Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk" Rival fans & lighthearted smack talk. Keep it light and leave the mean spirited stuff at home please.

Old 08-02-2007   #41
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: VY in fight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
"people are psycho"?

This is a Houston Texans website. If Peyton, Rivers, Romo,or McNabb had done something like that, we would still be ridiculing them.

As much as folks are heaping the man-love on vy for showing "leadership", you need to also tip your hat to the defensive guy who hit the hell out of a receiver when a crappy pass on a little out pattern left him completely vulnerable.
1) The "psycho" comment was referring to a state of mind where two polar opposite sides were either riduculing the guy for nothing or praising him like he was a god before/after draft. I think a majority were in between. My point being he is a great football player who seems to have intangibles that are wanted....rival or not. Just because people argued here for a year about why we did or didn't take him and people are sick of hearing about VY, doesn't mean he is a horrible player/person. 2) I don't know of anyone who likes their own teammate overdoing it to a point where you can get a teammate hurt 3) I'll restate that the guy has mad game and I respect him. I've yet to see him proven wrong as to what he can or cannot do and I respect that because it takes work. I like that he takes control.
Old 08-02-2007   #42
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 30712 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Ha, his punch glanced off the dudes helmet, he can't even connect when throws a punch!

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007   #43
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I still can't believe we passed on Young....still boggles my mind. Too bad he is a Titan.

Based on eight games (and his college career) he has swayed your opinion that much Vinny???

I have no doubt to not believe the guy is a heck of an athlete, but as a complete QB, I just cannot believe he is the real thing yet.

I have never, in 30+ years of following football, seen such strong feelings towards one individual player. Of all the previous drafts in the NFL, I can't recall fans looking back for so long, towards who we "coulda had". Is it his Houston connection? t.u. connection? The fact we kept Carr, only to release him the following season? I don't have that answer. What I do know is that you cannot find one post on titansonline.com lamenting their taking LenDale White over Maurice Drew!

vy's passing stats are abysmal, and yet some say he is MontanaStaubachElwayManning-esque. Yes, he was qb during an good run at the end of the season, but defense and special teams had as great, if not greater role in that streak as vy had.

Talk to me Vinny....why are you boggled?
Old 08-02-2007   #44
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

my mind hasn't changed in years. I called him a "future superstar" in the NFL back when he was a freshman at UT...so no, 8 games hasn't changed my view of him. All I know is if it is 4th and 8 with less than a min on the clock and you are within a score of winning or tying the game I can't think of another QB in the league I'd rather have at QB than Vince Young for one play.

Vince Young had a better rookie season than John Elway did, but if you have read me for a while you know how I feel about random stat grabs....so go figure. I do trust my eyeballs though.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007   #45
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 12366 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

M-m-mario Williams!!!
Old 08-02-2007   #46
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Based on eight games (and his college career) he has swayed your opinion that much Vinny???

I have no doubt to not believe the guy is a heck of an athlete, but as a complete QB, I just cannot believe he is the real thing yet.

I have never, in 30+ years of following football, seen such strong feelings towards one individual player. Of all the previous drafts in the NFL, I can't recall fans looking back for so long, towards who we "coulda had". Is it his Houston connection? t.u. connection? The fact we kept Carr, only to release him the following season? I don't have that answer. What I do know is that you cannot find one post on titansonline.com lamenting their taking LenDale White over Maurice Drew!

vy's passing stats are abysmal, and yet some say he is MontanaStaubachElwayManning-esque. Yes, he was qb during an good run at the end of the season, but defense and special teams had as great, if not greater role in that streak as vy had.
Talk to me Vinny....why are you boggled?

I really don't want to debate VY again or the ins and outs of intangibles but the reason people think he will be like those other guys is one thing.....WINNER. He wins. It isn't a coincidence. He does it at every level. Sure he is going to have some tough times....he might this year. But people follow him and he wins. You can say what you want about defense and special teams, they basically won a game by themselves and VY was the difference in many others. Do you really think it is a coincidence that a teams confidence and overall play improved after that switch?Winners breed a winning attitude and the others will follow. When people believe they are never out of games or that they have a chance no matter the opponent, they have won half the battle.

Honestly, he wasn't my choice for us to draft but I just don't get the "stat" thing or whatever else excuses when he just wins. I mean weren't people talking last year how he wouldn't start for 3 years because he couldn't do in the pros what he did in college?I am not on this guys jock I just will never understand the constant doubt towards a guy who keeps embarrassing people.
Old 08-02-2007   #47
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I am far from a UT or VY fan, and now that he's a Titan, I will never root for the guy.

But as an NFL fan, I have to admit that he's fun to watch and definitely a guy that has those so-called "intangibles" that propel him to do great things. And I'd take a guy like this any day over someone with all the physical passing skills but no heart.

I don't look back and understand the linear nature of our existence. What could've been is just that. Hopefully Mario is at least an adequate DE and lessens the sting that many H-town football fans feel when they see Young doing great things on the field. Obviously it's a time will tell situation.
Old 08-02-2007   #48
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 52985 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: As the theme from "Brokeback Mountain" plays in the background...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

John McClain has to be jealous.
LOL, that is great.

C'mon, if VY were a Texan everyone here would be loving this. He was sending a message and it's no wonder the guys around him are willing to run through a brick wall for the guy. It still makes me ill that Bud got his grubby hands on this guy. If he ever develops an accurate passing game in this league it's going to suck for us for a LONG time.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007   #49
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I understand the logic of picking of Mario (which includes assuming David Carr is a Franchise QB), but I would have taken VY.

