Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-24-2007   #21
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 338994 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
It's unlikely that one can last 30 years at a high level by being not very good.
Dear 76Texan,

I beg to differ.

Signed,

Charlie Casserly

Old 04-24-2007   #22
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Dear 76Texan,

I beg to differ.

Signed,

Charlie Casserly

I don't know if we need a new thread for Casserly.
Anyhow, I'm one who maintains that Casserly should be credited at least as an average GM. Personally, I give him a B-, I'm sure many people disagree.

Time line: Resigned somewhere around May 11th, 2006.
That is AFTER last year draft.
And AFTER we acquired: Cook, Rosenfels, Weaver, Kevin Walter, Jeb Putzier, Mike Flanagan, ND Kalu, Ephraim Salaam, Eric Moulds.
And AFTER we resigned Shante Orr, Dashon Polk, Troy Evans...

If we're gonna credit Kubiak for some of those moves, then we should do the same and give some bad raps to Capers and McNair instead.

Last I checked Robaire Smith helped the ennemy sweep us last year and Gaffney burned Dunta for a TD.

Todd Wade signed a 2 yr contract with the Skins for 6.2M including 3.5M guaranteed. Maybe Casserly went back there and works behind the scene!

Other guys still have job, including Morency who was elevated to starter (until the Packers change their mind, if they will.)

And here's an interesting BIO from his recent employer. Enjoy (or read and weep, your choice).

http://http://sportsline.com/cbssports/team/ccasserly
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007   #23
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
I don't know if we need a new thread for Casserly.
Anyhow, I'm one who maintains that Casserly should be credited at least as an average GM. Personally, I give him a B-, I'm sure many people disagree.

Time line: Resigned somewhere around May 11th, 2006.
That is AFTER last year draft.
And AFTER we acquired: Cook, Rosenfels, Weaver, Kevin Walter, Jeb Putzier, Mike Flanagan, ND Kalu, Ephraim Salaam, Eric Moulds.
And AFTER we resigned Shante Orr, Dashon Polk, Troy Evans...

If we're gonna credit Kubiak for some of those moves, then we should do the same and give some bad raps to Capers and McNair instead.

Last I checked Robaire Smith helped the ennemy sweep us last year and Gaffney burned Dunta for a TD.

Todd Wade signed a 2 yr contract with the Skins for 6.2M including 3.5M guaranteed. Maybe Casserly went back there and works behind the scene!

Other guys still have job, including Morency who was elevated to starter (until the Packers change their mind, if they will.)

And here's an interesting BIO from his recent employer. Enjoy (or read and weep, your choice).

http://http://sportsline.com/cbssports/team/ccasserly
Personally, I don't discredit Casserly for the talent evaluation part of his job. I think he probably did about as well as many GMs would have done. I put a great deal of blame on Capers and his staff for failing to develop some of the guys (not all). I think it's clear by now that at least a few of those guys were more talented than what was shown while wearing a Texans uni.

However, Casserly absolutely killed the team with the money side of his deals. I realize he may have been handcuffed a bit with trying to lure players to an expansion team, but still, he gave up way too much in the Buchanon deal. He gave up way too much to acquire Babin. He spent way too much on Wade. He spent too much on Greenwood. He gave too much money to Gary Walker at the end of his Texans career. I don't recall the specifics of the Robaire Smith deal, but I'd be willing to hazard a guess that he overpaid him as well.

CC had a willingness to gamble on a guy, which isn't entirely a bad thing. The difference when you do that with a Capers-led staff on an expansion team with little surrounding talent vs. when you do that with a team that has an established base of talent is monumental.
Old 04-24-2007   #24
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Personally, I don't discredit Casserly for the talent evaluation part of his job. I think he probably did about as well as many GMs would have done. I put a great deal of blame on Capers and his staff for failing to develop some of the guys (not all). I think it's clear by now that at least a few of those guys were more talented than what was shown while wearing a Texans uni.

However, Casserly absolutely killed the team with the money side of his deals. I realize he may have been handcuffed a bit with trying to lure players to an expansion team, but still, he gave up way too much in the Buchanon deal. He gave up way too much to acquire Babin. He spent way too much on Wade. He spent too much on Greenwood. He gave too much money to Gary Walker at the end of his Texans career. I don't recall the specifics of the Robaire Smith deal, but I'd be willing to hazard a guess that he overpaid him as well.

CC had a willingness to gamble on a guy, which isn't entirely a bad thing. The difference when you do that with a Capers-led staff on an expansion team with little surrounding talent vs. when you do that with a team that has an established base of talent is monumental.
The points that you mentioned, I agreed with for the most part. I actually gave him a C, borderline C+, but with the works he done in the last off-season, I bumped his grade to B-.

Every GM would have to go with the HC's wishes at times.
Ya give the guy a job, he asks for certain resources, got to provide them for him to do the job.

If not for the 2-14 season, nobody would be calling for Casserly's head.
The Texans were moving along better than most can expect from an expansion team.

What I'm thinking is that Capers probably had a certain conversation with both McNair and Casserly and gave them his assertion: "Lemme do it with the guys I want" and you can hang my head if I don't get it done.

If we look at the all-time trades of the Texans, overall, they came out ahead more often than not. And then there were those lower round picks who exceed the normal curve.

