Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 07-08-2007   #1
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Grilling

Anyone have any good resources for a Yankee who has only grilled w/ propane or ready light charcoal on a Hibatchi?

One of our new tailgaters grabbed a grill today from Academy

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...eklyad&pgNum=6
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Grilling

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...ghlight=recipe

here is some things YIT
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #3
Beer and Metal
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20683 Beer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a charcoal purist, so I can't help on gas grills. Personally, I use vertical grill/smokers due to space limitations.

I've owned several Brinkmann Gourmet charcoal smokers and a Weber Smokey Mountain cooker.
The Brinkmann is more versatile, but the Weber is the superior smoker.

The first link is to a good site for info. It's directed to mods to consider for the Brinkmann, but the whole site is great.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9287

The below link is peculiar to the Smokey Mountain, with discussion forums.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/
Old 07-08-2007   #4
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer and Metal View Post
I'm a charcoal purist, so I can't help on gas grills.
What about clean burnin' propane? Taste the meat, not the heat.

Signed,
Hank Hill
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #5
YellerLotYeller
nice marmot

Rep Power: 188 YellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respected

What does "Grilling" mean? I only know how to barbaque. I know its spelled wrong, but thats the way I say it.

Last edited by YellerLotYeller; 07-08-2007 at 08:45 PM.
YellerLotYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #6
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Grilling is what you do to hamburgers, hot dogs, brats, chicken breasts, shishkabob, etc.

BBQ (i.e., brisket, chicken, links, ribs) is a noun not a verb. I eat it, I don't do it. And I eat it after it's been cooked low and slow in a pit.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #7
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Cool Re: Grilling

Cool, I'll check out the recipes. I guess I am moreso wondering what wood chips for flavoring, what kind of charcoal, ways to smoke, etc, etc. Pretty much the tailgater's version of BBQ'ing (as we only have a few hours to cook!).
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Sponsored links
Old 07-08-2007   #8
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
Cool, I'll check out the recipes. I guess I am moreso wondering what wood chips for flavoring, what kind of charcoal, ways to smoke, etc, etc. Pretty much the tailgater's version of BBQ'ing (as we only have a few hours to cook!).

I agree with ONLY using charcoal. It is so worth it to me.

I love to use pecan wood. My dad always brings me some when he comes to visit and I keep a limb of it in the garage and cut "pancake" size slices off of it. When the charcoal is about 5-10 minutes from being ready I throw the wood on the fire. It gives the meat a great flavor.

For chicken I put Tony Cactchetories (sp) Creole seasoning and garlic powder on both sides and rub it in real good like then submerge the meat in Jack Daniels grilling sauce or any bbq sauce and add a half of beer or little more to it plus a few tablespoons of Liquid Smoke. Stir it up and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes but up to a few hours. Throw the chicken on the hottest part of the fire, each side for about a minute and a half. This seers (sp) the flavor in the meat. Then back it off and slow cook on the cooler side (I only build the fire under half of the grill space, creating a "hot" and a "cool" side if you will) like at medium-low heat. Depending on how hot the fire is and how thick the meat is but usually is about another 6-8 minutes on each side at the lower temp. This gives the chicken time to soak up the smokey flavor. You have to keep your vents adjusted just right through trial and error on your pit to create a ton of smoke while keeping the fire hot.

This recipe has knocked the socks off of everyone I know.

I will share my recipes for steaks, burgers, and pork loin when I have more time.

The best grill in the world to me is a Weber, they kettle is made of porcelain and will last forever. I have had family members that had Webers for over a decade, the legs have rusted off and the handle on the lid is about gone but the pit keeps cooking.

Here's the one I have right now, it's a little small when I am cooking for a lot of people, they have one just like a little bigger though. I know, it's nothing big and fancy, but it is effective and it is all I need to make some kick arse food.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=8125

Last edited by Hardcore Texan; 07-08-2007 at 09:41 PM.
Hardcore Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #9
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Grillin = Steaks, Dogs, Brats and Burgers

Smoken = slow cooking of any meat.

BBQ = with BBQ sauce.
Old 07-08-2007   #10
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 63539 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Typically, grilling is fast cooking, things like burgers, dogs, etc. even steaks. BBQ is considered low and slow cooking, brisket, pork butts/shoulders, bigger pieces of meat.

