Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-20-2007   #1
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 82785 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What would you have done

The Babin deal. The Pburnt deal. Carr. Everyone has gone back years after the fact and picked our worst moves apart. This is your chance to second guess THIS years draft. Lets limit the discussion to this years draft please. No trade talk. Just what we actually had available. Here are our picks for those not paying attention. And I'll start with the different selections I wanted to make. Make your picks here where you can actually come back a year later and say "We should have done this - I said so a year ago"

1 10(10) Amobi Okoye DT LOUISVILLE
3 9(73) Jacoby Jones WR LANE
4 24(123) Fred Bennett CB SOUTH CAROLINA
5 7(144) Brandon Harrison S STANFORD
5 26(163) Brandon Frye OT VIRGINIA TECH
6 9(183) Kasey Studdard OG TEXAS
7 8(218) Zach Diles ILB KANSAS STATE

Overall I like our draft. Not sure about adding an ILB. But it is the 2nd round. I wanted to address WR2 as bad as anybody but I don't think we did. If there is one glaring hole that would be it. I consider rounds 4-7 a crap shoot really. The most notable selection I would have done different is our 3rd round pick. We didn't need another WR3/WR4 on the roster. I would have liked one of three guys.

Michael Bush. I know we had Green by then. But let the two rotate. Bush has shown "IT" at the college level and was a preseason 1st round pick. He broke his leg (not a chronic injury) and missed the entire 2006 season. Green only has a few years left (even with the recent success of Dillon, Martin and Barber 30 year old backs just don't do well). I don't have much faith in Jones. We've already got a fast as lightning kick returner on our team. I see no reason to add another one.

The other guy I would have liked to have seen was Hunt. Speed became a question but he was a first or second round talent going into the combine. He doesn't juke much (sounds perfect for our system) and he may not be a home run threat, his 4.55 40 wasn't great but its more than passable.

Aaron Rouse. He was a disappointment in the 2006 season. But can we please get someone in either safety spot that the other team at least thinks about? I know we needed a WR... but Jones certainly isn't WR2. Aaron Rouse at least would qualify as a guy you could use as a SS2 and there were going to be more WRs in FA than there were safeties. There are questions about his attitude, which worries me... but maybe being picked in the 3rd round (instead of the 1st like many were talking preseason) will humble him a little.

Oh well... anybody else have any picks they would have like to done differently?

I should probably pick one guy... and if I had to it would be tough. I guess since we have Green on the roster it would have to be Rouse... but I'm not as high on him as I am Bush or Hunt. If you tortured me though I would go in this order.

Rouse
Bush
Hunt

Mike

Last edited by Texanmike02; 06-20-2007 at 02:09 AM. Reason: clarification
Texanmike02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What would you have done

Maybe I would've been wrong, but I would've taken Darryl Revis, CB (I think that was his name) in the first round. I believe Nelson (FS) was gone? There was also that possible trade with Denver that I would've definitely taken, if possible. After that, all I can say is that I would've been leaning heavily toward getting a FS on the first day. I've forgotten most of what I knew (or thought I did) on draft day.

PS-I thought that Revis would be the perfect CB teammate for D-Rob, because Revis is taller and not much less skilled at all. In fact, Revis will probably be better than D-Rob in 3 or four years.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007   #3
real

Reggie Nelson was still on the board..

I wouldn't have taken him nor Revis over Okoye at 10 though...
Old 06-20-2007   #4
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89251 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

With the Schaub trade, I would have gone Leon Hall in the 1st or Revis, depending on who fits the system better. We need another CB a lot more than we need another expensive D-Lineman.

Without Schaub trade:

1. Quinn
2. Dwayne Jarrett
3. Brandon Mebane/Markus Thomas
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007   #5
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226054 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, my move would have been to trade back with the Broncos to pick up a second and hopefully one other pick.

Then I would have taken Staley in the first and Kalil in the second.

That might not have been the sexiest thing to do and it wouldn't have set us up to win this season, but if Staley pans out (and he looks like a Kubiak kind of lineman) then this would have set us on the line.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007   #6
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89251 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

A trade down for a 1. Staley and 2. Jarrett would have been cool.
Old 06-20-2007   #7
real

Other than taking Carr, I really don't have anything to gripe about. I'll chalk up all the other moves to 'things just not working out'...
Sponsored links
Old 06-20-2007   #8
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

would have taken josh gattis in the 4th, cb in the 5th. gattis is a damn player. okoye and jacoby im cool with, im actually not gonna throw stones at the rest.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007   #9
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

The only thing I would have done differently, is look at CD or Safeties who have had some experience in the return game so Jacoby could concentrate on the wr position and put some heat on Mathis.
Old 06-20-2007   #10
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

The only thing I would have done differently this off-season was the Schaub trade and the signing of Green.

