Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-27-2007   #1
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO
Default Exclusive "under 30" team no more

Slow news day, especially as it relates to football, but here's a little snippet from Saturday's chronic.

Quote:
....But perhaps the real key to improvement is in something that can't be measured or timed. One of the smartest things the Texans did this offseason is add an array of veterans who will add poise and presence to a locker room that has needed plenty of both.

In Shawn Barber, Danny Clark, Jeff Zgonina and Green, the Texans added 42 years of NFL experience. If your immediate reaction is they're going to be old and bad instead of young and bad, you're wrong. Coaches can teach some things, but a lot has to be passed from player to player. It's about setting an example and teaching lessons on poise and professionalism.....

..."Guys like that have been around and know how to win," Robinson said. "That's what we need. When they walk in here and tell you this team has a lot of talent, it makes you feel good. We now have to understand that we have to go out on Sunday and put it together."....

....In their original blueprint, the Texans didn't want a player who had celebrated a 30th birthday. This was one of many mistakes the previous regime made. The team was left with a void in leadership, with direction coming only from coaches and other young players. No more.....
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007   #2
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO
Default Re: Exclusive "under 30" team no more

I'll just add to this instead of another thread, since kinda a tangent. At the HT website, Shawn Barber gives a few minutes to answer the fan's questions. Here's the transcript.

Quote:
ric Anderson: How would you compare the Texans (talent wise) to the other teams you’ve played with? Be truthful now.

Barber: If you go down the roster, (the Texans) are just as talented as any team I’ve been with. The only difference is the history. They don’t have a history of winning yet. Until they get that, they won’t have that heir of confidence in them going into every week, every season.

When I was with the Eagles I think they went to the playoffs in six out of eight years and five of those years they won the division so you go into every offseason with the expectation of excellence there. That’s just something that has to be built over time. You can’t fabricate that, it’s done over the years.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 290612 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Leadership is one of those intangibles that can be very good (and bad, depending on the veteran) for teams. I think the Texans picking quality character guys with good work ethics will pay dividends in ways that we cannot precisely measure. But having a winning attitude that is geared towards team players is a sign that we're on the right track.
Old 05-27-2007   #4
Wolfiegrrl
Wonder Woman

Rep Power: 20 Wolfiegrrl is a Hall of FamerWolfiegrrl is a Hall of FamerWolfiegrrl is a Hall of FamerWolfiegrrl is a Hall of FamerWolfiegrrl is a Hall of FamerWolfiegrrl is a Hall of FamerWolfiegrrl is a Hall of FamerWolfiegrrl is a Hall of Famer
Send a message via AIM to Wolfiegrrl Send a message via MSN to Wolfiegrrl Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfiegrrl

I like what the front office is doing. Not only are they getting quality leadership style vetrans, they are getting the vets that have not suffered the injury bug or attitude issue. I think this team is going to shock a lot of media people this year.

Prepare to meet your DOOM!
Wolfiegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzO View Post
I'll just add to this instead of another thread, since kinda a tangent. At the HT website, Shawn Barber gives a few minutes to answer the fan's questions. Here's the transcript.
lol! You quoted the question I asked Barber. He gave a solid answer to the question. He seemed like an intelligent and outgoing person.
Old 05-29-2007   #6
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfiegrrl View Post
I like what the front office is doing. Not only are they getting quality leadership style vetrans, they are getting the vets that have not suffered the injury bug or attitude issue. I think this team is going to shock a lot of media people this year.
this is great, and I think we will continue to improve, but... this is also the type of thing that makes me wonder why we ever got rid of Sharper and Glenn. they gaves us something we can only hope these new veteran guys can. the lead by example presence. Locker room is great, but doing it on the field everyday is what pushes the young guys to excel. IMHO
Old 05-29-2007   #7
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
this is great, and I think we will continue to improve, but... this is also the type of thing that makes me wonder why we ever got rid of Sharper and Glenn. they gaves us something we can only hope these new veteran guys can. the lead by example presence. Locker room is great, but doing it on the field everyday is what pushes the young guys to excel. IMHO
Well, yeah, that's one of the legacies of the Casserly regime. They got rid of some guys that they should have kept.

Among other things.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read