Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-20-2007   #141
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 52595 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

honestly i dont see the reason for the outcry other than mario's financial status. those speeds arent smart, that's a given, but find an annonymous guy with a video of his corvette beating another car at those speeds and it's either cool or noone seems to care. the real stupid part is he's doing so in a new car that he's unfamiliar with, had he gotten into trouble it's very unlikely he could've saved it. the worst part is he had a passenger ... at those speeds you're a biggest danger to yourself, do it alone. from all those things though what i dont see is sustaining those speeds or racing. i dont see crowded roads. i dont see an unfit car hitting speeds it's not safe at (it's as easy for that car to drive 150 as it is a sedan doing 100+ on I-10). i dont see drugs or alcohol. i dont see a crosswalk or streetlight or anything looking residential.

i see those negative things all the time by random racers and hotshots and idiots. i've been first on the scene pulling a drunk out of a rolled taurus because both he and the car were incapable of those speeds and trying to dodge traffic (the driver obviously should never have been on the road regardless). i've had my fun at exactly mario's age ... my Z28 hit 150. a young man in a car with that kind of power is going to go fast atleast once to prove to himself that he's got power (money has absolutely nothing to do with it). just my opinion, but yes it's not smart, but i dont think it's a major deal or atleast not comperable to an actively violent or malicious act.
Old 04-20-2007   #142
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonhurricane View Post
What kind of logic is that? How many people do you think he put at risk by driving like that in the middle of traffic? I'll bet if that were your spouse, parents or kid driving next to him you wouldn't have thought it was just a kid "enjoying his new found wealth." Please, that is garbage.
Hurricane what's the fastest that you have driven ?
Old 04-21-2007   #143
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
honestly i dont see the reason for the outcry...
Change the name from Mario to Pacman and decide how you'd feel about it. Better yet, change the name to David Wesley and Bobby Phills.

Quote:
David Wesley was charged in 2000 with misdemeanor racing and reckless driving in the crash that killed his friend and teammate Bobby Phills. A Mecklenburg County Police report said Phills and Wesley were racing at more than 100 mph when Phills lost control and crossed into oncoming traffic and collided with a car. The report said both Phills and Wesley were driving "in an erratic, reckless, careless, negligent and/or aggressive manner", and the men were "involved in a speed competition". Wesley was also driving with a suspended license at the time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Wesley

Oh - and I don't think he was going as fast as 180.
Old 04-21-2007   #144
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually, I wouldn't care at all if Pacman was caught going 180. In fact, I just might enjoy that. Maybe we can go another year without seeing him on the field.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007   #145
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 52595 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm just going to stay out of this one.

Last edited by Scooter; 04-21-2007 at 04:32 AM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007   #146
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Change the name from Mario to Pacman and decide how you'd feel about it. Better yet, change the name to David Wesley and Bobby Phills.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Wesley

Oh - and I don't think he was going as fast as 180.
Exactly what came to my mind. That was a total shame and probably one of the reasons why this pisses me off.

I am not a fast car or bike type guy, but I do understand there is a culture out there. They need to get it off of the streets and do it where only themselves are put in danger.

Mario, I believe has the capacity to learn from his mistakes, but he needs to learn from others as well - Mathis, Roethlisberger and Winslow come to mind. The NFL should put this in their rookie curriculum if it is not in there already.
Old 04-21-2007   #147
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 223543 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
So you're contending he is going 53 1/3?
Contending--BS, observing a demonstrable fact. When the camera goes to the speedometer it is on about 60 mph right before the text comes up and says I am running about 120 mph. Anyone with experience can tell you that wasn't true at that point as they pull in between two cars nor was it true shortly before as the guy in the Subaru passes an eighteen wheeler at about 20 mph over its pace and then catches up to Mario. During the video Mario probably does blip up to 120-140 a couple times in very short stretches, but he ain't running a race with prolonged high speeds like some folks are acting.
Old 04-21-2007   #148
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 937 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Hurricane what's the fastest that you have driven ?

