Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-28-2007   #21
jlam
Veteran

Rep Power: 139 jlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respected

Your two top picks from last year should be thanking their friggen lucky stars tonight. Okoye is going to make life a hell of a lot easier for Mario of course, but him commanding double teams and collapsing the pocket will free up even more space for Demeco to make plays from his MLB position.

I personally see this as one of the best picks the Texans have ever made. He was the one player I would have given up several picks to grab should he have fallen, but he didn't, and rightfully so.
jlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #22
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think Mario is lazy, as much as he is inexperienced. He hustled during the Colts game to force that fumble, which was a big play in that game. He also caught Vince Young from behind for a sack.

DeMeco said a big part of his success last year was the constant attention that Mario was getting from our opponents. I think a healthy Williams, combined with a year of experience, a chip on his shoulder, and a beefed up d-line will give him many chances to prove his worth.
Old 04-29-2007   #23
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
From where my seats are in section 119, I'm looking directly at him when the defense has its back to me. On more then one occasion, Mario was blocked by a TE only. Not a double team, T & TE. I mean TE only.

Frankly, from what I saw, the boys lazy.

Please tell me we aren't going to coddle this guy like we did DC! Bottom line is No. 1 picks produce.
I love lazy DEs that make open field solo tackles on Terry Glenn after Glenn made a 12 yard catch... chase Julius Jones down from behind on the opposite side of the field and behind the LOS, and lined up at LE and tackle Marion Barber on a run off LT (opposite side of the field)... and that was just the Dallas game. If you have a chance, watch a replay.
I saw a few of the plays you're referring to, and you are correct, he did get stood up on occasion by a TE. I am hopeful, and confident that practice and better technique will end those kind of plays...
Personally, from what I see, you decided right off the bat that you didn't want to like Mario, and now that bias colors all of your observations and makes it impossible for you to have an objective opinion...
That's not an insult either... I've posted it before, but I will post it again because I think it warrants repeating... you seem to be quite strongly influenced by confirmation bias...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
michaelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #24
Lucky

Rep Power: 141386 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's an article on Amobi from the Huntsville Times, that states the Broncos were trying to move up to the Redskins pick at #6 to select Okoye.

Quote:
Okoye said he didn't expect to be drafted by Houston, that the club had little interaction with him prior to the draft. However, that's not unusual.

Most "experts" had projected Okoye to be drafted somewhere between Nos. 6-16. Reportedly, the Broncos were eager to select Okoye but failed to complete a trade with Washington for the sixth pick.
So the trade that had the Broncos wanting Patrick Willis at #10 was a ruse. Good job by GM Rick Smith of getting his guy

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read