Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-01-2005   #21
Dubya
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
Banks thinks he can be a starter somewhere else. Good luck with that one.
They need a quality #2, Ragone is not going to accomplish that. A Testeverde-type that can step in and hold the fort for a few games is needed.
I have a feeling Testeverde might be available next season. I don't think the Cowpatties are too happy with him.
Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005   #22
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
He is probably our best d-lineman and I hope they are able to re-sign him. His injury may affect his ability to get "big" money with another team but I'm not aware of any other problems other than the one surgically repaired knee. He's still not able to carry as much weight as he wants but I think next season he could return as good as new. He's going to be 30 in February so you don't want to go crazy on a contract like they did with Walker. The fact that they invested so much in Walker and Smith will have an effect on what they will be willing spend to re-sign Payne, Sears, and DeLoach.
When he's on his game, I think he is clearly superior to Walker. But they can
invest only so much money in resigning verteran D-Lineman and must also
look to the draft to use scarce resources for inclusion of younger players in restocking the D-Line (and all positions for that matter). Another thing about Payne is that he has made it clear he very much wants to play in a SB. So he might sign at a discount to get with a real contender. Or maybe he thinks he's already with a team that will contend in the next few years, which would then enhance our own bargaining position.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005   #23
Dime
Hall of Fame

I think Wells should be re-signed.. he has filled in nicely when davis has been out and he has been running VERY hard. He seems to be a good power fit for the zone blocking scheme.
Dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005   #24
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

If the Texans draft a center who can also deep snap, that will free up Pittman's roster spot. He hasn't been as consistent this year and has hurt Brown on a couple of FG attempts. If a roster spot is going to be reserved for a deep snapper, he needs to be just about perfect.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #25
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

one would expect with 4 picks within the first 3 rounds that subtraction of four roster spots from our F/A, RF/A & ERF/A list.

ERFA-Jason Anderson, JJ Moses, Bryan Pittman

RFA-Jarrod Baxter, Milford Brown, Troy Evans, Demarcus Faggins, Matt Murphy, Jonathan Wells

FA-Tony Banks, Jason Bell, Marcus Bell, Corey Bradford, Junior Ioane, Marlon McCree, Moran Norris, Seth Payne, DaShon Polk, Corey Sears, Jason Simmons, Marcus Spears, Kenny Wright

the Texans are at least two deep at all these positions depending on who they draft and what needs are addressed other than the center position which has been mentioned numerous times, so you can bet the Texans use one of those first four picks on a center. After that even if Banks leaves we have two back-ups waiting in the wings. Norris is going to be the #1 FB with Wells as his back-up as needed. Our WR corps are talented & deep without Bradford, but I would not be surprised if he took a pay cut to stay with the Texans. If the Texans draft a TE in the first three rounds look for some change here as well, I'm just not sure who would be out however.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #26
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

assuming we let Pittman go.. who will be our longsnapper? our draft pick? what if the best center available isnt a good longsnapper?

Just curious.. I mean.. would we then have to sign an FA longsnapper? probably end up signing Pittman again.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #27
phan1
All Pro

I really like Banks and hope he'll stay. Faggins and Payne need to stay too. I like Moses mostly because he's reliable. He did fumble today, but either than that, he's been dependable all season.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #28
SESupergenius

What were you saying about Payne?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read