Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-29-2004   #41
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
You have to be kidding. 5 minutes left in a 14-0 game and you call it bad coaching to kick a field goal to make it a three score game against the cardiac cats rather than go for a 4th and 2 attempt against a 7th ranked run D that while it had given up some big plays had also stuffed DD a number of times? That is proof you will make up anything to call bad coaching. Every coach from high school on up in the country would have made that call.
The Texans took a time out at the 4:12 mark to setup for the field goal. They were on the Jaguars 16 with 2 to go for the 1st. The Jaguars blocked the field goal and got it on the Houston 49 at the 4:04 mark. People had beeen pouring through our line the entire day. They needed to make something happen, so its not too surprising that they would try to block the field goal. Its also not surprising that it happened. Our kicking game of late hasn't been the best for a lot of reasons, but I suspect O-line play and pressure has something to do with it. Our defense has a lot more options with them on the 16 than our 49. You feel the way you do and I feel the way I do.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004   #42
fresno8
Veteran

I've watched all the games this year and I'll admit I have called for Capers/Palmers head. I think Capers deserves another year because when the going got tough he turned things around, we played the Colts tough and won two good road games. In our third year going 8-8 is a good accomplishment. I would have liked to been above .500, but we all would. From 4-12 to 5-11 to 8-8 that's good solid progression. I like good steady progression rather than a rapid accent followed by a rapid fall. Lets hope to get to 8-8 and I know we will. If we don't though then the progress we've made this year and in the last three games won't seem as good as it has this season . I'm less than thrilled w/ Palmer, but Carr does audible to the run a lot so maybe it's not all his fault and the line hasn't solidified, but I would like to see a more wide open attack when the line solidifies. If not then Palmer should go, I don't think they've used Carr to his full capabilities. And the field goal was the right call @ 14-0 you try and go up by 3 scores. I was thrilled we beat the Jags the way we did. There have been other times this year when I thought Capers should go for it and he didn't, but he was just trying to get points then. Capers for another year is ok w/ me.
fresno8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004   #43
MichaelMC
Rookie

Personally I am not a big fan of Capers or Palmer, but don't give up on them yet. As an organization builds from NOTHING they have to not only add talent, but also give that talent some time to develope together. Teams don't become teams without playing together for a few years. Can someone tell me how many of our Starters have more that 5 years in the NFL and none of them have more than three with this franchise. What Harry wants is the Panthers, he wants to go to the playoffs this year and be a joke for the next five. To say that we have added great players and we have the talent but the coaching is the problem is just crazy. This guy wont even give the o-line a full year to learn a completely different scheme. I guess next he will say that switching to zone blocking was a coaching mistake. Souds to me like he is the biggest Monday morning QB on this board. Would our talent have developed the way it did with out the couches *cough* Tim Couch *cough* Ryan Leaf *cough* Let me ask you this then is it not the coaches that develope talented players. Is it not the decisions coaches make that determines what a player learns about the NFL and how to handle situations. So in Andre's case your telling me that he could have walked strait out of college and into the Pro Bowl. I don't think so, college is a different game and you can thank the coaches to the talent we have.
MichaelMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004   #44
NeViKaN
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresno8
but Carr does audible to the run a lot so maybe it's not all his fault .
Hes taught that.
NeViKaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004   #45
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Can someone tell me how many of our Starters have more that 5 years in the NFL
Before Coleman and Foreman went down, 8 of our 11 starters on defense had 5 or more years in the NFL - most have a lot more than 5 years - and most of those years in starting roles. Now that Simmons and Polk are in there, it dropped the starting experience level a bit.

