Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk" Rival fans & lighthearted smack talk. Keep it light and leave the mean spirited stuff at home please.

Old 07-28-2007   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default HPF:The Brat Pac

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/slant/slant79.html

Quote:
For all the Matt Schaub trading, Amobi Okoye drafting, and Rick Smith hiring the Texans did this winter, it was an altogether separate, non-Texan-initiated transaction that may ultimately do more for the 2007 Texans than Schaub, Okoye and Smith combined.

And that something was Pac-Man Jonesí year-long suspension from the Tennessee Titans.

Baby Vince received the lionís share of the credit last year for Tennesseeís 8-3 finish but a closer (read: less Vince-obsessed) inspection reveals Baby Vince was ESPNís Whoís Now to Pac-Manís ESPN, circa 1998. Blasphemy, I know, especially in these parts, where Baby Vince swims leisurely in a pool of oft-mentioned, but forever never-provable intangibles, soaking up hero status. But, letís be honest: his legend (in relation to his actual impact on the Titans) has been severely overblown. He finished 2006 with the 30th-best passer rating in football; his average yards per attempt ranked 31st. And the guy barely completed 50% of his passes (51.5%).

Oh, I know Ė wins are the only number that matter. And I agree. But a closer look at Tennesseeís 8 wins reveals decidedly non-Baby Vince markings.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: HPF:The Brat Pac

Quote:
What’s my point? It’s not that Baby Vince is overrated (though, he is); it’s that Pac-Man Jones was every bit as integral as Young to Tennessee’s remarkable finish. And you could make a solid case for Jones being more integral, given Baby Vince’s unremarkable numbers.
Quote:
Because lost in the ongoing Mario/Reggie/Baby Vince saga that all but swallowed the 2006 season was how much better this team was – six wins plus two losses on the game’s final play just a year removed from being the undoubtedly worst team in football represented an epic turnaround.
from the link
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Yep. I think Pacman's suspension is going to hurt them beyond what they are admitting at this point.

And Vince...well, he's already being referred to by some as the Greatest.Player.Evar!, so there will not be much room for failure. He is believed to be a top (if not no. 3 already) NFL QB by some folks, and anything less than dominance will be considered 'failure' by many analysts and fanboys.

Nevermind that it's only his second year and all that, because the hype machine is already proclaiming it a Hall of Fame career. I think he's a great talent - needs some polish - but could be crushed by unrealistic expectations that are being put on him.

Of course, he could end up being the Greatest.Player.Evar!, so time will tell.
Old 07-31-2007   #4
2ToneBlue
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Yep. I think Pacman's suspension is going to hurt them beyond what they are admitting at this point.

And Vince...well, he's already being referred to by some as the Greatest.Player.Evar!, so there will not be much room for failure. He is believed to be a top (if not no. 3 already) NFL QB by some folks, and anything less than dominance will be considered 'failure' by many analysts and fanboys.

Nevermind that it's only his second year and all that, because the hype machine is already proclaiming it a Hall of Fame career. I think he's a great talent - needs some polish - but could be crushed by unrealistic expectations that are being put on him.

Of course, he could end up being the Greatest.Player.Evar!, so time will tell.
I completely agree that losing Pacman will hurt badly, but hopefully someone can step up. Last year was Pacman's first real contributing season. Before last year he'd not had an INT and only one TD from returns.

From what I understand we're strengthening our secondary without him and when he gets back they'll be even stronger (if he's in football shape and not rusty).

It appears the writer of this article has something against Vince, because he's a large "baby" as the writer says. I feel Vince has a chance to be great, but it's up to the rest of the team to step up. He only plays one position, and most fans want to see our defense play better, which in turn helps the offense. Even with Pacman our passing defense wasn't great by any means (I'm being nice) so we have to step it up somehow. Hill/Thompson being replaced will really help out our secondary and from what I understand we've got a new safety (drafted last year) and got a new CBs in Harper, Herndon and Griffin.
2ToneBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007   #5
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't care much for the semi-sophomoric tone of the article... it really detracts from the points that the writer is trying to make.
Most of what was said, I agree with, and have had similar thoughts my self, as I'm sure many others have...
I have no clue what the writer was getting at with the repetitive "Baby Vince" thing... anyone know what that's about?
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read