Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 05-10-2007   #1
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Luv Ya' Blue!

Some images and an excerpt I found about these photos:

Now, for a bit of trivia. Those pom-poms were first handed out during the Miami Dolphins game that took place on Monday Night Football. Actually, that is the first and only time they were handed out for free. After that game you had purchase them. I think they were a couple of bucks, or something like that. Houston won that game 35-30.

However, I think the pictures above were taken during one of those pep rallys they had after Houston lost to Pittsburgh. Look at the first picture, the seats are empty, so it had to be during the pep rally. However I remember sitting elsewhere during the pep rallys (rallies, whatever). I do have more, let me look them up.

^^The better uniforms.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007   #2
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

The 1st pep rally was so cool. I was only 16 and my parents let me go with some friends (wow).

I don't know if the rally would have been better if we had been celebrating a win over the Steelers instead of a loss. A great team that really captured the personality of the city at that time.

Thanks for posting the pics!
Old 05-11-2007   #3
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

Cool pics. Were those taken with a digital camera?
Old 05-11-2007   #4
Twitch-Houston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290 Twitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respected

Man that's awesome.

I posted on the General's blog asking if Bud still owns the rights to the old Oilers logo. Mauck was saying how those old Oiler teams feel like a team without a city because Tenn. fans don't care about them and Houston has the Texans. I would LOVE to see the Texans try to get the rights to the Oiler logo and use those uniforms as their retro one. I know, I know it will never happen, but when Mauck said that, the General said that he would see what they could do about it. I don't know any other way that would embrace them more.

Ok I'm awake now....I'll stop dreaming.........nah that's no fun.

Houston Oilers...Houston Texans....Houston Toilers #1

-Twitch
Twitch-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Some folks said Houstonians did not get excited about football. The Luv Ya Blue years were fun yet stressful to live through. This town will explode when the Texans come into their own in the not too distant future.
Old 05-11-2007   #6
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 25465 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Sake - I seem to recall Bud retained rights to the name, colors, and history when he took his ball and (went to someone else's) home.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Bud owns everything associated with the Houston Oilers, including franchise records. He had no desire to give Houston football fans anything, which is why I hope his fat ass chokes on a chicken bone.

We have our memories, though. They can't take those away.
Old 05-11-2007   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

TO know him is to

Old 05-11-2007   #9
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

I was an Oiler since about the time I turned 10, back in 1976. I saw Earl run over people at the Dome. I earned a "Bruize Brothers" towl during the House of Pain era for being a loud and rabid fan. I went to the Steelers game that last season before the move. My buddies and I were envolved in fight with some Steeler fans. I harass Titans fans at ever chance I get when they call us old Houston Oilers fans bad fans "for letting the team go".

However, that team is dead. The Oilers no longer exist. I do not want to have their colors or logos reborn. The Texans are the Texans and have no ties to the Oilers other than having played in the same city. We have no right as Texan fans to Ernist Givens, Drew Hill, Warren Moon, Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, Bruce Mathews or ANY other Oiler player. We as former fans of the team can still have our memories of the bygone days, but today is not yesturday. We can still remember knocking on that door, but sadly that door will never be kicked in. We have a new team. A team that has made mistakes. A team that is still walking toward the door. We will make it to that door. We will knock on that door. WE WILL KNOCK THE ............DOOR IN.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007   #10
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls View Post
I We will knock on that door. WE WILL KNOCK THE ............DOOR IN.
For those to young to remember what O.A. "Bum" Phillips said
............... = SOB
Old 05-11-2007   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Great post, Overalls, and my sentiments, as well. I'll always cherish my Oiler memories, but that's all they are to me now. I don't live in the past, but instead look forward to the future as a Texans fan.

That last Steelers game was great, because we were outnumbered 2 to 1 (at least). That place was alive with terrible towels...until the Oilers came from behind to take the lead. I read that three home games in a row had over 50,000 fans at each game, and that was for an already known lame-duck team. Houston has always supported it's pro NFL teams, and anyone slamming us for that are just stupid.
Old 05-11-2007   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

I agree DB... Folks who say that Houston fans did not support our team are full of it.. I was there for every home game that last season (and it is true that some of those games were empty - but, again for a lame-duck team).. That stretch of 3 games in a row that had 50,000+ fans was awesome... I think the Oilers wound up 8-8 that final year... I remained loyal to the Oilers - right up until those trucks were packed and headed East on I-10...
Old 05-11-2007   #13
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

For a Texans fan board you sure do show allot of admiration for the Titans/Oilers organization. We appreciate it. In a way, allot of you are like the lost children to the Titans.