To me it really doesn't matter much with all the technicalities. Whatever it is tastes better if it's done on the grill, smoker, etc.

For tailgates, you really don't have time to low and slow it or smoke anything. I typically fire up my grill about 8:45 and we're walking to the stadium around 11:20. 20 minutes or so for the charcoal to ash over, and that leaves you about 2 hours to cook, eat, and clean up before you go to the game. Actual cooking time is no longer than about an hour and a half or so at the max. That really doesn't give you enough time to "BBQ" or smoke.

My Grill

That's the best picture I could find of the grill I use. And I've cooked or "grilled" everything from burgers to pizza to meatloaf at tailgates on it.

BTW, I think that's Philly cheesesteak on the grill in that picture.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #11
dskillz
Veteran

Rep Power: 27 dskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performer

One thing you can do is BBQ or slow cook on Saturday, and bring your propane grill to the tailgate to heat it up on Sunday before the game. You have the smoky taste and do all the real work Saturday. Leaves more time to enjoy yourself before the game.
dskillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #12
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

That Oklahoma Joe's charcoal pit in the attached pic is the one I have, with the cast iron grates. I highly recommend it, if you aren't up for a custom-created one.

What I prefer to do, if I am grilling, is to lay a nice bed of charcoal, let it ash over well, then put in whatever wood I am using - dry. I sear the meat over high heat, then set it aside off the fire to cook at about 300-325. Steaks and chops are great this way. BBQing is a completely different story, as is smoking. For the wood, I prefer pecan for links, mesquite for most beef, and apple or cherry for pork.

I have several different rubs and marinades that I use. I'll try to find time to post a few, but most of the time, I don't have exact measurements. There are a few that my sister has badgered me into measuring out, so I have those, but many are just approximations, based on feel, as well as my personal taste.

I do 90% of the cooking for my family, indoors and outdoors. It's something I am very passionate about and I am halfway decent at it as well
Old 07-09-2007   #13
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Cool Re: Grilling

Thanks guys. Good info. Where can I buy wood? (shut up, you know what I mean!)
117 C BullPen
Sigh.

Last edited by Yankee_In_TX; 07-09-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-09-2007   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know if they still do, but next to Goode Company BBQ on Kirby, they owned a little store where you could buy wood and ash....
Old 07-09-2007   #15
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I have used this guy in the past too..... Bob's Cooking Wood

But be prepared to buy 50lb. sacks.
Old 07-09-2007   #16
BullPenPhotos
Veteran

Rep Power: 36624 BullPenPhotos is a quality contributor and well respectedBullPenPhotos is a quality contributor and well respectedBullPenPhotos is a quality contributor and well respectedBullPenPhotos is a quality contributor and well respectedBullPenPhotos is a quality contributor and well respectedBullPenPhotos is a quality contributor and well respectedBullPenPhotos is a quality contributor and well respectedBullPenPhotos is a quality contributor and well respectedBullPenPhotos is a quality contributor and well respectedBullPenPhotos is a quality contributor and well respectedBullPenPhotos is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanks guys. Good info. Where can I buy wood?
I will forward you an email that I got...It lets you buy all those kinds of pills...

Try my All Purpose Spice Mix
Andys-Spice-Mix.com
BullPenPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #17
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

There are a couple places over on Pinemont between Bingle and Ella.
Old 07-09-2007   #18
Texan_Lee
Lost for now...

Rep Power: 18 Texan_Lee could be on the next Madden coverTexan_Lee could be on the next Madden coverTexan_Lee could be on the next Madden coverTexan_Lee could be on the next Madden coverTexan_Lee could be on the next Madden coverTexan_Lee could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to Texan_Lee Send a message via MSN to Texan_Lee

Hey Yank!

As for the charcoal, we use a chimney to light up just plain ol' Kingsford charcoal. We do not use any of that "Pre-light" crap... that stuff just adds bad flavor to the food.

Just a thought for you...
Go Texans!!! Go Bull Pen!!!
Section 116 - Row D
Texan_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #19
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanks guys. Good info. Where can I buy wood? (shut up, you know where I mean!)
Not sure where an HEB plus is in Houston but I know they sell small sacks of wood .. Mesquite and Hickory.
Old 07-09-2007   #20
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 67743 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanks guys. Good info. Where can I buy wood? (shut up, you know where I mean!)
Academy

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read