Thanks for asking...maybe 90 mph and never switching lanes in traffic like that - even then, that was a stupid thing for me to do; however, I sure has heck would never have put it on video!

The point isn't that he did it and apologized - I find it incredible that some on this particular topic find it encouraging and/or acceptable that Mario did this...hopefully he will learn his lesson.

I would like to see the tone of this topic if Reggie Bush was caught on a similar video...
Old 04-21-2007   #149
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanks for asking...maybe 90 mph and never switching lanes in traffic like that - even then, that was a stupid thing for me to do; however, I sure has heck would never have put it on video!

The point isn't that he did it and apologized - I find it incredible that some on this particular topic find it encouraging and/or acceptable that Mario did this...hopefully he will learn his lesson.

I would like to see the tone of this topic if Reggie Bush was caught on a similar video...
According to eSpin he can do it without even being in a car. He is the greatest thing since slice bread.
Old 04-21-2007   #150
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

My point is that I know what I did therefore if I call him dumb then I should say ... back when I was young and dumb I did something similar and he really needs to slow down because it's a different world now .
Old 04-21-2007   #151
TEXANSTAILGATER
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 TEXANSTAILGATER is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTEXANSTAILGATER is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Coming Soon To A Brass Pole Near You....

"The Annoying Skank From The Mario Video. Get Yer Tickets Now!"
Old 04-21-2007   #152
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 937 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My point is that I know what I did therefore if I call him dumb then I should say ... back when I was young and dumb I did something similar and he really needs to slow down because it's a different world now .
I am not going to start every post on this site with "I was an ***** when..."

Mario made a mistake and I am sure the staff is "educating him" on his behavior - 'nuff said; however, it is really odd to me that so many folks don't seem to find that type of behavior inappropriate...
Old 04-21-2007   #153
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
I am not going to start every post on this site with "I was an ***** when..."

Mario made a mistake and I am sure the staff is "educating him" on his behavior - 'nuff said; however, it is really odd to me that so many folks don't seem to find that type of behavior inappropriate...
Go drive around tonight . I think people expect Mario to be different than most 22 year olds because he's rich and plays football .

I bet in the muscle car era of the 60's and 70's the same thing happened .

Published: June 9, 1989
LEAD: Craig Biggio, a catcher for the Houston Astros, was arrested on a in Houston early yesterday and charged with driving while intoxicated. Biggio, 23 years old, a former star at Seton Hall University, was stopped at 2:15 A.M. after a patrolman said he saw him traveling at 50 miles an hour in a 35 m.p.h.

Craig Biggio, a catcher for the Houston Astros, was arrested on a in Houston early yesterday and charged with driving while intoxicated. Biggio, 23 years old, a former star at Seton Hall University, was stopped at 2:15 A.M. after a patrolman said he saw him traveling at 50 miles an hour in a 35 m.p.h. zone.

Biggio's arrest came a few hours after the Astros beat the San Diego Padres, 3-2, for their 12th victory in 13 games. The catcher, who did not play in the game, had a blood alcohol level of .013 and failed a sobriety test, the police said. A level of .010 or above is considered legal intoxication. Biggio was released on a $500 personal recognizance bond.(AP)
Old 04-21-2007   #154
houstonhurricane
All Pro

[quote=Honoring Earl 34;655071]Go drive around tonight . I think people expect Mario to be different than most 22 year olds because he's rich and plays football .

I bet in the muscle car era of the 60's and 70's the same thing happened .

Well, go look at all of the 19 - 22 year olds that are currently serving in various conflicts across the globe and have shown a great deal of maturity at ages at, or below, that of Mario. I expect all 22 year olds to drive in a manner that won't put me or my family at risk. He just happens to be famous, rich and is part of the team that we have a message board for...

However, there were a ton of nuts driving on 59 tonight, so this post is for them as well - slow down!
Old 04-22-2007   #155
2BCF
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13541 2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Go drive around tonight . I think people expect Mario to be different than most 22 year olds because he's rich and plays football .

