Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-29-2007   #1
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Studdard as a guard, center, or swing guard?

I was wondering if yall thought Kasey Studdard was brought in to play RG so that Weary could transition to Center? On the other hand do you think Studdard might be our center fo the future or more as a swing Guard depth?
Thoughts?

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #2
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

probably guard depth, but without question a great pick at that spot
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #3
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going to broaden this topic to the whole o-line. Many have been talking about what great depth we have on the line. We should have - we have 15 lineman on the roster. Here they are, at the roster spots listed on the Texans site:

Center
Flanagan
Hodgdon
McKinney
White

Guard
Herrion
Jackson
Studdard
Weary
Pitts (listed as G/T)

Tackle
Bedell
Black
Frye
Salaam
Spencer
Winston

I consider White, Herrion, Jackson, and Bedell as camp fodder and take them out of consideration for the final roster. That leaves 11 players, and the Texans carried 9 o-lineman last year. Many teams carry 10, but let's assume they didn't learn that lesson last year.

Spencer starts out on the PUP list, then that leaves 10.

At this point that would leave:

Center: Flanagan, McKinnery
Guard: Pitts, Weary, Black, Studdard
Tackle: Winston, Salaam, Frye

It seems to me that either Black or Frye will be prepped to play guard - I don't know which it will be. It won't be Winston.

Hodgdon is the odd man out and probably won't make the team. If Spencer somehow makes it back, who gets cut? One of the rookies, Salaam, or Black?
Old 04-29-2007   #4
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd say Black is at the bottom of the depth chart...he's proved at KC that he is a matador.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #5
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
I'd say Black is at the bottom of the depth chart...he's proved at KC that he is a matador.
If that happens then that $1.2M signing bonus wasn't as cheap as many claimed. I still think the Texans overpaid for him; $1.2M may be cheap for an LT but he is nothing more than depth. If he doesn't even make the team...not good.
Old 04-29-2007   #6
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Last edited by powerfuldragon; 04-29-2007 at 10:50 PM. Reason: the other pic was funnier, but bad words...
powerfuldragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #7
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon View Post
You ruined my next article. I shall have to delay the release of the article until training camp.
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2007   #8
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
You ruined my next article. I shall have to delay the release of the article until training camp.
my bad...
Old 04-29-2007   #9
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
If that happens then that $1.2M signing bonus wasn't as cheap as many claimed. I still think the Texans overpaid for him; $1.2M may be cheap for an LT but he is nothing more than depth. If he doesn't even make the team...not good.
You must keep in mind that the salary cap increase makes a $1.25 million bonus the equivalent to the minimum bonus of yesteryear, unofficially.
Old 04-29-2007   #10
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
You must keep in mind that the salary cap increase makes a $1.25 million bonus the equivalent to the minimum bonus of yesteryear, unofficially.
Minimum bonus? I don't think Salaam got any bonus. The Chiefs offered Black the league minimum salary I think (about $600k?). The Texans may have had to pony up a bigger bonus to get Black here, but that doesn't mean he wasn't overpaid.

To me he's a league minimum guy until he proves it on the field. I could be wrong about that, but if he doesn't make the team I think I'd be right.

Anyway, I think the Black, Salaam. rookie question is moot, since Spencer won't be on the field any time soon.
Old 04-30-2007   #11
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
Minimum bonus? I don't think Salaam got any bonus. The Chiefs offered Black the league minimum salary I think (about $600k?). The Texans may have had to pony up a bigger bonus to get Black here, but that doesn't mean he wasn't overpaid.

To me he's a league minimum guy until he proves it on the field. I could be wrong about that, but if he doesn't make the team I think I'd be right.

Anyway, I think the Black, Salaam. rookie question is moot, since Spencer won't be on the field any time soon.
My bad, I was confusing "bonus" with "salary." As far as overpaying, its too early to say anything as mini-camp has yet to commence.
Old 04-30-2007   #12
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't be surprised to see Flannigan to be the one that gets cut if they have to. what would be the cap hit for that? i just dont see him as producing much and he was injured some last season. if nothing more all he is, is a veteran prescence to help the 'young' guys. that leaves us short on C but we're creative. jmho
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #13
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
I'm going to broaden this topic to the whole o-line. Many have been talking about what great depth we have on the line. We should have - we have 15 lineman on the roster. Here they are, at the roster spots listed on the Texans site:

Tackle
Bedell
Black
Frye
Salaam
Spencer
Winston

I consider White, Herrion, Jackson, and Bedell as camp fodder and take them out of consideration for the final roster. That leaves 11 players, and the Texans carried 9 o-lineman last year. Many teams carry 10, but let's assume they didn't learn that lesson last year.

Spencer starts out on the PUP list, then that leaves 10.

At this point that would leave:

Center: Flanagan, McKinnery
Guard: Pitts, Weary, Black, Studdard
Tackle: Winston, Salaam, Frye

It seems to me that either Black or Frye will be prepped to play guard - I don't know which it will be. It won't be Winston.

Hodgdon is the odd man out and probably won't make the team. If Spencer somehow makes it back, who gets cut? One of the rookies, Salaam, or Black?
I don't think we'll see Spencer this year. If we do, I worry that he will be rushed back and just re-injure himself. As for the rest of the list, none of the tackles strike me as someone who can man the tackle position. We need OT help, not just OL help. We have guards and centers for days, but no quality tackles. If we had quality tackles, the guard/center play would improve.

But hey, we can just keep throwing our QB to the wolves, I suppose. Maybe someday they'll figure it out.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read