I think we overemphasized the cap problem a little bit.
Sure, we were among the biggest spenders. But you gave the reason right there.
It's not Casserly's fault that Capers took a 7 win team, with added power, and came up with two wins.
Old 04-26-2007   #25
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting thing from the GM presser:

Quote:
(on improving the pass rush in this offseason) “I think one of the things that you’re not factoring into the equation that I put a lot of stock in is the addition of (defensive line coach) Jethro Franklin and (senior defensive assistant) Frank Bush working with the defensive linemen that we have already. I think we’re going to be a better group with those two guys working with them. I think (DE) Mario Williams as a healthy player this year will be better and create more pass rush. But I don’t think, that is an area obviously that we have looked at.”
Ew. A couple of thoughts:

1. Kinda throws Karmelowicz under the bus a little.

2. You know, I am not terribly comfortable when the GM talks about coaching being an upgrade to a position. Imagine that. [Carr, offensive line, Pbuch, oh the horror].
Old 04-26-2007   #26
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Not necessarily. With Karm's health concern, you got new guy(s) in. Got to welcome them. After all, the two youngsters Maddox and Thomas Johnson were performing quite decent last year.
Old 04-26-2007   #27
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 338994 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If we look at the all-time trades of the Texans, overall, they came out ahead more often than not. And then there were those lower round picks who exceed the normal curve.
I don't know, man...we got hosed in the Buchanan deal, IMO.
Old 04-26-2007   #28
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I don't know, man...we got hosed in the Buchanan deal, IMO.
that is just one incident.
Old 04-26-2007   #29
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed.

Yeah, and there was only one iceberg.

Signed,
Captain Edward John Smith
Old 04-28-2007   #30
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Amobi just added another first-rounder to the defensive line. Can you imagine the "talent" on the line (front seven) right now?

Babin - first-rounder
Amobi - first-rounder
TJ - first-rounder
Mario Williams - no. 1 pick.
Demeco - second rounder

This is the x year in a row when the Texans drafted defense first. This signals a few things to me:

1. I think it's safe to say TJ is a bust. JMO.
2. Defensive Coordinator is in the hot seat to produce. He has one of the most talented group of defensive linemen in the NFL.
3. Defense had better stop the pass, because the defensive backs are probably not getting much help this year.
4. LT? Maybe something in the third round, but I doubt it...
Old 04-28-2007   #31
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Agreed.

Yeah, and there was only one iceberg.

Signed,
Captain Edward John Smith
I don't think that PB was the one who sank the ship. If anything, it would be Capers wanting Riley at LT and his melt down with Coleman that had more of an effect on the season. And injuries.

At any rate, PB played decently for the Bucs last year and was resigned for 2 years at $5M in March. It would be strange for anybody to take a bust and give him that kind of money.
Old 04-28-2007   #32
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If anything, it would be Capers wanting Riley at LT
Every time I see the name Riley, I get nauseous. That was an all time huge error in judgment.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #33
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffi2 View Post
Every time I see the name Riley, I get nauseous. That was an all time huge error in judgment.
It was huge alrite, especially when you heard he said he can eat now that he's now longer in NO, where they wouldnt let him.
Old 04-28-2007   #34
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1346 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

Just curious... how much input did Fangio have in those bad draft picks?
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #35
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolaid Time View Post
Just curious... how much input did Fangio have in those bad draft picks?
ouch. that's a question i've never considered ... my head hurts just thinking about it. i cant really pinpoint any "fangio" picks, but i'm willing to bet that he was one lobbying for babin.
Old 04-28-2007   #36
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you don't count the time that we traded down with New Orleans who took a Pro Bowl tackle with our pick.

Or the time we gave up tons of draft picks to trade back into the 1st round for Babin.

The only time we've ever gotten over was by trading Drew Henson to Dallas.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #37
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post
If you don't count the time that we traded down with New Orleans who took a Pro Bowl tackle with our pick.

Or the time we gave up tons of draft picks to trade back into the 1st round for Babin.

who the other team got for the slot we drafted Babin?

but really, we need to go back and analyze each and every move the Texans made to come up with the final score.

from the expansion draft (a meager pool at that) and so on.
like I said before, maybe we ought to have a new thread for Casserly.
Rid of the misinformations and yeah I hate his hair or the way he speaks.
And truly rate him as what he did right and wrong, without the influence from the national media whom we all know, is all about sexy and hypes.
Old 04-28-2007   #38
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

i'm at a loss, were there any other significant trades in the capers era? i only remember henson, babin, travis johnson, and buchannon. henson's the only one that actually worked and that one was 90% luck.

hindsight:
babin ... ben troupe, randy starks, bo schobel
buchannon ... stanford routt, andrew walter (although i could throw darts and get better picks ... totupu, thurman, cody, darrent williams, & khalif barnes available)
travis johnson ... OBVIOUSLY derrick johnson. this one still stings, and will for atleast 5 more years.
Old 04-28-2007   #39
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
travis johnson ... OBVIOUSLY derrick johnson. this one still stings, and will for atleast 5 more years.
Jamaal Brown is twice the player that Derrick Johnson is.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #40
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jamaal Brown is twice the player that Derrick Johnson is.
You know for all the crap that was said ... you're probably right . I was leaning toward 1.5 times better .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read