We already had an unproven QB in Rosenfels so giving up two No. 2 picks for another unproven QB (Schaub) and signing him to a huge contract seems a little foolish. I would have preferred Sage get shot at the job and saved the picks. This also leads back to the decision to give "he who shall not be named" the starting job out right at the beginning of last year instead of making it a competition. In a strait up competition last year, I think Rosenfels would have won the job. Truth be told though, this isn't that big of deal though. I think Schaub is going to be a very good QB for us, and if he isn't, we still have Rosenfels as a back up.

As far as Green is concerned, 30-year-old running backs are at the bottom of the hill headed downward. No reason to give him a multi-year contract when Dayne looked pretty darn good last year. This move really doesn't hurt us that much, other then salary cap space.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007   #11
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I would have taken Okoye at 10. Instead of taking Jacoby Jones in the 3rd though I probably would have drafted Jason Hill (I think that's his name), the WR from Washington State. Besides that though I can't really complain about the rest of the draft.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007   #12
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

can we revive this thread after TC? I want to see how they work out there and if they make the cut, then I'll have perfect 20/20 hindsight!

as an aside, I think we get a blue chip CB or Safety next draft and if Babin doesn't work out for us, can we please trade him for a 2nd rounder?
Old 06-20-2007   #13
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

Instead of signing Babin, I would have signed a playmaking FS by the name of Bob Sanders.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007   #14
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I refuse to state what I would have done in the draft until I've had at least half of a season of play to evaluate so I can decide what my decisons should have, I mean would have, been.
Old 06-20-2007   #15
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

I would have used the third pick to try to get someone who could step in and reasonably compete for a starting spot at either CB or FS. Instead, we got a WR who may not even be able to step in and make a material contribution this season.

Although I like the upside potential of JJ, my next choice for this pick would have been a WR with Div. 1 experience. It is my understanding that there were several good WRs that got drafted immediately after we made this pick.

I like the Amobi pick...we have a lot of holes and you have to take the best player on the board. It would have been nice to get help on the o-line or the secondary, but not if it means not getting quality at 10.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007   #16
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 82785 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
The only thing I would have done differently this off-season was the Schaub trade and the signing of Green.

We already had an unproven QB in Rosenfels so giving up two No. 2 picks for another unproven QB (Schaub) and signing him to a huge contract seems a little foolish. I would have preferred Sage get shot at the job and saved the picks. This also leads back to the decision to give "he who shall not be named" the starting job out right at the beginning of last year instead of making it a competition. In a strait up competition last year, I think Rosenfels would have won the job. Truth be told though, this isn't that big of deal though. I think Schaub is going to be a very good QB for us, and if he isn't, we still have Rosenfels as a back up.

As far as Green is concerned, 30-year-old running backs are at the bottom of the hill headed downward. No reason to give him a multi-year contract when Dayne looked pretty darn good last year. This move really doesn't hurt us that much, other then salary cap space.
With Sage I feel that you do have a proven QB. He is a proven backup... but he has also proven he is not a starter. Before the board merger I disected his performance in the Tenn game and found that alot of his throws weren't "on target" but rather nice catches. I also found that he rarely put recievers in a position to move after the catch. Wasn't it Jay Fiedler he wasn't able to beat out for a starting job?

With Schaub you have a guy who hasn't gotten a chance because of a huge contract in front of him.

Mike
Old 06-20-2007   #17
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone18 View Post
Instead of signing Babin, I would have signed a playmaking FS by the name of Bob Sanders.
Almost as good as Jabar Gaffney over that jobber Clinton Portis
Old 06-20-2007   #18
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Almost as good as Jabar Gaffney over that jobber Clinton Portis

Nice to see some of your guys around. I kind of miss our spars by the way apple
Old 06-20-2007   #19
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
Nice to see some of your guys around. I kind of miss our spars by the way apple
Missed you too man. Glad to see you back. Looking forward to your game recaps
Old 06-20-2007   #20
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

I was suprised by the pick of Brandon Harrison when Josh Gattis was still available. I really thought they were going to take Gattis.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read