But, it's too early to tell how things will shake out.

I wish the best and hope for the best for Mario and GO TEXANS!
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007   #50
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't really get the "winner" thing. He didn't win a high school championship. Although he was on a national championship team in college, and even though he won the big game, he was surrounded by some darn good talent too. He didn't win his biggest game last season (N.E.), so the "winner" label is maybe a little misleading.

With only the best of the best even getting to play in the NFL, it could be argued that all of them are "winners" up to this point in their careers. But I digress...

I've an idea, let's meet back here in 5 years and we'll beat this draft over again, and have more history to base it on than just 1/2 season. Until then, I will root 100% for my hometown Texans, and root loudly against any other team, irregardless of wheher they come from Houston or not.

Old 08-02-2007   #51
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

He went 8-5 as a start for a team that was starting a vet QB who had taken his team to a SB and NFC championship game and started 0-5. The loss in NE while they started their #1 D in an game that meant nothing to them is not really an indicator. He loses any of the 8 that the Titans won they would have been just as important.

Taking a team that went 0-5 to start to almost being the first playoff team in NFL history with an 0-5 start to make the playoffs is pretty impressive even for a vet. You add that he was a rookie with questionable WRs, and a team with the 32 ranked D and he still managed to give hope to the fans into the last game.

The guy is a "winner" regardless of the last game he lost. Just makes his mouth water more this season for the chance.

RIP Steve ... you showed us what a warrior truly is.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007   #52
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Obviously Texans fans wouldn't be commenting like this if we didn't, on some level, wish we had the guy.

I love Mario as much as the next guy, but to say he had anywhere near the impact that VY had on the Titans is as blind of homer-ism as you can get
Old 08-02-2007   #53
Mr. Vince
Rookie

Quote:
I don't really get the "winner" thing. He didn't win a high school championship. Although he was on a national championship team in college, and even though he won the big game, he was surrounded by some darn good talent too. He didn't win his biggest game last season (N.E.), so the "winner" label is maybe a little misleading.

With only the best of the best even getting to play in the NFL, it could be argued that all of them are "winners" up to this point in their careers. But I digress...

I've an idea, let's meet back here in 5 years and we'll beat this draft over again, and have more history to base it on than just 1/2 season. Until then, I will root 100% for my hometown Texans, and root loudly against any other team, irregardless of wheher they come from Houston or not.

you are sooo aggy.
Old 08-02-2007   #54
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Vince Young had a better rookie season than John Elway did, but if you have read me for a while you know how I feel about random stat grabs....so go figure. I do trust my eyeballs though.
Chris Chandler won more games in his rookie year than Vince did. So is Vince the next Chris Chandler?

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007   #55
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Other Titans fans are getting panty twisted about Y'all being mean to Vick.. I mean Vince.

http://www.gotitans.com/goForum/showthread.php?t=29797

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007   #56
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls View Post
Chris Chandler won more games in his rookie year than Vince did. So is Vince the next Chris Chandler?

That took some digging ....

I thought you would be tired after digging your self such a large hole with your predictions.

Old 08-02-2007   #57
2ToneBlue
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls View Post

I love comparisions.

Sure he could be a Pro-Bowler (done), a QB who leads his team to a SB and someone who ranks in the top 40 for most passing yards + completions in NFL history not to mention he's in the top 50 for most TD passes EVER.

Or...

He could be better
2ToneBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007   #58
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 30712 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing Arrow View Post
He went 8-5 as a start for a team that was starting a vet QB who had taken his team to a SB and NFC championship game and started 0-5. The loss in NE while they started their #1 D in an game that meant nothing to them is not really an indicator. He loses any of the 8 that the Titans won they would have been just as important.

Taking a team that went 0-5 to start to almost being the first playoff team in NFL history with an 0-5 start to make the playoffs is pretty impressive even for a vet. You add that he was a rookie with questionable WRs, and a team with the 32 ranked D and he still managed to give hope to the fans into the last game.

The guy is a "winner" regardless of the last game he lost. Just makes his mouth water more this season for the chance.
I love how everyone blathers on how VY won eight games. VY won only one game last year and that was against the Texans. Other than that Travis Henry carried the offense, Pacman, and the defense rose up when they had to.

And for those who would like to argue this check out the Titans wins when Travis Henry played full strength. Henry was rushing for a buck thirty, a buck fifty, a buck seventy.

You got a qb who threw more INT than TD, a completion of just over 51%, and averaged less than 160 yards a game.

The rest that I would like to say is Dilfer won a superbowl, big deal.

Old 08-02-2007   #59
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ToneBlue View Post
I love comparisions.

Sure he could be a Pro-Bowler (done), a QB who leads his team to a SB and someone who ranks in the top 40 for most passing yards + completions in NFL history not to mention he's in the top 50 for most TD passes EVER.

Or...

He could be better
One of the things that I am thankful for after the Oilers left, Chris Chandler is part of your history, not ours.

But you probably didn't know that.

Old 08-02-2007   #60
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
One of the things that I am thankful for after the Oilers left, Chris Chandler is part of your history, not ours.

But you probably didn't know that.
Well he looked like David Carr for the last 5 season so you can feel our pain.

The only difference, he actually managed to win at least half of his games one season.

But I am sure you knew that already

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read