Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-19-2007   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243112 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Is Mario Wearing Blinders?

Looking at game film, it appears to me that Mario seldom was looking where the ball may be........He was usually looking down, to the outside or straight up in the air. He seldom appeared to be aware of where the play and, therefore, where the ball was at any point in time.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #2
Busa_Bill
Rookie

Default Re: Is Mario Wearing Blinders?

+1

Very obvious on many downs he was not aware of where the ball was. It did not seem he was watching most of the time for where the play was going.
Busa_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #3
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Looking at game film, it appears to me that Mario seldom was looking where the ball may be........He was usually looking down, to the outside or straight up in the air. He seldom appeared to be aware of where the play and, therefore, where the ball was at any point in time.
That is what makes it seem as though he is thinking to much ! It appears he looks down watching his feet anf that of the O Line man trying to think his way through. I have seen several people post saying they think Mario is lazy. I dont think he is lazy I think he is lost! I dont know if its his fault or if the coach's have his head swimming from moving him around last year, and trying to give him to much to work on this year. I wont make excuses for him but it sure looks like he is thinking way to much.

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

he has very little football instinct, just like a first overall pick we made back in 2002. They both look fantastic in shorts though.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #5
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 145735 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yep, I'm as big a Mario supporter as there is out there and I was REALLY disappointed this week.

- I understand he's still adjusting to the NFL game.
- I understand he's still recovering from injury.
- I understand it's still pre-season.
- I understand that our D-Line is still a work-in-progress

but...

I expect to see at least "Flashes" of brilliance. When I can name 3 players on the line who looked as good or better than MW, we have a problem. I'm not saying it can't be solved. I'm not saying that Mario can't "step it up" once the Regular Season starts. I was hoping that Mario didn't need the coaches scolding him to keep himself 'inspired'. If that's what it takes...even for a #1 overall...even for the highest-rated defender in his draft...then DO IT! Ride him all-day, every day until he gets tired enough of the criticism to do something about it.
Old 08-19-2007   #6
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27427 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I was thinking the same thing. He just doesn't seem to know where the ball is. He seemed to have more success last year playing on the left side. Could it be he needs to be moved back? Matching our best against their best isn't necessarily the right move. One of Mario's greatest strengths is his quickness. That just happens to be one of the major strengths of the better LT's in the league. Why not line him up against the (usually) slower RT?

With the early improvement from Babin, I'm starting to believe that he could better deal with the quicker RT's than Mario. The Freeney's & Taylor's of the league have done very well on the right side & they've got similar size. So, I'm thinking Babin could have the same type of success.

I also noticed that Arizona ran a lot of plays to the right side of our defense last night. I'm assuming they were trying to exploit Okoye's inexperience at RT. But, as soon as teams look at tape & realize that Mario isn't seeing the ball, they'll start running wide & we'll have to depend upon the LB's & CB's to make the tackles.

Just move him to the left side & let's play some football.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #7
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
he has very little football instinct, just like a first overall pick we made back in 2002. They both look fantastic in shorts though.
I agree, Kubiak even addressed that in his press conference. He said Mario needs to learn more about down and distance so he knows when to play the run and when to pin his ears back and go. I would have hoped a first overall pick whould have thoise kind of skills but instead I guess I am left hoping he can learn them.

Support our troops
Sponsored links
Old 08-19-2007   #8
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

The story I am telling myself is that because of his obvious physical advantages in lower levels of football he never had to learn basics and fundamentals.

Now he has to go through the hard work of learning to be a football player rather than an athlete. That is why he gets criticised for counting his steps etc, he is trying to learn technique etc when he should be doing things by instinct at this stage.
Old 08-19-2007   #9
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
The story I am telling myself is that because of his obvious physical advantages in lower levels of football he never had to learn basics and fundamentals.

Now he has to go through the hard work of learning to be a football player rather than an athlete. That is why he gets criticised for counting his steps etc, he is trying to learn technique etc when he should be doing things by instinct at this stage.
ehhh....that's a little far fetched....

If a guy is on the field counting his steps I'd consider that borderline remedial....
Old 08-19-2007   #10
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

ND Kalu was saying that he has called Mario out for doing that rather than letting his instincts guide him.

(don't have a link for it, probably in one of the other countless Mario threads)
Old 08-19-2007   #11
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
ND Kalu was saying that he has called Mario out for doing that rather than letting his instincts guide him.

(don't have a link for it, probably in one of the other countless Mario threads)
"I looked over the other day and Mario was counting his steps before making a move," Kalu said. "He's got 20 different people in his ear, and sometimes you have to say, 'Screw the coaches, screw the technique.'"

Here is the link for Kalu saying Mario ws counting his steps.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/traini...att&id=2978578

Support our troops
Old 08-20-2007   #12
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
ummmmm..........
Old 08-20-2007   #13
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 7167 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
omg not another Carr thread.

TexansLucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read