Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > The Blazing Arrow "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The Blazing Arrow "Rivalry Talk" Rival fans & lighthearted smack talk. Keep it light and leave the mean spirited stuff at home please.

Old 04-16-2007   #1
dskillz
Veteran

Rep Power: 27 dskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performer
Default Vince is screwed

from - http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/in...&news_id=55690

Quote:
Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young will be on the cover of the EA Sports Madden 2008 video game.

A source with knowledge of the situation confirmed Young’s gracing the cover of the game to The City Paper. Efforts to reach EA Sports were unsuccessful on Monday.

An official announcement is expected on Tuesday and Young will appear on "Jimmy Kimmel Live" as part of the kickoff promotion for the newest version the popular NFL video game.

Of course, appearing on the cover of the game has produced a “jinx” of sorts in recent seasons.

Several players, including former Titan Eddie George, have graced the cover, then succumbed to injury or ineffectiveness in the season they were on the game’s front.

George was on the cover during the 2001 season, the year he suffered through a toe injury. In 2000, George had rushed for a career-high 1,509 yards. Because of the injury, George managed just 939 yards in 2001 as the Titans slumped from 13-3 to 7-9.

Other prominent players to fall victim to the Madden Curse include quarterbacks Donovan McNabb and Daunte Culpepper and last year’s cover man Shaun Alexander.
Young apparently will also appear in commercial spots for the game that will be aired during coverage of the NFL Draft.
dskillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

VY is the only guy that could break the Madden curse.
Old 04-16-2007   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 396588 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

wow...dude is just daring fate, 'eh?

I gotta' say, though, that as a skeptic, I don't believe in any of this "Madden curse" nonsense. So no matter what happens, some part of me will benefit. Either he fulfills the curse and we benefit as Texans fans, or he breaks the curse and finally puts a stake in it (making my skeptical side happy).
Double Barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Draft Vince Young and your franchise gets TWO Monday Night football games and your Franchise is on the cover of Madden.....well, at least we got some dead money to remember Carr by.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 396588 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Man, I didn't know that the Titans are getting TWO MNF games!!
Double Barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007   #6
dskillz
Veteran

Rep Power: 27 dskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

I gotta' say, though, that as a skeptic, I don't believe in any of this "Madden curse" nonsense. So no matter what happens, some part of me will benefit. Either he fulfills the curse and we benefit as Texans fans, or he breaks the curse and finally puts a stake in it (making my skeptical side happy).
I didn't believe it either until McNabb. 6 years in a row with injured coverboys and then Alexander last season! Maybe VY will escape it, but it is a good sidestory for the season.
dskillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007   #7
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38657 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Man, I didn't know that the Titans are getting TWO MNF games!!
MNF is the riff raff night, Sunday night is the place to be!
Old 04-16-2007   #8
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

VY is going to struggle next year even if he wasnt on the cover. Saying the Titans havent done anything is an understatement.

Brown and Henry are gone so they have a 300 pound Lendale White so no running game.
Lost Bennett and Wade so a couple of unproven, young guys have to try and play.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007   #9
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Draft Vince Young and your franchise gets TWO Monday Night football games and your Franchise is on the cover of Madden.....well, at least we got some dead money to remember Carr by.
I'll take a DE over a QB...Kearse or Peppers over Brady or Manning
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007   #10
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

Quote:

Look at the history it is not good. The only player to kind of not get it was Eddie George and then there was that fumble in the playoffs for a guy who never fumbles that cost the Titans there season.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007   #11
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Why yes, makes perfect sense:
Kearse and Peppers combined Super Bowls: 0 (lost 3 though, Kearse twice, Peppers once...wasnt Kearse a rookie in the "one-yard" super bowl and with Philly for theirs???)
Brady and Manning combined Super Bowls: 4

And Brady beat both Kearse and Peppers I believe.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 04-16-2007   #12
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy View Post
Why yes, makes perfect sense:
Kearse and Peppers combined Super Bowls: 0 (lost 3 though, Kearse twice, Peppers once...wasnt Kearse a rookie in the "one-yard" super bowl and with Philly for theirs???)
Brady and Manning combined Super Bowls: 4

And Brady beat both Kearse and Peppers I believe.
I mean, just a coincidence, but Brady had Richard Seymour, Teddy Bruschi and a generally good supporting cast. Manning had Dwight Freeney and a D that stepped up quite a bit during the playoffs. The NFL's number one offense? Lost to the Bears.

