Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-16-2004   #21
pek281
Rookie

Rep Power: 17 pek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden cover

Lol... it's getting deep. Sounds like we're ready for some dang football !!
pek281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #22
Dhedluk
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan
Why do we draft Gunslinging Quarter backs when all we can do is dump it off to DD or audible to DD.

Maybe that's how Caper's got his D to look so good... draft all the new QBs then bench them.
Lets call it the "If you can't beat em, draft em" theory.
Old 12-16-2004   #23
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
Jeeeeesus! And people say I'm negative?
I was more taken by this one:
Quote:
if they don't win,
this board is going to light up with all those 'cup half/fullers' making our
kind of preminition posts look like nursery rhymes--sit back, enjoy the
games and smile..it's goona be sweet!
Almost seems to be hoping for failure so someone can say I told you so.

Quote:
For you ex-Oiler fans that were around during Mike Munchak, Bruce Matthews, Carl Mauck, Dean Steinkuhler days, you KNOW the value of a good offensive line
A couple of different eras there. The Munchak, Matthews, Steinkuhler line was an outstanding line with Pro Bowl talent.

The LYB OL with Mauck, Fisher, Schumacher, Reihner, Towns, Hayman, Bob Young were a bunch of overachievers. Bum got them believing in themselves and then a guy named Earl made them all look good. They added Leon Gray (a legit Pro Bowler) in '79 but for the most part they were a big time blue collar group which made Earl's accomplishments all that more amazing.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #24
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

and lord i wonder why i'm so depressed after getting off these message boards !!!! I can only imagine why ........
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #25
Texan Gal 312
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
I was more taken by this one: Almost seems to be hoping for failure so someone can say I told you so.

A couple of different eras there. The Munchak, Matthews, Steinkuhler line was an outstanding line with Pro Bowl talent.

The LYB OL with Mauck, Fisher, Schumacher, Reihner, Towns, Hayman, Bob Young were a bunch of overachievers. Bum got them believing in themselves and then a guy named Earl made them all look good. They added Leon Gray (a legit Pro Bowler) in '79 but for the most part they were a big time blue collar group which made Earl's accomplishments all that more amazing.
AJ - could you please post your 'Palmer Job History" again. I can't find the one from a week or so ago. Maybe Vinny can make it a sticky and just leave it at the top of the message board
Texan Gal 312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #26
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think digging up that thread is the best idea but I think this is what you are after:

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...lmer#post57069
Old 12-16-2004   #27
Texan Gal 312
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
I don't think digging up that thread is the best idea but I think this is what you are after:

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...lmer#post57069
thanks for the help.
Texan Gal 312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #28
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I appreciate the input and have a lot of info/fiction to decifer. I am not down on the Team as a whole I just wanted to see where others stood on the question. I would stand behind the Texans if Micky Mouse was QB and he is over 50.

I believe that Carr does not have the time, he has problems reading the defense, audibles to the run in his 10% of the time, and needs to lead his awfence (kinda a cross from awful and offence) down the feild. I believe he is still in the learning stage and needs good linemen to block. He might also be hurt due to his ability to resort to the sidearm throw.

I believe that Dom has trouble with reading the feild, the playclock, the replay, and taking advantage of key situations. (point being the Tennessee game when Samari Rollle was 1 on 1 with AJ and had a hurt leg but could not get the attention of Jeff Fisher. It really did not matter cause we called a time out. I saw this from the Bull Pen after several beers. Now why can't Dom read it with eyes all over the stadium.

This season might be looked at as over but we have 3 more games and I want to win every one of them. So guys get your heads out in the sunshine and make some good decisions.

I am Joe Texan
Thats what I do
Old 12-21-2004   #29
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
I was more taken by this one: Almost seems to be hoping for failure so someone can say I told you so.

Wow! You bring up memories. But a lineman named Fisher? Remind me more about him. Also, how many of those you name has 2 years pro (Pitts) and one year as does Wand? I agree that it hurts to see a 6'7" 327 pounder go *** over helmet but I still think he will do better as he develops arm strength. Notice the round we got both these guys in. It would be nice to spend a first on a stud left tackle but dline is my projection. Besides the guy that went high in first round as tackle on '04, could not even get on the field as the back up.

I am waiting to see if we stick with this blocking scheme in 2005.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004   #30
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan
Why do we draft Gunslinging Quarter backs when all we can do is dump it off to DD or audible to DD. For a team to get lucky enough to get AJ is a miracle alone. But if you have him why can't you throw it to him at least once downfeild during a game. It just seems to me that we draft these QB's with records for passing But Dom continues to preach the Run and dump pass and punt. I keep hearing about there will be some changes but it is always the same ole same ole.
Think of Troy Aikman's role. That approximates what Capers wants Carr to do.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004   #31
aj.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy
Wow! You bring up memories. But a lineman named Fisher? Remind me more about him. Also, how many of those you name has 2 years pro (Pitts) and one year as does Wand? I agree that it hurts to see a 6'7" 327 pounder go *** over helmet but I still think he will do better as he develops arm strength. Notice the round we got both these guys in. It would be nice to spend a first on a stud left tackle but dline is my projection. Besides the guy that went high in first round as tackle on '04, could not even get on the field as the back up.

I am waiting to see if we stick with this blocking scheme in 2005.
Ed Fisher....all I remember was that he played Guard and I think he wore #63 or maybe it was #61...I get him and Reihner mixed up. Anyway, Towns, Schumacher, and Reihner were all young bucks on that line. I think Towns may have started at tackle as a rookie. I can't remember... Mauck, Young, Fisher, Hayman, and Gray were all a little older from what I remember. Gray was in his prime ~ 5th year? I can look them up later if I can find my old Oilers media guide...

They will keep the blocking scheme in '05. I'm confident it will get better.

Last edited by aj.; 12-22-2004 at 06:17 AM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read