Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 08-11-2007   #1
whiskeyrbl

Default Working with NON-Texan fans

Yesterday started out brutal. My General Foreman (Cowgirl Fan) walked up and sarcastically asked who won the Dallas game. After about 8 guys in my crew starting gloating over the astounding victory over the Super Bowl Champs, he then said if you want a good laugh the Texans played Saturday. Well it was on then. I told them how impessively they handled the 2,3,and 4th stringers and they ought to be proud.Then I was made aware of a "Stupid Draft" move we made last year for someone nobody had ever heard of. Now who's stupid? After about 30 minutes of Texan bashing, I started laying down some facts alot from what I have read here.By the end of the conversation they were all saying that they agree the Texans will be better than years past. I'm not sure if it was the things I pointed out, or when I asked when was the last time they made the playoffs( which by the way I answered for them) that changed their tone. Either way Dallas fans still suck like their team.
Old 08-11-2007   #2
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Working with NON-Texan fans

Were they really braggin about a pre-season game

Next time let them brag about a pre-season game. If we go 0-4 in preaseason let them get on you about that. When people brag about preseason I say two words "It's Pre-season."

The Raiders went 4-0 in pre-season last year...
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007   #3
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 32405 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
Yesterday started out brutal. My General Foreman (Cowgirl Fan) walked up and sarcastically asked who won the Dallas game. After about 8 guys in my crew starting gloating over the astounding victory over the Super Bowl Champs, he then said if you want a good laugh the Texans played Saturday. Well it was on then. I told them how impessively they handled the 2,3,and 4th stringers and they ought to be proud.Then I was made aware of a "Stupid Draft" move we made last year for someone nobody had ever heard of. Now who's stupid? After about 30 minutes of Texan bashing, I started laying down some facts alot from what I have read here.By the end of the conversation they were all saying that they agree the Texans will be better than years past. I'm not sure if it was the things I pointed out, or when I asked when was the last time they made the playoffs( which by the way I answered for them) that changed their tone. Either way Dallas fans still suck like their team.
I being in Cowboys/Broncos/Chiefs country myself, can relate to this story. I'll let our good buddy speak for me though...

I feel your pain.
Old 08-11-2007   #4
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 258627 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

If there is one thing that that just DRIVES ME CRAZY, is the Cowgirl fans at work.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne

Last edited by Thorn; 08-11-2007 at 07:27 AM.
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007   #5
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

They (cowgirls) have themselves in a funny situation with Romo and his contract talks. My perfect scenario for them is that they sign him to a huge contract, and then he starts to show his true lack of talent as he did late last season.

Oh yeah, I hope Mr. McNair can get his/our team to the 2011 Super Bowl being played in jerry jones' new stadium. Now that would be justice served!
Old 08-11-2007   #6
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
They (cowgirls) have themselves in a funny situation with Romo and his contract talks. My perfect scenario for them is that they sign him to a huge contract, and then he starts to show his true lack of talent as he did late last season.

Oh yeah, I hope Mr. McNair can get his/our team to the 2011 Super Bowl being played in jerry jones' new stadium. Now that would be justice served!
I don't know if the Tacks are hosting a SuperBowl anytime soon.
But true justice would be winning the Super Bowl in Bud's stadium.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007   #7
gwallaia

Rep Power: 73392 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

We had a Cowboy fan that used to work in my office, I fired him.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-11-2007   #8
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
You made me spill my coffee
Old 08-11-2007   #9
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Classic!

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007   #10
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Working with NON-Texan fans

I think I am the ONLY Texans fan at law school. Then again, there aren't that many sports fans. Mostly Cowboys and Saints, as would be exoected.

WAAAAY too many Longhorns.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007   #11
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

There's a bug in this board. Sometimes when you edit and save, it saves it as a new post instead of editing the original.

Last edited by aj.; 08-11-2007 at 10:00 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007   #12
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

A few years ago, a Saints fan sighting west of Lafayette would be a rarity. Funny how that works.

The last time I saw more than one Saints jersey in the same place at the same time (othher than the Superdome) was in '81 when Bum brought the Saints to the Dome. I imagine it will be like that again this year because of alll the 'new' Saints fans.

I've always liked the Saints and pulled for them when we didn't have the NFL for those five years - but having lived in Houston most of my life, I would never have considered sporting their gear or running smack about 'we' this or that, especially when I have no other affiliation with the team or the area. Went to several games over there just to get my fix.

