Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-05-2007   #1
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jacoby's Dream Realized

Quote:
In the NFL, the competition will improve drastically, and the intensity will rise. Jones can't even imagine the 70,000 rabid NFL fans he will encounter each Sunday.

"My flesh will probably be crawling," said Jones, who turns 23 next week. "I can't wait to see what that's like."
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4944346.html

We need to talk this guy up when he rolls onto the field for his first season in the NFL. I think he will soak up the Texans fan's desire for a winning organization and he would probably be fun to pump up. He could be our Ocho Cinco.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jacoby's Dream Realized

Great article. Thanks for posting!

I got a chuckle with this part:
Quote:
Jones' love for football wasn't the only thing getting bigger during his freshman year. The growth spurt he longed for in high school finally arrived.

"I got home, and my mom was like, 'What are you on? Steroids?' " Jones said. "I said, 'What do you mean?' "
Sounds like Moms was ready to get all up in his bidness!! LOL!!
Old 07-05-2007   #3
Sideline
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 118 Sideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Sideline

Great Read, thanks for the post, I hope he gets a good chance to show it this year.
Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007   #4
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's just so exciting to have a vocal leader that has worked so hard to reach the NFL. Not to mention a qb that is more than buying into his leadership position. Andre restructuring... The list goes on! We have a solid group of guys.

Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007   #5
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Good article.

I really like this kid. I'm hoping he can make the transition to the NFL quickly and get out on the field this season. He has a spirit the Texans need and he will be ever so much fun to have around.

Go JJ!
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007   #6
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

He might have come from a small school, but I am hoping for some big things from him.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007   #7
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Great article. I hope Jacoby gets the WR2 spot.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-06-2007   #8
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 21 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

It is a nice story and I hope that he can be the player we think he can be with the third round pick.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #9
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffi2 View Post
Good article.

I really like this kid. I'm hoping he can make the transition to the NFL quickly and get out on the field this season. He has a spirit the Texans need and he will be ever so much fun to have around.

Go JJ!
JJ=Dyynnoooommiite!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 07-06-2007   #10
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I think it's really all up to JJ how quickly he enters the fray. If he works hard in training camp and preseason he will at the very least get a chance to come in on 3 and 4 wide sets, then its up to him to make the play, make an impression. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease" kinda thing I wish him well.
Old 07-06-2007   #11
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope he does well. He could to, seems to have the physical potential as well as the right mental make-up.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #12
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Warm fuzziness aside, he needs to produce, otherwise he will be a wealthy answer to a trivia question in a couple years - kinda like Mathis - while we sit here and wring our hands over #2/3 WRs every year.

Last edited by aj.; 07-06-2007 at 09:44 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

of course its too early to tell but we're all hopefull he will be successful as a Texan

who has been the best 3rd rd. pick for the Texans anyway? not exactly killing them are we here (thanks Casserly). I mean Fred Weary, Charles Hill in 02, Antwan Peek, Seth Wand, Dave Ragone 03, Vernand Morency 05 & Spencer/Winston in 06.

its not a stretch to say that Jacoby Jones could become the most exciting 3rd round pick in Texans history, sure thats not saying much but I'll take it. as someone who likes to think of themselves as a poorly compensated, non-affliated scout of College talent, his game footage is most impressive, his playmaking ability is not to be underestimated, work ethic, size, speed & natural athletic ability its all there & he has the personel self confidence it takes to play with the elite athletes in the NFL, dare I say take a back seat to no one or step down from any challenge. thats exactly what this team needs.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been trying to think of a tall punt returner/WR2 in recent time and perhaps John Taylor of the 49ers is someone who Jacoby Jones may be comparable to as far as upside. Taylor was 6'1" out of tiny Delaware State College and was a hell of a punt returner and a great compliment to Jerry Rice. Taylor also ran a 4.67 40 at the combine that didn't really impress anyone but proved to have deceptive speed and excellent YAC ability due to his great body control. Taylor was really known for his ability to run with the ball after the catch...and that is Jones strength. Both guys are in the wco in the NFL as well. Lots of similarities to these players on paper.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007   #15
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
of course its too early to tell but we're all hopefull he will be successful as a Texan

who has been the best 3rd rd. pick for the Texans anyway? not exactly killing them are we here (thanks Casserly). I mean Fred Weary, Charles Hill in 02, Antwan Peek, Seth Wand, Dave Ragone 03, Vernand Morency 05 & Spencer/Winston in 06.

its not a stretch to say that Jacoby Jones could become the most exciting 3rd round pick in Texans history, sure thats not saying much but I'll take it. as someone who likes to think of themselves as a poorly compensated, non-affliated scout of College talent, his game footage is most impressive, his playmaking ability is not to be underestimated, work ethic, size, speed & natural athletic ability its all there & he has the personel self confidence it takes to play with the elite athletes in the NFL, dare I say take a back seat to no one or step down from any challenge. thats exactly what this team needs.

At the moment the best 3rd rounder has been Winston

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
At the moment the best 3rd rounder has been Winston
perhaps...but, he was awful at the start of the year and was decent at the end...but not really all that. His jury is still out and he hasn't proven anything more than Peek has proved.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I've been trying to think of a tall punt returner/WR2 in recent time and perhaps John Taylor of the 49ers is someone who Jacoby Jones may be comparable to as far as upside. Taylor was 6'1" out of tiny Delaware State College and was a hell of a punt returner and a great compliment to Jerry Rice. Taylor also ran a 4.67 40 at the combine that didn't really impress anyone but proved to have deceptive speed and excellent YAC ability due to his great body control. Taylor was really known for his ability to run with the ball after the catch...and that is Jones strength. Both guys are in the wco in the NFL as well. Lots of similarities to these players on paper.
once again Vinny you show why your the man excellent comparable

also like to add that John Taylor was taken #76 overall. Jacoby nearly spot on #73. oh yes I have to mention Terrell Owens 10 years later for the 49ers #89. not bad picks at all in hindsight

heres kinda of a cool article I found comparing the actual top 10 draft picks in 96 to what should have been the top 10 draft picks based on their actual careers in the NFL- http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/vall.../s_445788.html

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 07-07-2007 at 01:34 PM. Reason: more info
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I like this kid. He's got good drive and desire to earn his spot. But like mentioned above, the proof will be in his play on the field. I think he'll find a spot at #3 this season and get some KR/PR duties, too.
Old 07-08-2007   #19
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Good read. I like his attitude. I love the fact that he has shown so much perseverance. Can't wait to see how he does in TC and Pre-season.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read