(AP)
Mario also represents the franchise, and if he had killed anyone that night the press release would begin with the franchise's name attached to it.
I have no problem with him endangering himself if he chooses, just don't put others at risk.
Take it to a closed track and go nuts.
2BCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #156
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Ah - those crazy kids. What a couple of rascals.

Quote:
A woman was critically injured Sunday afternoon in a five-car collision in Pasadena that may have been caused by a street race, police said.

A man who was in the same car as the woman also was transported by LifeFlight to Memorial Hermann-The Texas Medical Center.

Two children, 7 and 13, who were in the back seat of that car, and three other persons, were treated at a hospital.

"We are not exactly sure what happened and are waiting for the investigation to be complete," said Vance Mitchell, a spokesman for the Pasadena Police Department.

Mitchell said the crash included two Ford Mustangs that may have been racing at Spencer Highway and the Sam Houston Tollway.

One of those drivers fled the scene in a gray Mustang.

Three other vehicles, including an ambulance, also were involved.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/4738413.html
Old 04-23-2007   #157
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

That's really sad to hear. Just think of the horrible publicity if one of them was on a sports franchise. Especially one that's so negatively publicized as the texans and the last year's selection...esp. if it was that player that caused it. man i hope that makes sense, i think i would fail at an english class right now.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #158
tbell ncsu
Rookie

i can't condemn mario for streetracing or even exceedingly speeding on i-40, or i would be a hypocrit. however, the texans have invested a great deal in him, and it was irresponsible of mario to do what he was doing. mario signed a contract, and he should adhere to that. secondly, mario should've been more considerate to his passenger's safety. she was obviously uncomfortable, and i would've let her out/dropped her off first. if anything, i would've ditched her for simply being annoying.

a couple of points and clarification:

1. the club dj announced mario is about to toss money into the crowd. imo, it's clear that mario did that as a publicity thing for the club, and it wasn't something he was doing spontaneously on his own accord. the club owner or a promoter likely gave mario that $800 and asked him to "make it rain".
2. the "trailer park trash" is indeed annoying, but it is out of line for you to stigmatize her in that manner, especially since you don't know her. she's a pitcher on our softball team, and wasn't some random "bimbo" mario picked up from somewhere. mario has been giving several people rides while he was in raleigh, and she just happened to be with him at that particular time.
3. the car is a lp640 (with 640 hp); not a gallardo.
tbell ncsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #159
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbell ncsu View Post
i can't condemn mario for streetracing or even exceedingly speeding on i-40, or i would be a hypocrit. however, the texans have invested a great deal in him, and it was irresponsible of mario to do what he was doing. mario signed a contract, and he should adhere to that. secondly, mario should've been more considerate to his passenger's safety. she was obviously uncomfortable, and i would've let her out/dropped her off first. if anything, i would've ditched her for simply being annoying.

a couple of points and clarification:

1. the club dj announced mario is about to toss money into the crowd. imo, it's clear that mario did that as a publicity thing for the club, and it wasn't something he was doing spontaneously on his own accord. the club owner or a promoter likely gave mario that $800 and asked him to "make it rain".
2. the "trailer park trash" is indeed annoying, but it is out of line for you to stigmatize her in that manner, especially since you don't know her. she's a pitcher on our softball team, and wasn't some random "bimbo" mario picked up from somewhere. mario has been giving several people rides while he was in raleigh, and she just happened to be with him at that particular time.
3. the car is a lp640 (with 640 hp); not a gallardo.

Thanks for adding your comments.

I've talked to someone who has talked to Mario about this, and he says that Mario realizes what he was doing was stupid and recognizes what a bad situation that the joyriding was and that he knows he needs to be more responsible in the future. And yeah, the person said that the girl in the car was a friend of Mario's and not a date. He said that Mario is a nice, friendly guy and it got him into trouble this time.
Old 04-29-2007   #160
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking

So, you know the bimbo (kidding).

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read