Look at premier DEs.
Derrick Burgess
Julius Peppers
Jevon Kearse
Dwight Freeney
Simeon Rice
Michael Strahan
Jason Taylor

Most have gone to the Super Bowl.

Last edited by mexican_texan; 04-16-2007 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-16-2007   #13
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I mean, just a coincidence, but Brady had Richard Seymour, Teddy Bruschi and a generally good supporting cast. Manning had Dwight Freeney and a D that stepped up quite a bit during the playoffs. The NFL's number one offense? Lost to the Bears.
Brady leading a game winning drive against Peppers, i guess, had everything to do with Seymour and Bruschi. Bruschi did make a couple of TD catches in super bowls, however.

And Adewale Ogunleye of the Bears is a slouch I guess. Or maybe he lost due to the fact that he had Grossman and not Manning.

You build a team around a QB, unless your the Ravens (who were led by a MLB, not a DE) of course...they are like the Oakland A's, they make no sense but they win. Teams led by defensive-ends dont win Super Bowls anymore. (keyword, 'anymore')

Quote:
Look at premier DEs.
Derrick Burgess
Julius Peppers
Jevon Kearse
Dwight Freeney
Simeon Rice
Michael Strahan
Jason Taylor

Most have gone to the Super Bowl.
Yes, they've all gone and only Rice has won one. I'm more intrested in winning a super bowl, not just going.

Old 04-16-2007   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wow, just wow.

385 of 385 coaches just said you are insane if you make that choice. C'mon, it is one thing to say you would take Freeney or Peppers over Vick, Carr, stretch it even to Hasselbeck or Romo but none would elect as you suggest, unless by chance you meant Eli and even then they would take him over Kearse.
Old 04-16-2007   #15
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
You build a team around a QB,
No way. There's a reason it took Manning until now to win a ring: he finally got a D that stepped up in the playoffs. Before that, Pittsburgh, New England, Tampa Bay, and the Ravens were all at the top of the league as far as Defense. Only the Rams won by their offense, and their D wasn't that bad.
Old 04-16-2007   #16
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Wow, just wow.

385 of 385 coaches just said you are insane if you make that choice. C'mon, it is one thing to say you would take Freeney or Peppers over Vick, Carr, stretch it even to Hasselbeck or Romo but none would elect as you suggest, unless by chance you meant Eli and even then they would take him over Kearse.
I'd say there's a better chance you get a Carr or an Eli when you get a QB than you would get a Courtney Brown or Jerome McDougle at DE in the draft. There are a lot of factors that go into the play of the QB: the line play, the recievers, the running game, the hair, whatever, but a DE like Reggie White can take over any play any time.
Old 04-16-2007   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No way. There's a reason it took Manning until now to win a ring: he finally got a D that stepped up in the playoffs. Before that, Pittsburgh, New England, Tampa Bay, and the Ravens were all at the top of the league as far as Defense. Only the Rams won by their offense, and their D wasn't that bad.
Um, take Manning off that team and they win no ring. Your logic escapes you young vulcan.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007   #18
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

The fact that the Steelers, New England and Tampa when they won had Pro-Bowl QBs served no relevance to their Super Bowl victory???

And the Chicago defense was far superior than Indy's, it's just one team had Grossman, the other Manning.

You build a team around a QB, but you will need a defense to win, it's cliche but true.

Old 04-16-2007   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Um, take Manning off that team and they win no ring. Your logic escapes you young vulcan.
More like young Ewok.
Old 04-17-2007   #20
WaywardTexanFan
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to WaywardTexanFan Send a message via Yahoo to WaywardTexanFan

I personally think that this is great news and may the curse continue for 1 more year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > The Blazing Arrow "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read