Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-02-2007   #1
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Looking Ahead to the 2008 Offseason

Outside of Houston, expectations are low for Texans on the field. This is nothing new or unprecedented. There are a few national "sports journalists" begrudgingly picking them to be a "surprise", which loosely translated means they think that we might have a .500 season. These same guys are saying the same things about Arizona and Detroit, so it should generally be taken with a grain of salt.

Texans fans expect this team to be the best we have seen in our short history while in the back of their minds remember their predictions before the atrocious 2005 season (I personally predicted a 10-6 season). Generally speaking, players take their biggest developmental steps between year one and two of their NFL careers so there has to be marked improvement in the 2006 draft class, especially with that year's first overall pick. Using this theory the coaching staff should be improved as well and have a much better feel for what their personnel can do. The front office added additional pressure on themselves by bringing in a career backup QB while naming him the starter and paying him a relatively hefty contract. They are also relying on Mike Sherman improving the offense and for Frank Bush to improve the defense. Not to mention that they’re banking on Jethro Franklin to improve an underachieving defensive line.

So why is this the most important season and offseason in history. It's simple really. The team has over $33 million to spend in the next offseason. Most of their core players are locked up so this money will be spent on improving the roster. If the Texans can't show marked improvement (e.g. on the verge of being a contender) the top-tier free agents aren't going to come here. San Francisco is a perfect model for what we need to see this year. A young, improving team (8-8 last year) that had a ton of money to spend in the offseason which they used to sign several of the most sought after free agents. Great teams are built through the draft, however good free agent signings definitely help expedite the process. If the Texans go 8-8, their 2006 rookie class shows improvement and the 2007 rookie class makes the same kind of contributions that their predecessors did, we are going to be big time players in the 2008 free agent market and well on our way to building a consistent winner.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007   #2
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2888 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Looking Ahead to the 2008 Offseason

I agree...free agents are going to want to play with a contender and I strongly believe that the 49er's were/are in that position, thus, signing the biggest free agent of 2007 in Nate Clements.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007   #3
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61262 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

It is way too early to do significant thought about the 2008 off-season. A couple of players exceding expection with the Texans or an injury at position which seems ok changes the view. This is before figuring out what players re-sign or don't with their teams or get cut unexpectedly. IMO, way too early to be declaring 2008's offseason to be the most important in the team's history. I am sure I could pull up the same thoughts from some about the 2007, 2006, 2005, etc. off seasons. My priority for 2007 is seeing a game past Halloween that matters, not worrying about how spend 33 million dollars in March.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007   #4
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully we aren't as stupid as the Titans were this offseason and have a ton to spend and go out and do nothing.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007   #5
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 18 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Anyone got a list of who could be available?
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007   #6
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
I agree...free agents are going to want to play with a contender and I strongly believe that the 49er's were/are in that position, thus, signing the biggest free agent of 2007 in Nate Clements.
It does not hurt that they threw some serious jack his way either. C'mon no one offered less than the 49ers did, so to say he wanted to play for a contender is a little far fetched.
Old 07-03-2007   #7
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

When it comes to trades or anything else, I think most players are interested in money first and everything else a distant second. I suspect current record has little to do with it. "Nobody wants to play for a loser, but for a couple million, why not?" is many athletes' (and their respective agents') philosophy. Now, on occasion some players will consider record, just as on occasion coaching staff is also important. But I don't think they compare to the almighty dollar. Probably the thing that comes closest is the question "will I start?" Player 1 may like Team A's check, but Team B he has a much better chance to start. Even though Team B's offer is slightly less, Player 1 could see the opportunity to start as a chance to be seen, and thus, get more money.
Old 07-04-2007   #8
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I have to agree in principle wonger, but I think the only real area where a top free agent will enter the picture is if Spencer does get to play and either bombs or gets reinjured(god forbid). or if we still have no real WR2 at the end of the season. we could also go after a CB2 or FS but usually you grab those guys in the draft in early rounds. grabbing a OLB in FA is expensive and risky, but who knows. I think proving the caliber of coaching this year will be more important than the "winning team" idea also. so basicly how well we develop our young players and hone our offensive and defensive schemes will be important to the team and possibly important to prospective FA in the future. IMHO
Old 07-04-2007   #9
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58841 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

A young RB is one of the top holes that needs to be filled. McFadden or Slaton would be nice, but we may not pick that high (hopefully)

A playmaking stud at the other WR spot. I wanted Jarrett this year, but I really like DeShaun Jackson from Cal.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read