Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 07-06-2007   #1
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What ever happened to the white helmets?

Ok, I know we're all trying our damdest to come up with something to talk about while we wait 20 more days... and basically rehashing the same topics over and over and over. I was remembering back to when they first unveiled the team logo and it was on a white helmet. I don't think we had uniforms in any form at that point so I was wondering if that was just for the purpose of the unveiling or was a white helmet ever actually a consideration and if so what led to it's eventual demise?

P.S. I know there have been plenty of "uni" threads and I'm not suggesting another debate on that, just curious...

Last edited by barrett; 12-19-2009 at 07:49 AM.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #2
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What ever happened to the white helmets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Ok, I know we're all trying our damdest to come up with something to talk about while we wait 20 more days... and basically rehashing the same topics over and over and over. I was remembering back to when they first unveiled the team logo and it was on a white helmet. I don't think we had uniforms in any form at that point so I was wondering if that was just for the purpose of the unveiling or was a white helmet ever actually a consideration and if so what led to it's eventual demise?

P.S. I know there have been plenty of "uni" threads and I'm not suggesting another debate on that, just curious...
i think it was more to show off the logo on the helmet than anything else... the helmet is a part of the uniform, so the official blue helmet didn't show up until our official uniform unveiling.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

281 is correct. The white helmet was just generic to display our new logo.

The only official helmet has been the blue ones, and I honestly hope it stays that way.
Old 07-06-2007   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree they should stay blue, but if they ever do change to the white helmets, they should go with a red face mask, IMO.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I agree they should stay blue, but if they ever do change to the white helmets, they should go with a red face mask, IMO.
Maybe when it comes time for a Texans throwback uniform we'd have the white helmet. I think it'd be a pretty cool ensemble to have Liberty white helmets, jersey and pants. Of course that is until the first play of the game on natural grass. Unless we wear them at an away game where there's field turf.
Old 07-06-2007   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Maybe when it comes time for a Texans throwback uniform we'd have the white helmet. I think it'd be a pretty cool ensemble to have Liberty white helmets, jersey and pants. Of course that is until the first play of the game on natural grass. Unless we wear them at an away game where there's field turf.
I agree, but I know a lot of other people think all the white is "sissy-ish".

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree, but I know a lot of other people think all the white is "sissy-ish".
LOL! Maybe, but I'm pretty secure with my manhood.

Look at D-Ryans in your avatar. Put a white helmet (with red facemask previously mentioned) on him and it'd look pretty tough IMO.
Sponsored links
Old 07-06-2007   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I think they test marketed the helmets and decided on the blue helmets early on...I think they just wanted to show the fans what the logo looked like on a helmet. I think it's kinda ugly myself. Glad they went with the blue.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #9
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
That would look pretty damn close to an Oilers helmet. I would have no problem with that color combo on the helm. I may have to try that out once Madden 08 comes out. Our uniforms look a bit too much like Denver for my liking but they are nice uniforms and already look NFL. Nothing is worse than an NFL uniform that looks like it belongs in the Arena League (see Thanksgiving Cowboys uniform, Bengals uniform, Ravens uniform, or Falcons uniform for examples of Arena League type uniforms)
Old 07-06-2007   #10
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I think they test marketed the helmets and decided on the blue helmets early on...I think they just wanted to show the fans what the logo looked like on a helmet. I think it's kinda ugly myself. Glad they went with the blue.
with some stripes on it and maybe the numbers on the back, it would look a lot better. but yeah the helmet McNair is holding looks dull.
Old 07-06-2007   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Two of our division opponents already have white helmets, and three out of four teams would be way too many, IMO.
Double Barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #12
texanmojo
Shotgun 30 Time

Section: The Nosebleeds
Rep Power: 3019 texanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Maybe when it comes time for a Texans throwback uniform we'd have the white helmet. I think it'd be a pretty cool ensemble to have Liberty white helmets, jersey and pants.
How can you possibly have a 'throwback' helmet color when the only color we have ever officilly had is blue? Makes absolutely no sense at all.

I think we need to wait another 15 or 20 years before we worry about a 'throwback' version. The blue helmets look great...let's leave it that way for awhile.
texanmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #13
shawn76ers
Texan Genius

I agree the white helmets look 100% better than our "broncos helmet" we currently wear.
I was always curious to who made the decision to switch to the blue??
of course i am bias, cuz the white does remind me of the oilers- for me good memories ~~
shawn76ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn76ers View Post
I agree the white helmets look 100% better than our "broncos helmet" we currently wear.
I was always curious to who made the decision to switch to the blue??
of course i am bias, cuz the white does remind me of the oilers- for me good memories ~~
I don't think there was ever a "switch to blue" (could be wrong since I'm not totally sure)...but from what I understand the Texans test marketed the helmets (like a good corporation) and did a study and decided more people liked the blue than the white...the rest is history.

Old 07-06-2007   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanmojo.com View Post
How can you possibly have a 'throwback' helmet color when the only color we have ever officilly had is blue? Makes absolutely no sense at all.

I think we need to wait another 15 or 20 years before we worry about a 'throwback' version. The blue helmets look great...let's leave it that way for awhile.
I said "when it comes time"! Even though we do not use the white helmet, it was still the first helmet to sport the Texan logo. Which would be the reason I stated it. Who knows, by the time we do wear a throwback uniform the blue ones my be the ones we'll be wearing.

It was discussion sake anyways. So relax
Old 07-06-2007   #16
Bull Pen 1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1621 Bull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respected

I kept my white helment.
Bull Pen 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
with some stripes on it and maybe the numbers on the back, it would look a lot better. but yeah the helmet McNair is holding looks dull.
all personal preference I guess...but I never want to see stripes on that helmet...I think it looks uncluttered and tough with a straight on view. Simple and tough looks better than those fancy partial stripes the meatballs have. But then again, I love Chicago's helmet and most of the other simple, straightforward looks. I don't like helmets that are too busy.

Old 07-06-2007   #18
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 63539 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Training camp, please hurry!!!!!

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #19
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 57075 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Training camp, please hurry!!!!!
We could use white helmets for training camp...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #20
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

My biggest hope is that we are consistant and don't start changing our uni's every few years. Only the classic teams seem to have any sense of identity. I hope that we continue with our three (now four with the all whites.... here we go) uniforms. I'd really prefer, even though we always do so well in battle red, that we only had two options and we stuck with that for A LONG TIME to develop a sense of identity and history.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read