Last edited by aj.; 12-29-2004 at 10:59 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004   #46
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

The starting offense in the JAX game averaged almost 6 years in the league with zero rookies. The starting defense in the JAX game averaged almost 6 years in the league with 3 rookies. Any excuses for the Texans youth & inexperience should be null & void for the 2005 season.
Old 12-29-2004   #47
MichaelMC
Rookie

I agree the fourth year everything should have time to come together. But this year there ave been a lot of scheme changes as well a personel, so you almost can't compare say the O-lines performace last year to this year because it is completely different. IMO you have to compare the O-line this year to 2002 and there is definately improvment. Capers has actually done a fine job building this team. I don't personaly like his or palmer's style of offence but it has been proven to work if the defense is top notch. That is why capers focuses on D more than O. His game plan is time of possesion. He wants the ball on our side for as long as possible, that means running the ball. While we may have an O that can put up Colt like days that is not how Capers and Palmer feel is our best chance to win. If you can keep the other team out of the endzone and without the ball most of the time you don't have to take chances in the air and on 4th and that is what they are working towards. 11 quarters anyone? I know now days a lot of people like to see a shootout and that is why they hate Capers so much, I understand believe me, but that does not make him a bad coach or Palmer a bad OC it is just not the style of footbal you like but give credit where credit is due....
MichaelMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004   #48
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeViKaN
I've heard the Seahawks coach Mike Holgren may want to come to H-town. Has Capers done enough to keep this from happening. I like him as a person but is he better for our future than Holgren? I have read over and over again in this forum about the Texans not receiving respect nationally. Well Holgren would instantly give us primetime respect. He said that one of the reasons he wanted to come south was that David Carr reminded him of Brett Favre. Who’s he? I do believe that Carr is not being used to the best of his ability and Holgren has proven to be a great QB couch and I like his offense better. One gripe that I have with Capers is I think that he is loosing the team. By this I mean, in our first year we consistently played aggressive and stayed in games. We never seemed to come out flat (exept Cinci), now we seem to be hit or miss. Kill or be killed and not able to play a full four quarters. Maybe with a couching change we can change that. What do ya’ll think?
I haven't read or heard any one saying they were dissatified with Capers other then a few angry fans when they would lose...I don't think they would risk getting rid of him and chance going backwards instead of expanding on the progess they have made...I have to admit, i was discouraged with him a while back also, but he has done alot for this team and i think he needs to stay around a bit longer before any judgemants can be passed on him to get rid of him....
shinerbock_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004   #49
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

funny how you mention all that Ibar (about draft picks and expansion pics) and come to the conclusion to Fire Palmer(again)... Lets recap the expansion picks we got how many starters for the offense on that draft? Well Glenn,Walker,Sharper,Coleman,Payne can play offe....oh wait that is defense starters .. and young and Boselli are perennial probowlers on our team , so our OL is set for a few more years . seems Palmer got the better end of the deal with the expansion draft.. yeah lets fire Palmer...(hope yall are noting all the sarcasm in this post) and on our drafts.I think Palmer has done above average on draft day, For every Charles hill there is a DD in the draft. Yeah Palmer could have drafted a little better (figure being Palmer is getting blamed for the team he might as well be the GM also)
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004   #50
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

we have a chance to go 8-8 with capers in just our 3rd year, we swept the jags, the titans, and held manning to a season low a few weeks ago, and we are talking about a coaching change ?? Yes great idea lets bring in new people get rid of all the new schemes we have been learning and start from 0 AGAIN ??? Are you crazy ? Capers is a good coach and has this team in the right direction !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004   #51
Human Highlight Reel
Rookie

Default Patience is a virtue...

We've got to be a little bit more patient the thing is when a city gets a team the fans are so excited and they expect big things from the hometown team or close to hometown team for some people.

They expect your team to go to the playoffs in their 2nd year, and make it to the Conference Championship their 3rd and to the Superbowl their 4th but that's not the case. Just be patient with Capers and Palmer right now. Give them another 2 seasons and see where we at from there at quickest the end of next season.

Me being a Big Time Texans fan, the last thing I want is Carr, Davis and Johnson to be flip flopping through a lot of offensive coaches right now. Right is a very important time for all of their growths. So just be patient right now and it pays off. Defense is playing tough, if we could just upgrade just a little bit more and inject a little bit more youth and talent there.

Then we WILL be heading to the playoffs before you know it. Defense wins Championships.

Warning to ALL teams, We have D-Rob and PB so please don't throw...
Human Highlight Reel is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read