Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-03-2005   #21
Chawky1
Veteran

Hard to throw when you are trying not to get killed as soon as the ball is snapped. Whats even more sad is when you don't have time to run a 3 step drop. In my imaginary NFL world , where there are no cap penalties I'd lose your entire offensive line ...they are just plain offensive, ick.
Chawky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #22
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

well thats my point.. we are no stranger to having a nonexistant pocket for Carr.. and yet we just kept "chopping wood" as Del Rio would say.. and as the scoreboard showed, we missed the stump and hit our leg plenty of times.

We HAVE plays in the playbook that gets the ball out of Carrs hand QUICK.. but we didnt use them.. we just kept dropping back and hoping that on THIS play, the line would hold long enough for us to throw it deep.

Hey, I know we need the big play, but the #1 rule I keep hearing from good coaches is "take what they give you" .. if your QB has been sacked 4 times and ran out of bounds more than that.. you dont "keep chopping wood" you take advantage of their stacking the box and do some dump offs.. back em up a little and slowly work your way back into a position to throw long.

I mean geez.. the browns secondary sucks.. if we would have done SOMETHING to take the pressure off Carr.. he could have made some big plays.. instead we just kept wishing on stars and hoping the next play would go better.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #23
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

His comments were vague. He implied the OL was being asked to do things above and beyond in terms of blocking - not sure what he meant by that -- then he said he's confident that we have the right personnel to be a playoff team. Who knows what all this means but there is obviously something broken internally that needs to be fixed. I don't think it's all on the QB nor do I think it's all on the OL.

Until the Texans figure out a way to make teams pay - I mean really pay - for sitting back in comfy zones, I'm afraid the results will continue to be the same.

Last edited by aj.; 01-03-2005 at 07:58 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #24
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's begining to sound like the players are giving a "No Confidence" vote to some or most of the coaching staff and/or game plan. The team management had better get a grasp on this fast or they will lose the team and it will take years to get it back.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #25
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

well down in Tampa Bay.. they are having similar production. winning the games they should lose and losing the games they should win.

Just recently one of their star LBs (whos name slips my mind) said that Gruden lacks discipline. After years under their last head coach (whos name also slips my mind.. hes with the jets now) who was a strict discipline guy without much personality.. they had gruden come in who was fun and emotional.. the result was a championship. A disciplined team with an emotional fiery head coach. unfortunatly, now the disicpline set in motion by the original head coach is wearing off.. and Gruden's lack of discipline is losing games. Basicly.. they practice hard for the tough games, but when an "easy" game comes along, Gruden gives em a break, does lighter practices. The result is a flat team on game day.

SO.. my point is, this sounds like us. We come out fired up for the tough games, but then lose to the browns. Maybe we need more of a disciplinarian?
Old 01-03-2005   #26
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 11712 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Well, I'm not on the "firing coaches" bandwagon, because I fear that would turn into the Browns current system. Also, I wonder for those that do want to remove the coaches - who would be their replacement. I'm hearing get rid of them, but not hearing who to replace them with.

Grid, are you talking about Dungy that was the coach? He went to the Colts.

AJ - I didn't hear Carr (though I wanted to) but if he feels the line is being asked to do above and beyond blocking.. maybe they're not the correct players for the scheme, however it has been only one year with the new system. I don't see him yelling at his coaches after he gets smacked into the turf.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #27
Grid
Hall of Fame

ahhh yah i think it was dungy.. Dungy and the Jets guy.. I always get them mixed up.
Old 01-03-2005   #28
Chawky1
Veteran

You mean Herman Edwards from the Jets?? Awesome defensive coach and played in the league in the 70's as a DB I think...or maybe the early 80's. Was a while ago though.
Chawky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #29
Grid
Hall of Fame

thats him. They both kinda look alike if ya squint your eyes
Old 01-03-2005   #30
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
well down in Tampa Bay.. they are having similar production. winning the games they should lose and losing the games they should win.

Just recently one of their star LBs (whos name slips my mind) said that Gruden lacks discipline. After years under their last head coach (whos name also slips my mind.. hes with the jets now) who was a strict discipline guy without much personality.. they had gruden come in who was fun and emotional.. the result was a championship. A disciplined team with an emotional fiery head coach. unfortunatly, now the disicpline set in motion by the original head coach is wearing off.. and Gruden's lack of discipline is losing games. Basicly.. they practice hard for the tough games, but when an "easy" game comes along, Gruden gives em a break, does lighter practices. The result is a flat team on game day.

SO.. my point is, this sounds like us. We come out fired up for the tough games, but then lose to the browns. Maybe we need more of a disciplinarian?
I thought Dom was a detail oriented disiplinarian, but none emotional? As a defensive type guy I would expect him to be a bit of a hard *ss.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #31
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Carr's comments on the radio about two minutes ago implied scheme being the problem - not personnel.
I believe what someone else said on here, Capers is a great DC but i don't think hes a strong enough head coach to ever take this team to the superbowl...This team needs direction from a STRONG COACH like Parcells...That was just an example, not necessarialy meaning i want parcells, it was a comparasion...He knows how to get mad and provides leadership.....Watching Dallas last nite even though they lost, i was impressed at the surprise plays they did...It caught the opponent off guard many times...The Texans seem like they play HUM DRUM football...Don't get me wrong, i love this team otherwise i wouldn't be a Texans fan, but this is my opinion and i'm entitled to it....They make the same plays every week after week, no surprises, just play the same...Its just not hard for other teams to watch them and know more or less what to expect from their plays...Sometimes they work and win, and other times then they lose playing the same way...They obviously need to change somewheres...They need some kind of leadership from a STRONG SKILLED COACH...

Last edited by shinerbock_girl; 01-03-2005 at 12:56 PM.
shinerbock_girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read