Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-23-2007   #21
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans will beat the Chiefs and here is why:

I don't want to sound all doom and gloom, but before we go "counting our chickens before they hatch," we need to realize that what looks like a win on paper, doesn't necessarily mean a win on the field. I have seen it too many times where a team that is supposed win (on paper), comes in and "lays a fat goose egg" so to speak. Remember the saying, "on any given Sunday," means just that!

Having said that, I think the key to the game (and season) will be long sustained offensive drives for us to keep their offense off the field. If we can do that, especially for the first 3 quarters, I think it will keep the defense rested enough so they don't have a collapse in the 4th quarter, like we've seen a number of times in the past. I know our defense should be pretty good this year, but I think they'll be alot better (fresher/sharper) if the offense can stay on the field longer and score more points (see football 101). JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #22
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 89950 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I don't want to sound all doom and gloom, but before we go "counting our chickens before they hatch," we need to realize that what looks like a win on paper, doesn't necessarily mean a win on the field. I have seen it too many times where a team that is supposed win (on paper), comes in and "lays a fat goose egg" so to speak. Remember the saying, "on any given Sunday," means just that!

Having said that, I think the key to the game (and season) will be long sustained offensive drives for us to keep their offense off the field. If we can do that, especially for the first 3 quarters, I think it will keep the defense rested enough so they don't have a collapse in the 4th quarter, like we've seen a number of times in the past. I know our defense should be pretty good this year, but I think they'll be alot better (fresher/sharper) if the offense can stay on the field longer and score more points (see football 101). JMHO!

Yep, just like everyone has a big fat W on the calendar when they see the Texans on there.

Not for long.
Old 08-23-2007   #23
bayshorebevo
Veteran

http://www.kansascity.com/692/story/241793.html

Larry's going to do plenty of damage. Our defensive line that has been such a topic recently is going to get a workout against the run. Our offense will be getting their toes wet so it will be up to the defense to keep the scoring down.
bayshorebevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought Texans had done ok historically against "name" running backs?
Old 08-23-2007   #25
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
The Texans defense strikes fear in no one except for their fans.

Signed,
Mark Brunell
totally fierce quarterback
Post of the day, at 9 am even!
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #26
ensign_lee
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 468 ensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I'm pretty sure in primetime vs. the Chiefs last time, LJ destroyed us...and destroyed us ridiculously
ensign_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #27
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 192005 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Uh... I can think of some name RB's that have ripped us to shreds.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #28
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 75780 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

The other reason the Texans might beat the Chiefs is that the Texans are 1 -0 on opening day vs teams that have had their training camp as a reality show on HBO.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #29
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Shaun Alexander had a field day with the Texans, too. Of course, this was back in aught-five...

I've been getting extra Chiefs attention due to the HBO series. It looks to me like they are having quarterback trouble more than anything else. Not having Jared Allen will be a major impact to their defense, IMO. Like if the Texans lost Demeco or Dunta.

I think their offensive line has really improved. They brought in Turley (Hurley?), and he seems to be doing a good job. IIRC, there was a shot from their play-off game where I-65 was blown up by a Colts defender. Herm Edwards said they had gone a long way to fixing up that o-line. Is scares me that the same thing has been said of the Texans o-line, except that they hired the guy being blown up on that play.

Overall, I'd say the Texans have a 50/50 shot at them. The Chiefs will be without some of their biggest stars, and are rebuilding, as was stated earlier. Obstacles will be stopping Tony Gonzales, pass rush and winning turnovers, and runnign the ball well.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #30
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
The other reason the Texans might beat the Chiefs is that the Texans are 1 -0 on opening day vs teams that have had their training camp as a reality show on HBO.
That there is some impressive train spotting. And we all no stats don't lie!!
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #31
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Based on what I've heard about the Saints/Chiefs game, the odds sound better. Huard has had trouble getting going, and Croyle is very inconsistent. I am sure if he had Larry Johnson in the backfield, the mistakes would not be so obvious/common.
Old 08-24-2007   #32
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Damon Huard or Brodie Croyle starting doesn't exactly strike fear in opposing defenses.
with our defensive backfield, i worry.
Old 08-24-2007   #33
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's how the Texans will beat the Chiefs:

