. I think that is a prety remarkable personel job after two off seasons.
Old 09-02-2007   #9
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

I know I've said this before, but I think I am seeing something that you guys just aren't. Since Kubiak and Smith have been here we have not made one move to field a legitimate FS. With the opportunity to draft Landry or Nelson and the opportunity to start Hutchins or McCleon, 4 players who could play a legitimate centerfield, I think Smith and Kubiak are making the statement that they like two hard-nosed safties out there who lack in coverage as opposed to sacrificing physicality for coverage. The Wesley rumors and now the Boulware trade do nothing but encourage this thinking.

I would love to have a true FS in our secondary, but until I am proven wrong I am not going to hold my breath. In fact, I would be more willing to bet that we go after a shut down corner via FA or the draft before we go for a FS (and that would make the apparent plan at the safety position much more viable.)
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007   #10
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135371 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
In fact, I would be more willing to bet that we go after a shut down corner via FA or the draft before we go for a FS (and that would make the apparent plan at the safety position much more viable.)
You get a shutdown corner, and you don't need a ball-hawking free safety as much.

Interesting thinking.
Old 09-02-2007   #11
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
You get a shutdown corner, and you don't need a ball-hawking free safety as much.

Interesting thinking.
And I would guess that you would shut the play down sooner and closer to the LOS than a FS play would. Makes some sense, but still leaves the long ball in play.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read