Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-15-2004   #21
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

It's all good and you make good points. I just wish I saw more in Carr when he was under pressure. If he was a stock, I'd be selling. I've lost money this way before though.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #22
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

There are just too many variables to accurately compare these guys and draw this kind of conclusion. You can compare Carr's rookie year with McNair's rookie year but wait, McNair didn't play his rookie year, he sat. So instead you compare Carr's first year as the starter with McNair's first year as the starter to get a more accurate picture but wait, that doesn't really tell the tale either. McNair had the benefit of sitting that first year and by the time he started he'd been well versed on the offense and had a bunch of time to practice with their team.

Both being QB's makes it easy to find some numbers that can be compared and constrasted and since they NFL keeps track of every darned number possible you can find a favorable comparison somewhere between many players who are really far apart. Like Vinny mentioned with Davis and Smith you can find a way to compare the two and make them look much closer than they really are.

The one thing I don't ever see Carr doing today is consistently getting it done when the pressure is on. Not the pass rush (though that's also a form of pressure) but when the stakes are very high. Drive down the field to win the game, keep a drive alive when adversity has jumped in there and pushed your team back into 3rd and long, rally the offense to come in and get one more drive to put the other team two scores back instead of just one. I don't see him do any of those things yet. Maybe he does one day but he doesn't do it now. McNair does that.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #23
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Our best players at the skill positions only have up to 3 years max at the pro level.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #24
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I just wish I saw more in Carr when he was under pressure.
I wish I did as well. I thought we were seeing it come together for him earlier this year. Don't know why he has regressed these last few weeks or if there is any merit to the injury rumours, but the step he had taken in the 1st half of the season was much bigger than now for the season as a whole.

Is it just me or is our OL capable of only doing one thing per game well--either pass blocking or run blocking? Seems like the better the run game goes, the less time DC has--which should be the opposite of true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
There are just too many variables to accurately compare these guys and draw this kind of conclusion.
Man I really need to work on my disclaimers or something. Wasn't trying to draw a conclusion about either McNair's career or Carr's future--more of a things to make you go hmmm? thread.

By the way, for the Carr isn't a winner, won't battle back, isn't clutch folks (which I am not predicting either way yet--hopefully adequate disclaimer) many of the same things were said the 1st few years for Aikman (not a prediction of future Carr accomplishments--hopefully adequate disclaimer #2) up in Dallas. Kind of self-defining IMO--when a team is losing, the QB isn't a winner--once the team starts winning, the QB is a winner.
Old 12-15-2004   #25
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

A few weeks ago I just came to the conclusion that I am going to have to be patient. We all want a team that is at the tip of everyone's tongue at the end of the year. We want to have everything in place for some dynamic playoff run next year. We want to see our line hammer people and we want our QB to light teams up and make them pay. We are going to have to wait to see that kind of stuff.

If you look at the Steelers they were very average last year. Some consider 6-10 below average actually. Look at them today. 12-1 with a rookie QB. If our line can come together and we get another back to help us out as Duce Staley helped out the Steeler running game (and we get a multi-task TE) I think we can have a big year next year. If the Steelers can do it....we can. They don't do anything special in the air. They just pound the ball and play good defense.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #26
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
If you look at the Steelers they were very average last year. Some consider 6-10 below average actually. Look at them today. 12-1 with a rookie QB. If our line can come together and we get another back to help us out as Duce Staley helped out the Steeler running game (and we get a multi-task TE) I think we can have a big year next year. If the Steelers can do it....we can. They don't do anything special in the air. They just pound the ball and play good defense.
I was with you all the way until you mentioned good defense. Do you know where we can find one?
Old 12-15-2004   #27
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 28635 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
I am totally missing your point and don't take disagreement as calling out. the "stats" i listed were guesstimation of future years and had nothing to do with actuall stats.
Oh, misread your post - I thought you were bringing up past numbers, not discussing future possibilities. My mistake.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #28
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
By the way, for the Carr isn't a winner, won't battle back, isn't clutch folks (which I am not predicting either way yet--hopefully adequate disclaimer) many of the same things were said the 1st few years for Aikman (not a prediction of future Carr accomplishments--hopefully adequate disclaimer #2) up in Dallas.
I don't really think you should be comparing Carr to Aikman. Aikman won 3 Superbowls and Carr is 5-8. Maybe you should just stop with this and compare Aikman to McNair. I think Carr's more like a Joe Montana.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #29
fresno8
Veteran

Great post, you put a good perspective on Carr. Personally I think he will be very good if he gets a line. He has the competitive fire to lead this team to great things. However the jury is still out on him. I think he can be a gun slinger like Favre (he won't be Favre no one will, but close) if he ever gets the line. With that comes lots of TD's & yards and brilliance, but picks and plays that leave you scratching your head as well. Sometimes watching Favre your in awe and sometimes your like why the heck did he throw that ball. Carr is in the same mold, but earlier in his career with out all the pieces to the puzzle. He's doing fine
fresno8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read