Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-26-2007   #1
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Fox Sports AFC South offseason review

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6851530

The Good

Quote:
It's hard to put down the Texans' draft. They took a player most every team liked with the tenth pick, defensive tackle Amobi Okoye. A few mocks had Okoye going much higher

The Bad

Quote:
Naming Kevin Walter as your No. 2 receiver is an uninspiring omen

The Titans

Quote:
It's too bad they weren't still putting jerseys on draftees when it came to No. 50, because the commissioner could have draped a gigantic red flag over running back Chris Henry out of Arizona. With LenDale White nearing 800 pounds, Henry now has a chance to become an every down back in the NFL, yet the guy's major in college was philosophy

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007   #2
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fox Sports AFC South offseason review

"Jacksonville Jaguars
Draft review
Pretty much everyone and their mother knew the Jags were wild about Florida safety Reggie Nelson -- except, that is, for Lance Zierlein's source.
Check this out - Fox Sports ripped Houston SR 610 talk show guy Lance Zierlein for his call on the Jaxs pick. Wonder who Zierlein upset at Fox ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007   #3
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't catch that. Jags aren't on my radar much. Good find.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007   #4
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 30712 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Am I the only one in the world that is excited to see what Walters can do?

I really hope it pans out b/c it would reward someone who has been patient and who works hard.

Think about it, he was the #3 in Cinnci for a while behind Johnson and TJ. Then Henry comes along and had a better criminal background so that left Walters expendable. He then gets traded to Houston and told he could become the #2 only to have his dream dashed by Moulds coming in.

This is shaping up to be an interesting WR core. You got Johnson from the big boy school of Miami and then you got Walters from Eastern Michigan and Jones from Tulane.

I hope it works out, it would make for a good feel good story.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007   #5
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15056 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Am I the only one in the world that is excited to see what Walters can do?
Probably not, but I envision this as one of those deals where next Feb we will be asking ourselves what we were thinking going into the season with Walters as our #2.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007   #6
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
You got Johnson from the big boy school of Miami and then you got Walters from Eastern Michigan and Jones from Tulane.

I hope it works out, it would make for a good feel good story.

No, no, no. Jacoby Jones isn't from TULane University. He's from LANE College.

Of course, that makes your point even better.

The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007   #7
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I'm still really, really liking Okoye. I'm coming around to Bennett/Harrison. Still not fond of Jones, but if I assume that the Texans are done with Mathis, then this is an area that they need to get. The offense needs to start as close to the red zone as possible. I'm hoping Jones does that for the Texans.
Old 05-27-2007   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Horror View Post
I'm still really, really liking Okoye. I'm coming around to Bennett/Harrison. Still not fond of Jones, but if I assume that the Texans are done with Mathis, then this is an area that they need to get. The offense needs to start as close to the red zone as possible. I'm hoping Jones does that for the Texans.
by the tone in Garys voice I'm going to assume that Mathis is in fact done as a Houston Texan, making the Jacoby Jones pick even more compelling. because of his ability to change direction & not just rely on straight line speed I'm far more interested watching him every time he touches the ball, be it special teams, WR in the slot/end or reverse.

also the defense is gonna be much more stout & the need for a dynamic punt returner should be maximized controling field position. while the Okoye pick was a no brainer the Jacoby pick will be a head scratcher, like how did everyone pass on this kid? his profile is very similar to Terrell Owens as a prospect coming out of a small Tennessee college slipping into the 3rd rd.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007   #9
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Actuallly what I got out of all the talks about Mathis from Kubiak is that he expects/demands Mathis to show up for camp healthy and ready to play, that in no way suggest he is gone. who knows though, maybe I'm reading it wrong. I do know that you do not just replace a guy like Mathis. He has a rare combination of speed and vision and minimal wasted energy that are hard to come by. I hope he proves everyone wrong.
Old 05-27-2007   #10
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

The Titans, on the other hand, only seem to have taken a few steps back. They have lost receivers for Young to throw to, making him very one-dimensional. I think he will have a harder time running against the Texans this year with the new line. I think the Titans have lost ground in their running game. We'll see. The picked up Griffin, a great player, but will he be effective?

See, up to last year, I would have said the key to winning the AFC South is who can pass the ball and defend the pass. Kubiak is a running coach. I expect the Texans to be able to stop the running games in the AFC South, making the Colts, Titans, and Jags very one-dimensional. How will this work for the Texans? I would like to say it gives them the upper hand, but I'm not sure yet. Ask me after four games of season play.

The big question for the Texans this year will be whether or not they can win against the Jags, who will be very strong if they don't have a QB controversy. The Jags had a down season last year. I don't expect that to happen twice. They have Reggie Nelson, which will help the team against Indy and Tennessee, but again, it won't do much with Houston's run-first offense.

I am not so worried about Indy, believe it or not. They have lost many players, and although they have rookies waiting in the wing (especially at CB), I don't think they will be ready this year.

Overall, I think the road to winning the AFC South runs through Jacksonville. I think the Texans may look better than the Titans this year. The media will talk about what an impact not having Carr is, but in the end, the key acqusitions this year - Green and Okoye - will be what separates Big T from Little T.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read