End of first quarter - Texans down 10-0
End of second quarter - Texans down 20-3

Halftime - TexanSam wins fan lotto, gets to be the emergency 54th player on the roster. Suits up immediately and is placed as the 7th WR going into the 3rd quarter

3rd quarter - Coach Kubiak decides TexanSam can play since he can't do much worse than any of our other wide receivers except AJ. TexanSam becomes Schaub's go to target, catches 12 balls for 150 yards and two TDs in one quarter. He also fills in for Jason Simmons at safety and intercepts two passes in the end zone.

End of 3rd quarter Chiefs 20, Texans 17

4th quarter - TexanSam is triple teamed and is unable to make big plays. Neither offense can do anything. Kris Brown injures hamstring on training bike, TexanSam immediately fills in as emergency kicker. TexanSam kicks NFL record 63 yard field goal to tie the game and send it to overtime.

Overtime - Texans win the toss and TexanSam returns the kick to the 50 yard line. TexanSam lines up at QB for a trick play and shows Van Pelt how it's done. He completes a 50 yard pass to himself to throw and catch the winning TD. Cheerleaders give me their phone numbers.

I can't wait!

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #34
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

keep the dream alive.
Old 08-24-2007   #35
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Halftime - TexanSam wins fan lotto, gets to be the emergency 54th player on the roster. Suits up immediately and is placed as the 7th WR going into the 3rd quarter

3rd quarter - Coach Kubiak decides TexanSam can play since he can't do much worse than any of our other wide receivers except AJ. TexanSam becomes Schaub's go to target, catches 12 balls for 150 yards and two TDs in one quarter. He also fills in for Jason Simmons at safety and intercepts two passes in the end zone.

4th quarter - TexanSam is triple teamed and is unable to make big plays. Neither offense can do anything. Kris Brown injures hamstring on training bike, TexanSam immediately fills in as emergency kicker. TexanSam kicks NFL record 63 yard field goal to tie the game and send it to overtime.

Overtime - Texans win the toss and TexanSam returns the kick to the 50 yard line. TexanSam lines up at QB for a trick play and shows Van Pelt how it's done. He completes a 50 yard pass to himself to throw and catch the winning TD. Cheerleaders give me their phone numbers.

I can't wait!
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #36
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 103457 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

M.Bennet is looking fairly good. (KC vs NO is on NFLN right now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #37
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I can't wait!
That's all you got. NO tackles, NO assists on tackles, NO sacks, NO forced fumbles, NO Fumble recoveries...dude you suck about as much as Mario

Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007   #38
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

It seems Huard got the nod ahead of Brodie.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/traini...ory?id=2991036
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007   #39
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Huard named Chiefs' starting QB

Quote:
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Damon Huard, a career backup who played well in relief last season, was named starting quarterback Saturday for the Kansas City Chiefs.

Huard, 34, went 5-and-3 last season after Trent Green was injured in the season opener. He had been battling second-year quarterback Brodie Croyle for the job after Green was traded to Miami.

Croyle, 24, apparently played himself out of contention by throwing an interception in each of three preseason games. Huard, because of a sore calf muscle, did not play in the Chiefs preseason loss Thursday against the Saints.

The Chiefs regular season opener is Sept. 9 against the Texans in Houston.
link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true

Should we be scared? He hasn't looked too sharp in the pre-season, but with 8 starts last year, he threw for 1800+ yards with 11td and 1 int on 60% completion. Hope last year was a fluke.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007   #40
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Huard seems to still be shaking the rust off, as opposed to Brodie who is working towards his form. I'm not sure the Texans will be more threatened by one or the other.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read