RIP Steve ... you showed us what a warrior truly is.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing Arrow View Post
For a Texans fan board you sure do show allot of admiration for the Houston Oilers organization.
I dont see one comment giving the tinnbreads any love....
Old 05-11-2007   #15
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I dont see one comment giving the tinnbreads any love....
A rose by any other name ....

RIP Steve ... you showed us what a warrior truly is.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007   #16
Twitch-Houston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290 Twitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I agree DB... Folks who say that Houston fans did not support our team are full of it..
Don't forget the rallies after losses that the Houston fans were famous for. I don't see other cities fans doing that. You know your fans are loyal when they show up in force after a big loss. I'm sick of Houston fans being called fickle etc. Hell even our own sports radio shows slam us.

I know the Texans are the here and now, but it's hard not to dream a little. The Oilers were around for most of my "remember when you were a kid" years and that's just hard to let go. Doesn't make you any less of a Texans fan because some day the players on the team now will be the "remember when AJ would go up and just steal the ball from the DB"; "remember when "the Force" would average 1.5 QB helmets knocked off a game" ah those were some good times..........Oh wait they're still to come!!! Bring on next season!!
Old 05-11-2007   #17
Twitch-Houston
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls View Post
the House of Pain era for being a loud and rabid fan.
I still have a House of Pain shirt in my drawer. I can't remember where I got it, but I'm not convinced it was an "officially" licensed shirt. Probably got it from the guy on the corner.....ha ha
Old 05-11-2007   #18
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch-Houston View Post
Don't forget the rallies after losses that the Houston fans were famous for. I don't see other cities fans doing that. You know your fans are loyal when they show up in force after a big loss. I'm sick of Houston fans being called fickle etc. Hell even our own sports radio shows slam us.

I know the Texans are the here and now, but it's hard not to dream a little. The Oilers were around for most of my "remember when you were a kid" years and that's just hard to let go. Doesn't make you any less of a Texans fan because some day the players on the team now will be the "remember when AJ would go up and just steal the ball from the DB"; "remember when "the Force" would average 1.5 QB helmets knocked off a game" ah those were some good times..........Oh wait they're still to come!!! Bring on next season!!
Good post Twitch... I think you pretty much summed it up there.

As far as radio hosts.... Let's see: Rich Lord from New York, Marc Vandemeer from the Northeast. Most of those guys weren't even here for the rallies.... The question is, who is a local guy? Lance, Bob Allen, who else??
Old 05-11-2007   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch-Houston View Post
I still have a House of Pain shirt in my drawer. I can't remember where I got it, but I'm not convinced it was an "officially" licensed shirt. Probably got it from the guy on the corner.....ha ha
That would be really cool if you could have had guys like Al Smith sign that shirt... How about Special Teams deamon and b/u LB Eugene Seale?
Old 05-11-2007   #20
whiskeyrbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing Arrow View Post
For a Texans fan board you sure do show allot of admiration for the Titans/Oilers organization. We appreciate it. In a way, allot of you are like the lost children to the Titans.

Your misconception is believing that any admiration of the memories of the Oilers has anything to do with Tennessee. We were rooting on OUR team in those days while Tennesseeians were still marrying their brothers, sisters, and cousins. Those memories happened here and ya'll just adopted them like some poor child in a bad divorce. You can rant and rave about Earls records being yours, the history of Moon and all of that.... BUT it's just words because you didn't live or feel all the emotions at the time. Hell you probably don't even know about the 2 AFL championships that the HOUSTON Oilers had. And to our satisfaction the real OILERS!!!! Campbell, Bum, Mauck wouldn't have anything to do with your lil football tribute that Bud "Azz" Adams orchestrated.
You ever heard the saying getting treated like a red headed step-child? Learn it and learn it well, because that will be the feeling down deep in the pit of your stomach after the games with us. And I will love every minute of it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read