Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 08-29-2007   #1
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected
Default KEYE no longer 'official home of the Texans'

...for preseason or otherwise. Below where the red arrow is is where they used to have 'official preseason home of the Houston Texans (which last year before we all started raising hell actually said 'official home of the Houston Texans'.)

Here's a screencap I just pulled from www.keyetv.com/sports

I can say with 100% certainty that this is a result of THIS BOARD bombarding them with emails, and attention getting back to the Texans front office who placed a phone call to KEYE and came down on them for it.

However - now I'm starting to worry that the Texans might threaten KEYE with 'show all our games or none of them at all', which would be bad for us in Austin, and continue to stunt the growth of the fan base. Hopefully the two sides (three sides if you count us fans) can come up with something that is in the best interest of Texan fans... let's keep up the pressure and post any updates as they come!

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #2
sept8-1910
Rookie

Default Re: KEYE no longer 'official home of the Texans'

One of the problems we have is that Allison Smith works for the Cowboys, they have an obvious conflict of interest.

I live in Austin and have DirecTV, but I do support the cause of getting KEYE straightened out. It is hard to build fan support in a community if the community can't watch the games.

Go Texans
sept8-1910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #3
BeerTastesLikeVictory
Custom Title

Rep Power: 38908 BeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respected

Isn't keye a CBS affiliate, and if so, I thought CBS affiliates had to show AFC games, and FOX for NFC? If thats the case I would think the Titans would pose more of a threat than the Cowboys. At least I believe that was the case last year.

*Sig by False Start*
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
-David Daye
BeerTastesLikeVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #4
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerTastesLikeVictory View Post
Isn't keye a CBS affiliate, and if so, I thought CBS affiliates had to show AFC games, and FOX for NFC? If thats the case I would think the Titans would pose more of a threat than the Cowboys. At least I believe that was the case last year.
Not for preseason games. They can show what ever they want.
Old 08-29-2007   #5
sept8-1910
Rookie

You are correct, they will show Titans games in the regular season, Cowboys games in the preseason. But with a Cowboys bias in the Sports department, don't expect them to hype or follow the Texans anytime soon. Cowboy fans don't like us much.
Old 08-29-2007   #6
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sept8-1910 View Post
Cowboy fans don't like us much.
Music to my ears cause I HATE those SonsOBs!!!!!!!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #7
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Does ABC in houston show the pre-season games?
Sponsored links
Old 08-29-2007   #8
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1346 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You are correct, they will show Titans games in the regular season, Cowboys games in the preseason. But with a Cowboys bias in the Sports department, don't expect them to hype or follow the Texans anytime soon. Cowboy fans don't like us much.

You might want to call the NFL in New York City. How did KEYE get out of the NFL Territorial Restrictions and get to show Titans games?

This is unusual to say the least.
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #9
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Does ABC in houston show the pre-season games?
Yes!
Old 08-29-2007   #10
sept8-1910
Rookie

Here is what I have found, I guess they can do what they want unless we find a way to change their mind:

Quote:
Which games get shown in what particular markets are determined by the following factors: First, each home team's "primary media market," the market in which the team is physically located, must televise all of the away games involving the local team (a vestige of the days when only road games were shown), and all of the home games, provided that they are sold out at least 72 hours prior to kickoff (or else, they are subject to blackout, see below). In addition, the league also designates "secondary markets," media markets adjoining primary markets (generally penetrating within 75 miles of a stadium but not having their own team) that are also required to show the local team. Generally, these secondary markets must show the road games but are not obligated to show the designated team's home games. Their decision on whether to show home games typically depends on whether or not the NFL-designated local team is perceived to be the most popular in the market. In all other markets, the networks are the sole arbiters of what game gets shown where. However, they usually make their decisions after consulting with all of their local affiliates. In some rarer occasions, some affiliates are offered a choice of a few games for a given time-slot, if there is not one game that stands out as appropriate. In those cases, sometimes affiliates allow viewers to vote on which game will air.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_on_television

Last edited by sept8-1910; 08-29-2007 at 02:28 PM. Reason: fix URL
Old 08-29-2007   #11
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedc View Post
Yes!
Just got a wild hair and sent an email to the local ABC affiliate about having them as home of the Texans pre-season for next year. This has done be done far in advance so I thought why the hell not start the ball rolling in that direction.
Old 08-29-2007   #12
sept8-1910
Rookie

I did some more web crawling and found this email from Gary Vinson (KEYE Programming and Research Director) from last year:

http://longhornlaw.net/blog/archives/2006/11/12/1128/

It seems like the best thing we can do is show KEYE that Texans fans exist in Austin by emailing them, having watch parties at local bars and showing Texans pride in the Austin area.

Last edited by sept8-1910; 08-29-2007 at 02:27 PM. Reason: fix URL
Old 08-29-2007   #13
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Quote:
I did some more web crawling and found this email from Gary Vinson (KEYE Programming and Research Director) from last year:

http://longhornlaw.net/blog/archives/2006/11/12/1128/

It seems like the best thing we can do is show KEYE that Texans fans exist in Austin by emailing them, having watch parties at local bars and showing Texans pride in the Austin area.
Never mind it is working. By the way that is a canned response, Mr Vinson has sent that exact same letter to everyone.

We will be at thirdbase for KC come loud and proud.

I know a shirt designer I think. Hmmmmm

Last edited by Specnatz; 08-29-2007 at 03:06 PM.
Specnatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #14
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is the response I got from KEYE today...seems they are not even responding any more?
This is the Postfix program at host ns2.zope.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned
below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the message returned below.

