Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 05-12-2007   #81
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls View Post
If you understood you would not even type the statement. No self respecting Texan could ever root for that turncoat team.
Don't ask don't tell ... we don't judge fans by state.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007   #82
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 128861 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

thanks for the pics guerillablack.

maybe i'm just young enough not to care, but for me it's good riddance. we survived a few years without football to be in a better situation. bud didnt take our memories, he didnt take our legends, he didnt take anything but a shade of blue and an oil derrick helmet. we still have the dome. we still have earl campbell. and because of lanier taking a stand, we now have the texans. we have reliant stadium. we have demeco ryans and andre johnson (they have pacman). the only thing we dont have yet is in the win column but i'm not naive enough to think that there wont be rough patches ... we're just getting them out of the way at the beginning. i love the old oilers and always will, but that team retired, they didnt move. the only thing that moved is bud adams, and that's Christmas in houston. the titans are a new team that are trying to impose a history that they dont know. any oilers fan old enough to walk should know who elvin bethea is, however he's a questionmark in tennessee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing Arrow View Post
You didn't chose the Texans the Texans chose you!
actually we did choose the texans and chose against bud. of course we like to reminisce about our old team, but we got what we wanted in bob mcnair and the houston texans.
Old 05-12-2007   #83
HARRYJ
A Great Pretender

Rep Power: 125 HARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
See deep in your heart you love the Titans. They are not your favorite sibling and you have fought on occasion but they are sill your big brother.

You didn't chose the Texans the Texans chose you!

With Young now on the Titans it's time to forgive and forget. Oiler fans, you are welcome to bring your tenacity back to the true Luv Ya' Blue. We understand why you were hurt and we welcome you back no questions asked.
I don't think I like the tone you have adopted here.

Thanks AzWhoopr, for my siggy!
HARRYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007   #84
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I may not think that ridiculous traffic and oppressive smog are things that make a town cosmopolitan (I really meant that it was much more cosmopolitan than I perceived before I lived there - not that it's just like Houston or LA). I went to NFL games, saw NHL games, saw big time SEC football every weekend....saw outstanding live entertainment...Nashville radio was outstanding as the rock scene was not on the back burner like I thought it would be (due to the huge country music scene) before I lived there. I didn't miss much living in Goodlettsville (about 15 mins north of the stadium) for a couple of years....would love to move back if I had the right job.
Of course that isn't what makes a city. The people, international culture, among other things make a city. Nashville is a nice American city, though.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007   #85
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Don't ask don't tell ... we don't judge fans by state.
RIGHT. Like I don't remember the anti-Texas statements you've made.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007   #86
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildressTitanMan View Post
The only reason the Texans haven't left Houston yet is no city is dumb enough to take them.

Seems your city was dumb enough to take the Oilers and Dud Adams.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007   #87
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls View Post
RIGHT. Like I don't remember the anti-Texas statements you've made.
You know I am better then that. If state hate gets sent at me I can show I can stoop to that level but I am never the first person to start it. I come on these board to talk football not BS stereotyping about the general location someone comes from.
Old 05-13-2007   #88
HARRYJ
A Great Pretender

Rep Power: 125 HARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respected

I have seen BA turn pretty quick but on the whole he is here to talk football.

Old 05-13-2007   #89
HARRYJ
A Great Pretender

Arrow, check your PM.

Old 05-13-2007   #90
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 122990 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know how accurate or up to date this is.

Quote:
Adams alienated many fans in Houston with his questionable decisions, including firing the extremely popular Bum Phillips and threatening in 1987 to move the team to Jacksonville, Florida if improvements were not made to the Astrodome. The city agreed to pay $67 million in renovations which included the removal of the iconic center field scoreboard. When the city refused to help finance a new stadium just a few years later, he moved the franchise to Tennessee for the 1997 season. After playing two season as the Tennessee Oilers, they were renamed the Tennessee Titans in 1999. The city of Houston is still paying back the debt from the renovations they made to the Astrodome in 1987.
that is kinda what I remember but the bold part is troubling to me (if it is true)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Texans

But like Earl said, Bud lost leverage to ask for a new stadium after a 2-14 season(esp after the city renovated), you just don't see it happening on any sports level, unless it is an expansion team.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007   #91
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

The 30 year bond associated witht he renovations is still on the books. Until 2017 I might add.
Old 05-14-2007   #92
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildressTitanMan View Post
Atypical actually.

