Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-01-2007   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chronic: Texans' Robinson acting as mentor for rookie Bennett

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4853086.html

Quote:

"Fred was one of those guys I mentored in college, and I'm trying to do the same thing here," Robinson said. "I remember when I was a rookie, AG (Aaron Glenn) was out here helping me out after practice. I just try to come out here and watch the younger guys and give them any pointers I can because I once was in that situation."

It's the first time Robinson has really felt comfortable in that role as a Texan, and Bennett is appreciative. The fourth-round pick in April's draft is constantly on Robinson's heels. Bennett asks questions on the field and in the locker room. He sits next to Robinson in all team meetings, mimicking how Robinson takes notes and watches film.
Quote:

The coaches have noticed Bennett shadowing Robinson, and they like it.

"If Fred pays attention, he can learn a lot from Rob," Texans defensive backs coach Jon Hoke said. "A lot of the positive things like how to be a pro, how to take notes, how to work those types of things."

Unlike early in his career at South Carolina, the Texans' coaches are intrigued by Bennett's size. At 6-1, 195 pounds, Bennett has quick hands and good speed.

He broke up 24 passes and had nine interceptions during his college career. If he continues improving, Bennett could challenge Jamar Fletcher for the job at nickel back this season.

"He's long and he's tall, and its hard to find corners over 6 foot in this league that still have the feet and stuff to play out there," Texans coach Gary Kubiak said. "In our division, playing against a bunch of three wides, we need a player like that. He's been impressive.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007   #2
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75384 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Chronic: Texans' Robinson acting as mentor for rookie Bennett

Really, did none of you see this coming the minute he was picked out of SC?
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007   #3
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"He wasn't one of those guys that came in and said, 'I'm good. I know how to do everything. I don't need any help,' " Robinson said. "He wanted help and he got help. I respected that from a guy like him."
Too bad Jerome Mathis doesn't have that type of attitude.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 275466 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

These two CBs could really make a big difference for us, especially if our D-line can consistently apply some pressure to the pocket. Coverage is only going to be as good as the weakest player, and the longer they have to cover, the more likely that it will break down.

Is Bennett going for the 2nd slot against Faggins? Or is Petey penciled in until he fails to prove himself?
Old 06-01-2007   #5
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
These two CBs could really make a big difference for us, especially if our D-line can consistently apply some pressure to the pocket. Coverage is only going to be as good as the weakest player, and the longer they have to cover, the more likely that it will break down.

Is Bennett going for the 2nd slot against Faggins? Or is Petey penciled in until he fails to prove himself?
I seen a quote by Kubiak that said he was going for the nickel spot, insinuating that Petey has the CB2 locked unless he blows it. Personally I think Petey is a darn good nickel but not CB2 material, but I guess we have to wait and see. Either way, he will push Petey to play better, and the cream will rise to the top.
Old 06-01-2007   #6
real

Kubiak said that if Bennet continues to improve he could challenge Jamar Fletcher for the nickel spot.
Old 06-01-2007   #7
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Kubiak said that if Bennet continues to improve he could challenge Jamar Fletcher for the nickel spot.
Do you have a link? If you are drawing that conclusion from this article, you should notice that it is the writer's speculation, not a quote from Kubiak.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-01-2007   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Do you have a link? If you are drawing that conclusion from this article, you should notice that it is the writer's speculation, not a quote from Kubiak.
It was in the Houston Chronicle today, but I do not know how to link from the paper and too lazy to look for it on internet.
Old 06-01-2007   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans34Life View Post
Be nice if Dunte could have a little better season this year himself.
Old 06-01-2007   #10
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
You're right...my bad...

But in the end, it's really not relevant whether Kubiak said it or the writer...

The point is that as of right now he's the fourth or fifth corner...

No one knows how he'll play in pre-season AKA game situations...not even Kubiak..
Old 06-01-2007   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
You're right...my bad...

But in the end, it's really not relevant whether Kubiak said it or the writer...

The point is that as of right now he's the fourth or fifth corner...

No one knows how he'll play in pre-season AKA game situations...not even Kubiak..
We still be looking might weak on that side of the defense.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read