Win and everyone's a die hard. Lose and you can't find them. Bandwagons happen.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007   #13
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 106570 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

My step dad grew up a Vikings fan and when I was 7(1977) I remember going into a payless shoe store and they had a gray t-shirt with a cowboys helmet on the front of it. I asked my mom if she would get it for me, she did.. funny thing is the first time I wore it, I thought my step-dad would not like it, so I was nervous to wear it in front of him (thinking he'd trash it being he was a vikings fan). Well I wore it. Dad never said anything to me I laugh at my insecurity then.(I still like the Cowboys and vikings(#2 and #3 in my book)

within a year the Cowboys became #2 team(being I always wanted Texas teams to do good against the rest of the country) and Oilers became #1 in my heart quickly...And I owe that to one person that as a young kid, just awe'd me. No telling if I would be like some of the "arrogant" Cowboy fans that we see(not all are) if it weren't for this legend

He singlehanded me changed me to a #1 diehard oiler fan along with the fans that I watched on TV in the "luv ya blue" era. Houston and football has been #1 in my mind. When Houston left for Tennessee I watched Tennessee just because it still had old houston players on it Mathews,McNair,George etc,etc..

but in 2002, Tennessee was basically dead to me when a new sheriff came into town and the Texans were born
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007   #14
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 106570 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

thanks #34! because who would have known what I would have become as a fan but as it is Texans still #1,Cowboys moved to #2 and Vikings #3
BTW, to this day I still hate the Steelers with jags now a very close 2nd

I don't don't if they still do this in school, but I remember the R.I.F. program(reading is fundamental) where they would allow children to get a free book....I about ran to this book before any other kid got it.mine was the story of the Tyler Rose and his history of growing up in a small house and becoming a Houston Oiler.

Last edited by Wolf; 08-11-2007 at 10:38 AM.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007   #15
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 221570 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Its a wonder he didn't sue you. Discrimination against those challenged with no sports taste is illegal isn't it?
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007   #16
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

TexansLucky13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007   #17
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

I too, still hate the Steelers. I don't think that will ever change. I remember eating Luv Ya Blue ice cream and drinking Snake Venom soda as a kid. I used to imitate Earl Campbell when we would play football in our neighbor's side yard. Those were great times and are treasured memories. To this day, I can't watch the footage of Bum Phillips "Kickin' in the Door" speech without tears. That kind of connection of city with a team is what is missing so far with the Texans and when that happens the rest of the NFL better watch out because Reliant Stadium will be electric.

Old 08-11-2007   #18
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 128458 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
A few years ago, a Saints fan sighting west of Lafayette would be a rarity. Funny how that works.

The last time I saw more than one Saints jersey in the same place at the same time (othher than the Superdome) was in '81 when Bum brought the Saints to the Dome. I imagine it will be like that again this year because of alll the 'new' Saints fans.

I've always liked the Saints and pulled for them when we didn't have the NFL for those five years - but having lived in Houston most of my life, I would never have considered sporting their gear or running smack about 'we' this or that, especially when I have no other affiliation with the team or the area. Went to several games over there just to get my fix.

Win and everyone's a die hard. Lose and you can't find them. Bandwagons happen.

Is it bandwagon, or the fact that they moved half of New Orleans to Houston?
Old 08-11-2007   #19
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Is it bandwagon, or the fact that they moved half of New Orleans to Houston?
Good point.

I can see how some Cowboy fans are a holes but I have decided that I will not hate on the Cowboys/fans. As long as they show me respect it will be like wise from me.

Go Texans.

At least I do not work at a company that has it's headquarters based in Dallas anymore.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007   #20
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I can handle a cowgirl fan IF and only IF they are one of the following:

A. from Dallas (I understand having hometown loyalty....duh.)
B. know alot about the team because they are a true fan. (It's fine to like whoever you want from wherever you like but I can't stand bandwagoners).

What I can't stand are all the stupid fans who don't one thing about their "team" and are so obnixious they know why my team sucks....give me a freakin' break.

Everytime I talk to cowgirl fan at work and they start going on about their team. I ask them to name 5 players on their team and they can't. If they come close I ask them to name 3 lineman on either side of the ball. And they get a glazed over look.....and that's what I thought.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read