Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk" Rival fans & lighthearted smack talk. Keep it light and leave the mean spirited stuff at home please.

Old 08-18-2007   #1
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 100129 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Interesting SI Article on VY

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...nts/index.html

Quote:
He completed only 51.5 percent as a rookie, and a source within the league told me recently that one reason the Titans don't really need great receivers on their roster is because Young can't be counted on to put the ball in their hands anyway.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007   #2
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Interesting SI Article on VY

I think this season is going to be a rude awakening for the Golden Boy. Opposing Defensive Coordinators now know what to expect from him and will have better plans to expose his an his team's weaknesses.
Old 08-18-2007   #3
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 100129 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

As much as I loved this guy at UT, I would be lying if I denied that I was rooting for him to fail. Besides playing for the team I hate the most, I am sick and tired of all the VY Titan hype here in Austin. Friends of mine who were rooting for the Texans before now hate the Texans and are now rooting for the Titans. One of them just bought NFL Sunday Ticket just to see them every week. However that may not be necessary since CBS affiliate here started showing the Titans in lieu of the Texans last season. I also noticed our local Wal Mart is carrying Titans crap and they have NEVER carried Texans merchandise. VY stinking it up would put an end to most of this.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

well, he had better stats than John Elway in his rookie year (47.5% completions 7TD's and 14 INT's)....so I don't think that Elway had such a bad career. People make way too much out of stat lines (especially rookie QB stat lines), and don't watch enough real football for their opinions.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/ElwaJo00.htm

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007   #5
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
well, he had better stats than John Elway in his rookie year (47.5% completions 7TD's and 14 INT's)....so I don't think that Elway had such a bad career. People make way too much out of stat lines (especially rookie QB stat lines), and don't watch enough real football for their opinions.

Oh, I watched some of his games and I was unimpressed.
Old 08-18-2007   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
Oh, I watched some of his games and I was unimpressed.
yeah...but all of us know you only do biased homer takes.

Old 08-18-2007   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
People make way too much out of stat lines (especially rookie QB stat lines), and don't watch enough real football for their opinions.
Maybe so, but he had a rough outing against NE. He wouldn't have had a stat line but for Scaife going on an 80 yd scamper after a 3 yd pass.
Old 08-18-2007   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Maybe so, but he had a rough outing against NE. He wouldn't have had a stat line but for Scaife going on an 80 yd scamper after a 3 yd pass.
yeah but constantly going on and on about rookie stats that were better than John Elways stats gets old to those of us who follow football closely and historically.

Old 08-18-2007   #9
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yeah but constantly going on and on about rookie stats that were better than John Elways stats gets old to those of us who follow football closely and historically.
Here's an observation that requires no stats whatsoever. Once VY loses his speed, he will be at best a second rate QB in this league.

If he wants to be a career QB, he needs to work on his throwing. I doubt even you can argue with that.
TexansLucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216706 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Vinny, the difference is that Elway was an accomplished passer in college who didn't really show the stuff he already had in the NFL until later.

Quote:
In his four seasons (19791982) at Stanford, he completed 774 passes for 9,349 yards and 77 touchdowns. Stanford had a 20-23 record during his tenure. His 24 touchdown passes in 1982 led the nation, and he graduated with nearly every Stanford and Pacific-10 career record for passing and total offense.
Elway
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
All I was trying to say was he didn't look very good yesterday.

Yes off the wall comparisons can get off the wall. There is too much history in the NFL--you can always find some goofy comparison.

Oh and I don't think VY has earned the right to have his name in the same sentence as Elway's yet.
Old 08-18-2007   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

eh...cloak, VY had some pretty impressive stats his last year at UT....you may want to look them up. anyway...I need to go make some tea or something.

Old 08-18-2007   #13
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Quote:
yeah...but all of us know you only do biased homer takes.
I am not a . I just don't think Vince Young is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I guess in your book that makes me a .
Old 08-19-2007   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
I am not a . I just don't think Vince Young is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I guess in your book that makes me a .
my perception of you probably rests more in the several years of you trying to tell us David Carr was a stud despite all the evidence to the contrary.

there are worse things than being a homer...so don't take it so hard.

Old 08-19-2007   #15
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 28177 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

But according to his coach it was the field that was wet, the weather, people in his face.

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/stor...o&confirm=true
Old 08-19-2007   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216706 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams View Post
But according to his coach it was the field that was wet, the weather, people in his face.

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/stor...o&confirm=true

.............and he had a wet diaper.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #17
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Whatever the Pats have done to vince in their last two games, you bet will be studied by other teams around the league. They pretty much shut him down as far as being a running threat and forced him to throw.

The titan fans who do watch every game of his are pretty unanimous that he needs to work on his passing accuracy. Is that just a rookie thing or is it more of an arm mechanics/delivery problem? Only time will tell.
Old 08-19-2007   #18
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Quote:
my perception of you probably rests more in the several years of you trying to tell us David Carr was a stud despite all the evidence to the contrary.

there are worse things than being a homer...so don't take it so hard.
I never used the word stud to describe David Carr, but I admittedly was slow to criticize him and attributed more of the offense's trouble to the O-Line then you did.
Old 08-19-2007   #19
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Brady didn't look to good either. Maybe he's on the downside of his career too.
Old 08-19-2007   #20
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1346 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
Here's an observation that requires no stats whatsoever. Once VY loses his speed, he will be at best a second rate QB in this league.
Vince better get his slide move down... Someone will nail him HARD this season.

You are right, you take out his wheels and Vince is a journeyman QB
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read