The Postfix program

<keyetv@keyetv.com>: host mi8.com.mail5.psmtp.com[64.18.5.10] said: 550 5.1.1
User unknown (in reply to RCPT TO command)
Sent by Rick at Aug 29, 2007 6.51 pm

Phone:
City: Austin
Why does your station continue to show Titan games instead of Texan games? Please do not bother showing me the viewer stats from last year, I have seen them. It surprises me that your Programming Director fails to appreciate how his NFL programming choices served to exacerbate the very statistics which he uses to justify his programming choices.

Please, please, please support your local NFL team. It is downright despicable for a Texas TV station to support Bud Adams and the Titans INSTEAD OF a local Texas team.

Sincerely,
Rick

PS: Vince Young is no longer a shiny novelty, and the Texans now have a viable product on the field with the arrival of Matt Schaub at QB. I say again: please support your Texas NFL team.
/QUOTE
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #15
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyb View Post
Here is the response I got from KEYE today...seems they are not even responding any more?
This is the Postfix program at host ns2.zope.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned
below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the message returned below.

The Postfix program

<keyetv@keyetv.com>: host mi8.com.mail5.psmtp.com[64.18.5.10] said: 550 5.1.1
User unknown (in reply to RCPT TO command)
Sent by Rick at Aug 29, 2007 6.51 pm

Phone:
City: Austin
Why does your station continue to show Titan games instead of Texan games? Please do not bother showing me the viewer stats from last year, I have seen them. It surprises me that your Programming Director fails to appreciate how his NFL programming choices served to exacerbate the very statistics which he uses to justify his programming choices.

Please, please, please support your local NFL team. It is downright despicable for a Texas TV station to support Bud Adams and the Titans INSTEAD OF a local Texas team.

Sincerely,
Rick

PS: Vince Young is no longer a shiny novelty, and the Texans now have a viable product on the field with the arrival of Matt Schaub at QB. I say again: please support your Texas NFL team.
/QUOTE

The hell with that email Gary Vinson Directly

"Vinson, Gary A" gavinson@keyetv.com

But I am seriously working on other things.

Please be sure to show up on the 9th. I need everyone to show up.
Old 08-29-2007   #16
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll happily participate in flooding telephone lines/e-mail inboxes of KEYE and/or sponsors. And I can try my best not to be belligerent but I'll make no promises. Not broadcasting our season and home opener is unforgivable.

rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007   #17
Specnatz
Site Contributor

UPDATE:

I spoke with Missy Rentz yesterday on the phone. She is sorta new to the Texans has only been with them for about 6 months, but she is working hard at getting things worked out with radio and TV stations. San Antonio does have a radio station that broadcast the games but Austin does not as of yet. She said she is also working on doing some promotions in the area at some point but does not have anything specific as of yet. All they can do is put pressure on a station to show the games but it does look like we are on our own on that because of contracts of CBS having the AFC and since we are not with-in 75 miles of Reliant. But Ms Rentz said she will continue to work hard for us here in the Austin area.

This is the most I have ever gotten out of anyone that works with the Texans. I do not have any pull or know anyone with in the organization or anyone that could help put pressure on KEYE. Hopefully I can get past the stupid operators of Time Warner and get to someone besides some phone jockey. I swear customer service is dead and so is actual personel contact. It is if companies could careless if you are happy or not.

Oh by the way, the contract with KEYE to show pre-season games ends this year.
Old 08-30-2007   #18
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
UPDATE:
Hopefully I can get past the stupid operators of Time Warner and get to someone besides some phone jockey. I swear customer service is dead and so is actual personel contact. It is if companies could careless if you are happy or not.
Be sure to press "1" to hear the options in English.
Old 08-30-2007   #19
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Be sure to press "1" to hear the options in English.
Thanks Bill, I appreciate the help.

Oh and the press "1" thing is freakin lame.
Old 08-30-2007   #20
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Gee, Gary.

Thanks again for dashing the hopes of all Austin-area Houston Texans fans who hoped to actually
get to see their favorite team turn around and have a great season for a change. Instead, we get
a Cowboys preseason game and a bunch of Vince Young running around trying to avoid sacks as
he looks for his non-existent Wide Receivers and Running Backs and Offensive Line. At what point
will you realize that Vince Young is no longer a Longhorn and that the Titans arenít the Oilers anymore?

When Vince gets injured for the season, will you finally play Houston Texans games (the team actually
residing in Texas) or do I have to wait for the two games per year that Houston gets to humiliate the
Flaming Thumbtacks to get my Texans fix? I will remind you that this is the new Houston Texans team.

We just manhandled the Cowboys (yet you show Dallas tonight) and have the reigning Defensive Rookie
of the Year, DeMeco Ryans ready to tee off on the competition again.

Youíre going to respond with the same generic response youíve sent everyone else. If you donít televise
Texans games, youíre never going to generate a local fan base and eventually, youíll have to show Titans
games in a future in which Vince Young is no longer a Titan. If the UT honks want their Longhorn fix, thatís
what Saturdays are for. If they absolutely NEED a Longhorn on Sunday, I suggest they DVR the game from
Saturday OR check out Kasey Studdard, former Longhorn, current TexanÖblocking for Matt Schaub, the Cowboy
Killer.

I know this will fall on blind eyes and I donít expect you to change a thing because that would just lead to
disappointment when you donít change anything. I just want you to know that Houston Texan fans do exist
in Austin and the surrounding area and we donít all have those Nielson boxes on our TVís.

Karl A. Meyer

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read