Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 08-05-2007   #1
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected
Default My First FFB Team of the season

I am not sure if I am in the right forum. If not, mods please feel free to move it.

I just completed my first FFB draft of the season and wanted to hear yalls thoughts. League is a standard league with usual configerations.
(1 qb, 3 wr, 2 RB, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 D)
here is my team;

QBs: Drew Brees, Phillp Rivers, Matt Schaub
WRs: AJ, Calvin Johnson, Galloway, Devin Hester
RBs: LT, M. Jones-Drew, Ahman Green, Vernand Morency, Kevin Jones
TE: Heath Miller
K: Jason Elam
D: Pitt

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007   #2
Old School
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 876 Old School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Old School Send a message via Skype™ to Old School
Default Re: My First FFB Team of the season

I am not overly experienced myself since I just started playing last year but it looks like an excellent draft. From my experience last year I would get rid of Vernand Morency unless you have major bye week conflicts with your RB corp. Even then, you could probably pick up someone for a week if you need to. Get rid of Morency and get another WR.
Just my
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007   #3
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
I am not overly experienced myself since I just started playing last year but it looks like an excellent draft. From my experience last year I would get rid of Vernand Morency unless you have major bye week conflicts with your RB corp. Even then, you could probably pick up someone for a week if you need to. Get rid of Morency and get another WR.
Just my
Thanks for the assessment!
Yeah, the plan was to load up on extra backs and use them as possible trade bait. The initial plan was to have LT and M Jones Drew as my starters and use Green as my bye week replacement/injuryt replacement. I figured I could use Kevin Jones and Morency as trade bait as both are their teams starters.

-awtysst on 4/28/2011
Old 08-05-2007   #4
awtysst
Draft Guru

Anyone else have any thoughts?

-awtysst on 4/28/2011
Old 08-06-2007   #5
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Anyone else have any thoughts?
How many teams in your league? I'd say you have a solid to excellent team for a 12 team league, but probably average for 10 or even 8 teams...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #6
awtysst
Draft Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
How many teams in your league? I'd say you have a solid to excellent team for a 12 team league, but probably average for 10 or even 8 teams...
12 teams in yahoo. I saw some really bizzare draft strategy. For example, Steve Smith and Carson Palmer were taken in the first round, and TO was the first pick of the second round.

-awtysst on 4/28/2011
Old 08-06-2007   #7
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
12 teams in yahoo. I saw some really bizzare draft strategy. For example, Steve Smith and Carson Palmer were taken in the first round, and TO was the first pick of the second round.
I'm not big into fantasy football but why not take Palmer or Smith in the first round?

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-06-2007   #8
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 59912 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

You're a bigger than I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #9
jdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 17 jdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden cover

It looks like you have a solid team. LT alone can win it for you.

I started a yahoo league which is having a live draft on September 3rd. It's going to have individual defensive players too. I tried to make it as close to real football as possible with roster spots and scoring.

Join up if you're interested.

http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/league/profoosball

I don't know if it's okay to plug my league here or not, but if it's not okay, I'm sorry.
jdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #10
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am not sure if I am in the right forum. If not, mods please feel free to move it.

I just completed my first FFB draft of the season and wanted to hear yalls thoughts. League is a standard league with usual configerations.
(1 qb, 3 wr, 2 RB, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 D)
here is my team;

QBs: Drew Brees, Phillp Rivers, Matt Schaub
WRs: AJ, Calvin Johnson, Galloway, Devin Hester
RBs: LT, M. Jones-Drew, Ahman Green, Vernand Morency, Kevin Jones
TE: Heath Miller
K: Jason Elam
D: Pitt
I'm assuming you are looking for feedback, since you posted. In short: solid, solid team. Your success begins at RB. LT, Drew, and Green. Personally, if Brandon Jackson if still on your waiver wire, you may want to drop Kev Jones and pick up Jackson to handcuff Morency.

QB. Set.
TE, K, D --- unless you are talking CHI or BAL, or Gates, it does not matter.

About the only weakness I see is WR. I doubt Hester sees any more than 3-5 plays at WR/game. That's plays. Not touches. I base this solely on what I have seen for other both-side-of-the-ball players, and readily acknowledge that Hester is a supreme talent. That said, that's an awfully expensive fantasy roster slot. Who's on the WR waiver wire? Nice roll of the dice on C Johnson.

Good luck. Congrats. Nice team.

Rick
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #11
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I'm not big into fantasy football but why not take Palmer or Smith in the first round?
A couple of reasons.

1. Opportunity cost. The theory says that the premium placed on limited top-tier RB talent outweighs that at WR, or even QB (yes, even Peyton). To prove this to yourself, try a couple of free mock drafts online -- The Sporting News is a good way to go. Takes about 15-20 minutes per total mock draft. Pick Peyton in round 1 in one of them, and then try to solve your RB problem. In the other pick a top-notch RB in round 1, and do whatever it is you do the rest of way. Compare the teams.

Personally, I subscribe to this theory. I'd rather have 2 solid RBs than a solid RB and then a WR. Check out the EA Sports Texans Fantasy Football Draft thread over in the Texans Tailgate, to see our current fantasy draft. Look at Hutto Karl's 1st 2 round draft choices -- Rudi Johnson and then Willie Parker. Then look at the rest of his team thus far. It kinda proves the point about going RB early. His team is stacked. (HK- if you are reading, I'm still going to give you a good ol' fashioned country whuppin'.)

2. Now, all of that said, point #1 is diminished somewhat if QB TD's count the same as that of position players. ie, 6 points. Then, you may want to think about a QB in round 2. IMHO

I guess I'd like to close with this thought: everyone has their own ideas about what makes a great fantasy football draft strategy. It's what sells the mags, I suppose. Anyway, these are simply my thoughts, and I make no pretense that these are the end-all, be-all to draft strategy. However, my strategy has served me well over the years.

Anyway, I love fantasy football. Great fun, especially if you have a great crew of smashmouth trash-talking guys (and gals). Good luck.

Best,
Rick
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read