Ignoring facts,not reading the post.

Bud:I want a new stadium.

Houston: No way,we're still paying for those luxury boxes & you took away our scoreboard.

Bud:Well then I'm leaving.

Houston:Good riddance.

Time marches on with no football.

Houston:what do we need to get a new football team?

NFL: A new stadium.

Houston: Oh snap

Now that's a sell out
Uhhhhhhh, thats revisionist history.............

(Circa 1988)
Hair Piece: I want to rip out the vaunted pinball machine and add 10,000 seats... or I am moving to Jacksonville..... Oh, and by the way, tax payers of Harris County are going to pay for it....
Mayor: Sure... Lets keep the Oilers here, rather than losing them to Jacksonville....

(Circa 1993/94)
Hair Piece: I want a new stadium and don't care that the renovations to the dome are not paid off yet..... Oh, and by the way, tax payers of Harris County are going to still pay for the renovation AND the new stadium....

Mayor Bob:
I don't think so....

Hair Piece:
Maybe I can use Drayton McClane or the Rockets Owner to partner up with me since I am already despised in this town...

Rockets and Astros Owners: Uh, no... You are flying solo... we're NOT going lie with a dog that has fleas...

Mayor Bob: Well I guess you better figure out a way to finance this deal without the taxpayers flipping the bill one more time...

Hair Piece: Well, no one in this town likes or respects me, so I guess I will have to take the team somewhere, where they want to hand-out corporate welfare...

Mayor McTooth of Nashville: Our citizens have no idea what they are being taxed on anyways... so c'mon bud. We will flip the entire bill for the stadium, you can have ALL of the revenue AND the city will gaurantee sell outs for the first 10 years...

Houston: Good Riddance!! (Nice to see you got that part correct)

Astros: We got our stadium deal done...
Rockets: We got our arena deal done....

Bob McNair: Well, I have $750,000,000.00 to buy a team if we can get a stadium deal done....(stadium deal in place using tax money from rental cars and hotels AND the HLSR kicking in)

NFL: Good job Bob, you now own the 32nd franchise in the NFL

Houston: *rejoices* Well, its been a few years without football, but the reward far outweighs sacrifice - especially knowing that Hair Piece has nothing to do with it....
Old 05-14-2007   #93
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200878 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

You know Bud's not getting any younger ... so who's taking over the team when he's gone ?

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007   #94
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know, but hopefully the new owner is nicer and gives us our records.
Old 05-19-2007   #95
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Currently the Texans hold the record for most sacks allowed in a season and the longest term of an expansion team not to at least make the playoffs.
Old 05-19-2007   #96
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Currently the Texans hold the record for most sacks allowed in a season and the longest term of an expansion team not to at least make the playoffs.
Also, considering the first expansion teams had more benefits than the Texans.
Old 05-19-2007   #97
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
actually you are mistaken. The Eagles hold the record for sacks given up for a team in one year (Cunningham and Jawarski). Carr holds the individual record...but he plays in Carolina now....lord help their poor linemen.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007   #98
HARRYJ
A Great Pretender

Carr won't be playing in Carolina unless that line get #1 all busted up and then they will deserve what they get!

Old 05-19-2007   #99
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
We, as Oiler fans, already have the Oiler records. The team died and nolonger exist. The Tennessee Turncoats are a different team living on another teams past. Thus they will never win a Super Bowl till they realize the wrongs we were done. Even when Duds contract with Satan is up and he passes away, that team is doomed.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007   #100
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Luv Ya' Blue!

Quote:
If you are going to try to use stats, you may want to do research. The Eagles hold the record for allowing the most sacks in a single season AND the Cardinals are second...

*EDIT* I see where Vinny corrected you about the Eagles, but he didnt even make mention that the Cardinals were second on that list.

Last edited by Texan_Bill; 05-21-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Texan_Bill is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read